Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
you-scream sammich - ics sources 4.0 4.01

known/anticipated, and not that this is a a point to help us still, but we'll see. also honeycomb sources not exactly officially released, but they're previous commits in the git tree of 4.x just not labelled as such.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ore-christmas/
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
YeeHa! CM9!!!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
My dumb butt doesn't even understand what this all means to us PE owners.......
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
probably nothing if the eink separation can not be ported, also the fs is not standard, so we may never get anything apart from ermine
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
ubi is standard, it's just a fs on top of mtd. If we could get the config file used to create the ubi fs or even recreate it from the existing ubifs we might be able to restructure it.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

nobody was yet able to get a modified uboot with easy recovery yet. so wondering if anything, i think due to specs i will be more than happy with a working gingerbread.
I am still struggling to repair some bad blocks from uboot without any luck!
interesting is that guruplug and sheevaplug appear to be on a platform very similar with ours, so the android devs on those may help
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
vicinc
Guru

this is the max somebody got on a similar tablet on our specs
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...under-mid.html
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
no xmas presents for the eDGe, but the unrelated good news is that android-x86 has the ICS sources in their repository, so I'm in the process of building for my thinkpad x61 tablet - their generic gingerbread image runs pretty good on there already, but not optimal. I am pretty happy that a laptop I was planning to sell for what little I could get for it, is now going to become a very nice 12" android tablet...
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I heard somewhere that you have to have a separate graphics controller in order to run ICS. I own an Optimus V phone and they are making nice progress on porting ICS to it but not so much on other phones because of integrated graphics...

I wouldn't get my hopes up on seeing anything newer than Gingerbread for the Edge - and I wouldn't even count on that.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
Wow... is this thread even in English?!
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru

to be honest i will settle for a stable GB.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
Wow... is this thread even in English?!
Just a quick rundown... Google names its versions of Android after certain foods. Entourage named their builds something completely different:

1.5 = Android "Cupcake"
1.6 = Android "Donut" (Entourage "Dingo")
2.1 = Android "Eclair"
2.2 = Android "Froyo" (Entourage "Ermine")
2.3 = Android "Gingerbread"
3.X = Android "Honeycomb"
4.X = Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" or "ICS"

Versions "Cupcake" through "Gingerbread" were designed with cell phones in mind - meaning that for tablets to run those operating systems the software had to be tweaked significantly. They can get by with this because the Android software (Like its Linux foundation) is open source.

When "Honeycomb" came out it was designed to be a tablet-only operating system. Because of this you won't find many (if any) phones that run on "Honeycomb".

When Google released "ICS" they claim that "ICS" is designed to run on everything - and by everything they mean tablets *AND* phones. Some people misunderstood that statement and think that their dated equipment will be able to run "ICS" with no problems when in fact doing this would be the equivalent of trying to run Windows 7 on an old 386 computer - it simply isn't going to happen.

Devices still have to meet certain hardware requirements in order to run "ICS" and the Edge devices simply do not meet these requirements.

I'd expect to see WebOS to run on an Edge device long before ICS ever does but to be honest I really don't ever see either happening. Don't get me wrong I love my Edge but as it ages its support community will diminish and development will come to a grinding halt. I haven't seen any for sale in bulk in a few months now so I think it's pretty safe to say that all inventory of the Edge devices are most likely depleted. It's all downhill from here.

Last edited by MasterTec; 12-13-2011 at 01:34 PM.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
rebeltaz
Connoisseur
rebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enoughrebeltaz will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket eDge
Wow! Thank you SO much for that quick lesson in Android technology! I hadn't actually expected a reply to that comment, but I do appreciate it.

It's amazing the names that companies give their OSs!
rebeltaz is offline   Reply With Quote