Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
BMCarbaugh
BMCarbaugh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil to Kindlegen: Maintain Blank Pages?

Hi all. I've formatted ebooks before, and my workflow looks something like this: Open office (.odt) -> Sigil (.epub) -> Kindle Previewer (.mobi). I'm very finnicky about my formatting, so I like a lot of fine-grained control.

That said, I do have one problem which has vexed me for as long as I can remember, and I'm sick of just ignoring it:

How the hell do I get Sigil and/or Kindlegen to stop obliterating my blank pages?

I like to use blank pages between sections of the book, or after particularly impactful chapters, because it gives a nice little bit of breathing room. But somewhere in the .epub -> .mobi conversion, blank pages are always stripped out.

Is there any way to force these programs to keep my blank pages? (I've already tried inserting non-breaking spaces, etc).
BMCarbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One way to do it is do not use page breaks. Use an actual XML with no displayable content. That should work.

How are you doing your blank pages now?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
BMCarbaugh

I've tried every method under the sun to insert page-breaks. Page-breaks carried over from Open Office, sigil section-splits, non-breaking spaces, invisible characters, all of the above formatted to the "insert page break before" heading style that all my other headings use, etc.

The only reliable method I've found is to create, within sigil, a dedicated section (ie a separate html file created with the "split at marker" tool) containing an image (a single white pixel). But this is sort of a workaround, and less than ideal.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCarbaugh View Post
I've tried every method under the sun to insert page-breaks. Page-breaks carried over from Open Office, sigil section-splits, non-breaking spaces, invisible characters, all of the above formatted to the "insert page break before" heading style that all my other headings use, etc.

The only reliable method I've found is to create, within sigil, a dedicated section (ie a separate html file created with the "split at marker" tool) containing an image (a single white pixel). But this is sort of a workaround, and less than ideal.
Don't use the single white pixel because if someone was to read it on a tablet, that pixel could very well show up.

Create the XML file with just a single space or a single non-breaking space. That should do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
BMCarbaugh

I'm not sure what you mean. What xml file? My workflow goes from .odt to .epub (which contains a bunch of .xhtml files) then to .mobi.
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

A new XHTML file is the way to force a page break. Will a non-breaking space do as content?

But be careful. Ebooks are not fascimilies of printed books, and shouldn't attempt to be. On an ereader, flipping to a blank page will be perceived as a glitch. Anything but restful!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
BMCarbaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
A new XHTML file is the way to force a page break. Will a non-breaking space do as content?

But be careful. Ebooks are not fascimilies of printed books, and shouldn't attempt to be. On an ereader, flipping to a blank page will be perceived as a glitch. Anything but restful!
Yeah, I know that's what SHOULD work, it just doesn't. A new xhtml file with a space, nb space, invisible character, etc fails to register as content -- so either Sigil or Kindlegen just strips it right out. It's only visible characters that seem to make it through and maintain a page-break.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I know that's what SHOULD work, it just doesn't. A new xhtml file with a space, nb space, invisible character, etc fails to register as content -- so either Sigil or Kindlegen just strips it right out. It's only visible characters that seem to make it through and maintain a page-break.
Long shot from a bunker - how about a tiny completely transparent gif/png.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
so either Sigil or Kindlegen just strips it right out. It's only visible characters that seem to make it through and maintain a page-break.
Gotta be kindlegen stripping them out. I assure you it's not Sigil. Sigil will happily allow you to create files (pages) with either visible or invisible characters in them.

Are you verifying the epubs you create with Sigil have the page-breaks you expect using ADE or some other epub reading software/device before feeding it to Kindlegen? Seems like a logical first step to me. If your extra blank pages appear in ADE, then you can move on to getting advice for kindlegen/mobi creation. If they don't appear in ADE, then you need to figure out what's going wrong in your conversion/export from odt to epub.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gotta be kindlegen stripping them out. I assure you it's not Sigil. Sigil will happily allow you to create files (pages) with either visible or invisible characters in them.

Are you verifying the epubs you create with Sigil have the page-breaks you expect using ADE or some other epub reading software/device before feeding it to Kindlegen? Seems like a logical first step to me. If your extra blank pages appear in ADE, then you can move on to getting advice for kindlegen/mobi creation. If they don't appear in ADE, then you need to figure out what's going wrong in your conversion/export from odt to epub.
AFAIK,

It's certainly not Sigil, assuming arguendo that the "page breaks" or, rather, "blank pages" are made correctly. We should clarify that we are all discussing the same thing.

The OP says:

Quote:
How the hell do I get Sigil and/or Kindlegen to stop obliterating my blank pages?

I like to use blank pages between sections of the book, or after particularly impactful chapters, because it gives a nice little bit of breathing room.
So, he's not simply discussing page-breaks, which are easy; he's trying to deliberately create and deliver blank pages, which, as someone already pointed out, will be considered "glitches" or errors at Amazon by readers (and most likely reported as same).

Kindlegen absolutely strips out blank content of any kind--empty paragraphs, and empty pages. Not that I've tried to deliberately create blanks, other than in FF books.

The only way I see to do this is to put something on the page. The single-pixel approach is as good as any other, I'd say. Of course it's a "workaround," because ebooks aren't supposed to have blank pages, really.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Hitch: that's pretty-much what I assumed the OP was talking about.
I didn't know for sure that kindlegen would strip blank content, but I suspected as much. I just knew it wasn't Sigil. I found it a little odd that the OP didn't examine each phase of the process (ODT looks good; epub looks okay; oops! mobi's F'd up) instead of blasting straight through to mobi and wondering where things went pear-shaped.

So in short: you can add all the extra "blank" pages to your epub that you want using Sigil--no tricks required. But you'll need to fool Kindlegen into believing the extra blank pages contain some sort of actual content (if you don't want them chucked from the resulting kindlebook). That about the gist?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
@Hitch: that's pretty-much what I assumed the OP was talking about.
I didn't know for sure that kindlegen would strip blank content, but I suspected as much. I just knew it wasn't Sigil. I found it a little odd that the OP didn't examine each phase of the process (ODT looks good; epub looks okay; oops! mobi's F'd up) instead of blasting straight through to mobi and wondering where things went pear-shaped.

So in short: you can add all the extra "blank" pages to your epub that you want using Sigil--no tricks required. But you'll need to fool Kindlegen into believing the extra blank pages contain some sort of actual content (if you don't want them chucked from the resulting kindlebook). That about the gist?
That's exactly the gist. You must fooleth KindleGen/KPreviewer, otherwise, it nukes your "empty" elements, whatever they are--paragraphs, pages, yadda.

Diap, you made me chuckle. TY for that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You're welcome.
Everyone loves having a chuckle; and they cost so little give.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would your empty page be ruined by a small decoration? Some equivalent of "This page intentionally left blank"?

(But consider WHY that is often printed on a blank page. I still think you're chasing something that isn't desirable.)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I think the hardest thing for a new author-publisher to get his head around is that e-books don't want to be designed. The worst case is the poet who views typography as part of his or her art. Almost as bad is the author who has never actually been published in real life.

Just as there are no actual pages in an e-book, there are no verso and recto pages. Good grief, there isn't even (or shouldn't be) a half-title page! The copyright page needn't (and, I would argue, shouldn't) follow the title page, but can (and arguably should) go at the back of the book.

And there certainly should be no blank pages.

If any or all of these design features seem crucial, there is probably something lacking in the text.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote