Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
M*I*B
M*I*B began at the beginning.

Device: none
running Calibre as daemon on Debian11 ?!

Hello there from Germany,

I tried Calibre on my Windows machine first. But since I also run a DIY NAS under Debian11 24/7, it makes sense to install Calibre there...

Said... Done... Failed

The installation went smoothly via
Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
After query, version 5.4.0 is now installed

I got the init script from a German site (I can't find it right now).

If I try to start it manually in the shell without parameters, I get the following message:

Code:
You must specify at least one calibre library
OK, understandable. So try specifying the lib and port:

Code:
calibre-server --with-library=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-9e9ea5b0-27d9-4c40-a2f2-d8a002e0f3a2/Documents/Caliber --port 8080
To my astonishment
Code:
calibre-server: error: no such option: --with-library
I call
Code:
calibre-server --help
on, this parameter is simply missing...

What am I doing wrong here?!?

Greetz
Micha
M*I*B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Look at the calibre-server documentation. The library path is the last argument.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
M*I*B

Hello chaley,

I have take a look there but that also don't work if you just use the path as the only one (and must be the last) option.

Code:
calibre-server --with-library=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-9e9ea5b0-27d9-4c40-a2f2-d8a002e0f3a2/Dokumente/Calibre

... or ...

calibre-server --with-library="/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-9e9ea5b0-27d9-4c40-a2f2-d8a002e0f3a2/Dokumente/Calibre"
ends always with the known error- message:
Code:
calibre-server: error: no such option: --with-library
Also if I use --port at the 1st argument and the --with-library as the 2nd... The error is the same...

It looks like that the 5.40 maybe... eventually don't know the option?!? "no such option" just tell me that ...

Greetz
Micha

Last edited by M*I*B; 04-06-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As the documentation says, there is no "--with-library" prefix. The path to the library is the last argument on the command line, with no --X= (for any X) in front of it.

EDIT: also note you can provide more than one path if you have more than one library.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
M*I*B

... ahhh ok! That makes my evening ;o)
That was the problem with old HowTo's around the web.

Thanx for the hint! Then I will try the next steps tomorrow, if my dentist don't kill me tomorrow morning (I'm very afraid about it ^^)

Greetz
Micha
Advert
Old 04-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Good luck both with your teeth and the server.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:22 PM   #7
M*I*B

for the wishes! Need that

Just tried it again before going to bed and got it running, thanks to your tip...

... I think I had a completely wrong idea of how my wives and I could use the server here on the LAN. I figured I'd find an interface similar to the Windows version, or at least I'd be able to connect to the server with the Calibre for Windows or Android. But other than what you see in the pictures, nothing is there. There isn't even an option for a login so I'm unable to upload anything...

I think I could have saved myself the trouble... Or am I missing something?

Good night...

Greetz
Micha
Old 04-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Take a look at Preferences => Sharing over the net. Check the Require username and password to access the Content server box. Click on the User accounts tab and add users. Grant the users who will be making changes that right.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #9
M*I*B

... I think we both talking about different things ...

I'm talking about to connect i.e. my Calibre-Windows to the Calibre-Linux-Server and NOT to let my Calibre-Windows act as a server itself ...

But now... realy "good night" all together ...
Old 04-06-2022, 06:39 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
From the images you shared, you are connecting to the calibre Content server, a web based interface that is part of calibre. The error message you posted the image of is the one you see when an anonymous user attempts to perform a write operation, as the error say, "Anonymous users are not allowed to make changes". To get around that, you need to set up users for the calibre Content server. You can do that from the GUI which is what I described or you can do it from the command line, see Managing user accounts from the command-line only in the Content server documentation.

If you were trying to connect one running calibre instance to another or to share a database between two running calibre instance? The first is not doable, the second is a great way to corrupt your calibre library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:35 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

What is in the directory /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-9e9ea5b0-27d9-4c40-a2f2-d8a002e0f3a2/Documents/Caliber, or whatever path you used when you started the server? Does that path point to a directory on a disc attached to the server?

Note that the path ends with "caliber", which will be the library name. However, your error message shows the name "calibre". Do you have two libraries, one of which is empty?
Old 04-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #12
M*I*B

Hello again... Back from dentist after 3,5h

Ok, back to topic...

@Davis:
That's all clear at this point but if I create a user in Calibre how can this user login from the minimalist Calibre server WEB-GUI? There isn't any menu or anything else that a user can login with the former created credentials ...
And yes... I have former think that the Calibre on Windows i.e. is usable as an Frontend to a running Calibre-Server-Instance. And that I crash the DB if I use the same folder from different installations is clear like water...

@chaley:
Please ignore the typo "caliber" instead of "calibre". That is my auto-correction I use in Windows that don't know calibre before
And yes. The given path point physically absolut to a share on a RAID10 cluster on the same Debian machine where the Calibre Server is running. This SMB-share is shown in LAN as "UNC:\\SV-OMV-NAS\Dokumente\Calibre" .

Greetz
Micha
(need more IBU...)

Last edited by M*I*B; 04-07-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*I*B View Post
And yes. The given path point physically absolut to a share on a RAID10 cluster on the same Debian machine where the Calibre Server is running. This SMB-share is shown in LAN as "UNC:\\SV-OMV-NAS\Dokumente\Calibre" .
Some things:
  • Running with your library on a NAS isn't supported. See the calibre FAQ on this issue. This could be the cause of your problems.
  • What is in that directory? In particular, does it contain directories for all your authors, and the file "metadata.db"? Do the author directories contain books?
  • How did the library get onto the NAS? If it came from windows you could have case sensitivity issues.
  • What are the permissions on the library directory and all the sub-directories? In particular, does the calibre server have permission to read and write that folder?
  • Do you have a working version of calibre on a windows machine? If so, start it then enable the built-in content server. Using your browser go to that content server. That will show you what a correctly running calibre content server looks like.
  • Does calibre work on your Debian machine? If so then do the same as above. That will establish whether the content server works. NB: I assume you installed calibre V5.40.0, not V5.4.0.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #14
M*I*B

Ok, step by step ...

You have misunderstand me. The NAS is the same Engine where the Calibre-Server is running. The Raid10-cluster is a cluster of that NAS- System itself. So it's her own physically connected DriveArray and the given path while start the Calibre.Daemon (CD) is the physically on it's own machine.

Before I have start the CD the folder was empty (I think so). After the 1st start there are some hidden files and the DB-files in...

There is not any on it... I mean there is one after 1st start but without any entry in...

For testing the permission is set to 777. And also the User CD is running on have full permission to it and downwards

Yes. I will check that out...

Only the CD. The Debian is a headless without X

EDIT for point 2.:
I have stop the CD right now and delete all files in the given folder manually by SCP. Now the folder is empty but I can't start CD now.
Hmmmm... I was sure that CD have create all the files at the 1st start, but now I see that went well. So at the moment I don't know what's going on.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
M*I*B

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*I*B View Post
Yes. I will check that out...
Looks the same on my Windows as on the Debian...

So I thinks that isn't really usable for us as family. We prefer a folder structure that starts at the root with e.g. three entries "daughter / mother / father" and everyone can create their own substructure. I, for example, would then structure by genre, e.g. "Western / SiFi / Fantasy / Science / ..." and below that groupings by series or topic.

It's not so easy to do with caliber, especially not naively and understandable for my wives...