Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Buying via B&N and VPN

I am a newbie to the whole VPN and hiding your IP address thing. My question is; does it matter which computer on our network I install the program on?

I just want to be able to download B&N books with my Nook here in Canada. I'm not really sure what I need to do. I found Hot Spot Shield and installed it on my laptop, but when I try to turn it on, I get this message:

Oops! Firefox could not connect to 127.0.0.1:895

I've reloaded forever, but it's not working. Anybody know anything about this kind of stuff? should I install it on our desktop instead?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I thought the nook works in Canada...?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Have you tried another web browser, for instance Internet Explorer or Google Chrome?
I use Hotspot Shield and Google Chrome in conjunction (well, actually ChromePlus, but thats off track)

Having said that, I've just tried Hotspot Shield with Firefox and it seems to work, but I think I know the problem. I authenticate through Chrome anyway...then again there should be no excuse for HS not to work with Firefox.

Try setting another browser, just temporarily, to the default web browser of the computer and see what happens...
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I am a newbie to the whole VPN and hiding your IP address thing. My question is; does it matter which computer on our network I install the program on?

I just want to be able to download B&N books with my Nook here in Canada. I'm not really sure what I need to do. I found Hot Spot Shield and installed it on my laptop, but when I try to turn it on, I get this message:

Oops! Firefox could not connect to 127.0.0.1:895

I've reloaded forever, but it's not working. Anybody know anything about this kind of stuff? should I install it on our desktop instead?
You should not have to use a VPN in Canada. Because some B&N books are available for Canada, Canadian IP-addresses are allowed.
Registering you B&N account with an US shipping and billing address should be enough to have access to all the books in the B&N store.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Ok, I will try to buy a US only book and see what happens. i thought it would work, but then I was told that it wouldn't work. I already have my addresses set as US.

I will still try to use HotSpot Shield with a different browser and see what happens. I installed it for my nook, but I guess I can use it to watch Hulu and other vids we can't see here.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert