Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
Trim it back

Today I've been working on a draft for a story, which will hopefully become the final draft, and my main objective has been trimming back overgrowth in my sentences. The bad thing about this story is that I wrote it while going through a phase where I wanted more complex and interesting sentence structure, to some degree that worked, but it also resulted in a lot of unwieldy sentences that went on far too long. Also, a lot of bloated sentence with too many words.

So, I've been cutting and I realized all over again how much fun that is to do. It sounds odd, but it's almost like a game for me. I try to make my sentences as short as possible, while still retaining all the important information. It all stems back to a kick in the backside I got from someone whom I let read an excerpt, they pointed out that my sentences were looking a little rough around the edges. Sometimes, you really do need that kind of thing.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like a bit of classic editing J. Garrett. Cutting out anything that doesn't contribute to the story and so forth. And then there is Mr. Strunk's advice to 'omit needless words.'
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think we can all relate to the experience of going ouch when you re-read sentences written long ago.
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have been known to spin sentences on for a full paragraph... you just get rolling on something and suddenly woosh!

Chop away!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Mainly I find that have to watch for redundant clauses and editorial notes. Things like "he looked around and saw". There's a lot you write because you write what's happening in your head, it's only when you come back that you realise that the reader will do many those bits for you, you don't need to tell them.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
I can think of a lot of mainstream writers who could do much more with less. I used to enjoy Stephen King back in the day, now I joke that I stopped reading him since he decided he wanted to spend 25 pages describing someone walking across the street.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is so me. My sentences do run on . . . and on . . . and on. Even so, I have a terrible time building total word count.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I would like to paraphrase that notable Prussian Marshal of Napoleonic times with a little twist:

~Today my children, we fly the Black Flag. We will give no quarter. I will myself shoot the first writer, I see give quarter to redundancy, or run on sentences.~
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
The book I'm working on right now had really bad problems with run-on sentences. I was just going through a phase! I've at least been able to improve since then, now it's just a matter of going through the whole thing and reworking about 25% of the sentences.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote