Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Question HELP! Moving Meta-data between libraries

I've made a mistake that I could use some help recovering from. I was helping my wife get our entire Calibre library onto her laptop. Because she already had a bunch of books in Calibre on her laptop, I had her do a big recursive "Add Books" of the files in the Calibre library on the upstairs server. She now has all the books, but a bunch of the meta-data is hosed.

After some thought, I had a forehead-slapping moment when I realized the cause of the problem. When you edit meta-data in Calibre, only the database changes; the modified meta-data is not written to the individual book files. This means that I just had her import the latest-and-greatest lrf files, but NOT the updated meta-data.

Now she's got authors with typos, no series information, missing book summaries, etc. The books themselves are fine but the meta-data is hosed.

My question is this: How can I get the improved meta-data exported from my library and imported to hers?

My first thought was to delete the books we just added (using sort by date to find them), save-to-disk the entire library on the server, and then do yet another recursive add of the books from the server. This has the problem that Libby doesn't want to risk losing any books she already had before today's recursive addition of books -- and some of those prior books were also added today. So this approach got shot down.

My second thought was to ask the assembled brains here whether there is some way I can export meta-data upstairs and import it downstairs. I'm perfectly willing to use the command-line if necessary. Suggestions, anyone?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If the two computers have the same operating system, you can just copy the entire library folder to the client computer and then run calibre on it once with the --with-library command line switch. It will then use the new library on subsequent restarts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert