Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #16
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
IMHO for manga it would be better a wider display (at least 9"), rather than a 32gb storage
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Amazon could have given more internal storage or an SD card slot, long ago.
Planned Obsolescence rules!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Amazon could have given more internal storage or an SD card slot, long ago.
Planned Obsolescence rules!
I'm sure that you remember as well as I do all the problems caused by the SD slot on the Kindle 1. Are you really surprised that they dropped it after all that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #19
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that you remember as well as I do all the problems caused by the SD slot on the Kindle 1. Are you really surprised that they dropped it after all that?
Sorry Harry! My kindle adventures only started with the first Paperwhite.
But... whatever the problems, they could've been fixed by now? Some of the competitor's models have it.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
iamlwl
iamlwl began at the beginning.

Device: kpw3
Did your pw3 resurrection
iamlwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlwl View Post
Context please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 AM   #22
Kanzar
Kanzar began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.10.2 - JB
He means did they manage to resurrect the Kindle that was soft bricked.
Kanzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #23
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlwl View Post
no, I think it's dead. It's just a lesson for me to learn now.
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivilyn View Post
no, I think it's dead. It's just a lesson for me to learn now.
You can restore it using the serial port.
Nothing that has been done (that you reported here anyway) has disturbed the 'diags' system, that should still run.

Remember, the Kindles are dual boot systems.

You may have to wait for Amazon to publish an update for that model. They don't usually publish a system image file for what first ships with a new model.

Also, it is still very new.
Just return it to Amazon for exchange as 'broke' under their 'no questions asked' policy.
And when you get your replacement, don't open the box or power it up before you PM me on how to get the factory image off of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just return it to Amazon for exchange as 'broke' under their 'no questions asked' policy.
That would seem a little dishonest. It is in no way whatsoever Amazon's fault. It's purely the OP's actions that have bricked it. Why should Amazon be expected to pay?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
zivilyn
Enthusiast
zivilyn began at the beginning.

Device: Touch, PW2, PW3
Quote:
You can restore it using the serial port.
Nothing that has been done (that you reported here anyway) has disturbed the 'diags' system, that should still run.

You may have to wait for Amazon to publish an update for that model. They don't usually publish a system image file for what first ships with a new model.

And when you get your replacement, don't open the box or power it up before you PM me on how to get the factory image off of it.
Maybe I can try...
zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What problems? Are there some links here? I was not here in the original K1 days. My SD slots work fine on my K1s, but the SD card is very very slow and it takes a lot of extra time to boot (hard reset) with an SD card inserted. I have not noticed other problems, but I do not have it loaded with books, so perhaps book indexing issues? Links please...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-08-2016 at 10:13 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The scanning process when you inserted an SD card was extremely unreliable. Caused no end of problems. I've no links, but if you go back to the time of the K1's release (Nov 2007) I'm sure you'll find threads about it. That's almost certainly why the SD card slot was dropped for the K2.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:26 AM   #29
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Any chance to boot from a bootable pendrive (via usb OTG cable)?
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Any chance to boot from a bootable pendrive (via usb OTG cable)?
Perhaps, the i.MX6 SoC has that ability, but no telling if it is implemented on the Kindle.
PS: The i.MX6 requires a special format - Buildroot(.org) will build it for you.

Easier to implement -
The Kindles will network boot and can mount the file system exported by NFS.