Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 08-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Washington Post

New link, the one from WCC V1.20a does not work anymore.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/ac2/...?language=palm

Link-Depth: 2
Language: English
Old 12-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New link doesn't work either--or at least not anymore!

Anyone found a suitable workaround? Note: it looks at first like an official Post page, but the links all return you to the same page!
Advert
Old 12-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps just a temporary glitch? Or for how long have you been experience this bug at WP?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #4
broth
broth began at the beginning.

I've noticed the same problem for the past few weeks. The first page works and then one more page, usually "World", but sometimes "Style".
Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
zubcut
zubcut began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 2215
This problem does not seem to be temporary. I have periodically checked on it for several weeks but in the meantime I've deleted it from my iSilo channels because of this. Perhaps this site would be a candidate for some of Alex's magic along the lines of MSNBC and the Washington Times (he wrote hopefully).

Thanks
Advert
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I made a link for you to test to WP's Top News:

https://www.mobileread.com/avantgo/wptop_mobile.html

One unfortunate problem which we also recently saw with our C|Net channel: WP checks the referrer for the printer-friendly links. Since it sees our site as the referrer, it doesn't display the printer-friendly version but only the normal version of the article, even though we have the correct printer-friendly url. Interestingly, if you don't transmit any referrer, the printer-friendly link *is* shown. It would be nice to have a feature in Sunrise or iSiloX to either spoof the referrer or to at least disable sending it.

I'm afraid this is as good as it gets with the current referrer problem. Give it a try and tell me what you think. I could easily add more WP channels then...
Old 12-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
broth
broth began at the beginning.

Alexander,

The new link works for me - would be great to have other sections created.

Thanks for the work - I hang out here daily to get the latest. One can never have too much information on their Palm.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Say, that's great. Link works well. It's too bad the Post set it up so that tapping on the headline takes one to a brief first then the full story rather than directly to the full story.

Now that the Post is taken care of, what about the New York Times? The last version of the iSilo link I used create monstrously larger files (the graphics for the first letter of each story) so I changed it, no first letter hence smaller faster files, but one still has to scroll down through pages of non-useful links to get to the headlines.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson
Say, that's great. Link works well. It's too bad the Post set it up so that tapping on the headline takes one to a brief first then the full story rather than directly to the full story.
You are the second who mentions this as a negative point. Originally intended as a feature, I come to think it might be better to change it. I will think of a nicer html output, but probably not before January. The whole system is still very beta, and I also intend to build a database-driven system next year.

Here are the other links:
WP Top News
WP Politics
WP Nation
WP World
WP Metro
WP Style
WP Business
WP Technology
WP Health
WP Education
WP Real Estate
WP Real Sports

As I said, I wish the printer-friendly links would work. But they only work if the referring site is WP or if the referrer is turned-off completely.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Yippie! This is a vast improvement over the crummy quality Avantgo product.

Signed,
Very Happy Washingtonian
Old 04-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
simulator
simulator began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6630
Thumbs up Thanks so much

I've been struggling to find this - another grateful washingtonian!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I think the feed require an update. Why did noone inform me? Lynn?

I'll have a look at that asap.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #13
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
What can I say? I got used to it...

I'm just thankful to be reading ANY WP content on my pda.

Btw, are you taking requests on the update? I have a few but I don't want to tax you.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #14
Montalvo
Connoisseur
Montalvo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Montalvo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Montalvo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: TT
Quote:
As I said, I wish the printer-friendly links would work.
Maybe I miss something, but they work if you change in each link:

.html?nav=rss_technology
for
_pf.html

Using your link, and as an example, I created this:
http://tupalmx.com/pruebasphp/grab_wpost1.php

and it works with iSiloX.

Last edited by Montalvo; 08-06-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montalvo
Maybe I miss something, but they work if you change in each link:
Thanks for the hint Montalvo! WP changed the format of the URL to the printer-friendly version as you pointed out. I fixed the links accordingly!