Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
trianglekitty
Enthusiast
trianglekitty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A snail could outrun this

Ah! I'm getting so frustrated....my computer is having a *terrible* time sending books to my galaxy tab via calibre and calibre companion. I don't think it's any fault of the programs- my computer's CPU is damaged and it's just too much for the poor old dear. Sending just a few books takes fifteen minutes or more and it frequently disconnects. Since I have about five thousand documents to move, this is rather an issue.

Could I just connect the galaxy tab to the computer via usb and move the books from calibre's library into the library folder instead with copy/paste? Would they then show up in calibre companion? Would I still then be able to delete those books on the device by using calibre on my computer? Or any other suggestions to make this process less painful with a damaged/ultra-slow computer?

Edit to add: It looks like uploading the book is only taking seconds. It's sending the metadata between each book that is taking 5+ minutes each time.
Please send help!

Last edited by trianglekitty; 11-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.
trianglekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@trianglekitty: one of the first things we should do is determine where the time is being spent. Could you send me a cc debug log as described in this FAQ? Please erase the multipie.co.uk address. If could be that the problem is on your device, and if so then other solutions/work arounds might be called for.

CC will not see books dropped onto the device in ways other than one of its connection methods, so our first solution attempts should be to use one of those.
  • Have you tried using the calibre content server? Does it have the same performance problems?
  • Do you have a "cloud" account with a provider that CC supports? If so, copy your library to the cloud and then use CC's cloud connection to get them onto your device.
  • Copy your library to an SD card then use CC's "Local library" connection (found in the cloud connection setup) to get the books onto your device.
All of the above will let you later use CC's wireless device connection to manage the library. However, I am concerned that the performance problems will also raise their head in this case. CC & calibre do a lot of things with metadata whenever CC connects. If handling metadata is triggering the slowdown then it will probably happen on every connect.

Another thought: if as you say the time is being spent processing metadata, it could be caused by a critical space shortage on your device. How much space is free in main memory?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote