Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
eink word processor?

Hello there,

I sometimes type things of length equivalent to memos through the Kindle web browser and it's not too shabby of a writing experience. I would so much like to have a larger keyboard and a faster refresh rate though. Do you think something like this is planned by anyone? Or is the market for such a device too small

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Too small. People like general purpose for the most part, and unless eInk can get fast enough, and colorful enough to be used as a primary display, don't expect it. Personally, I'd love an eInk terminal, for commandline work.

If it was 20-30 years ago, I could see an eink word processor being all the rage. Just, not now.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Too small. People like general purpose for the most part, and unless eInk can get fast enough, and colorful enough to be used as a primary display, don't expect it. Personally, I'd love an eInk terminal, for commandline work.

If it was 20-30 years ago, I could see an eink word processor being all the rage. Just, not now.
Yes - my old 1995 Cassiopeia (spelling?) came pretty close to what an e-ink screen with a small keyboard would be like. At its time it was a state of the art hi tech device but these days it would probably be seen as quaint! Unfortunately it's no longer compatible with any modern computer but it does still work.
Wouldn't a very small netbook computer do the same thing?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose I'll buy a netbook then, just wanted something I could toss around and not have to worry about batteries dying.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, if e-ink can do video...

I would like seeing one myself, because I like to write, but staring at a PC monitor gets old. It's also all too easy to distract yourself by surfing the web or something as opposed to writing on a full computer.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, if e-ink can do video...

I would like seeing one myself, because I like to write, but staring at a PC monitor gets old. It's also all too easy to distract yourself by surfing the web or something as opposed to writing on a full computer.
Or you could (gasp!!) turn off the internet connection.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Clash
Clash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Or you could () turn off the internet connection.
I've tried that. What happens is I need to research something, and after researching it, I start browsing random stuff again.
Clash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well there's this:
Three online notepads that work with the Kindle
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I had a Palm m125, which I loved. What I would really like is a larger version of that - perhaps 5-7" screen size. I had a folding IR keyboard to go with for when I wanted to write longer documents and had a flat space handy, otherwise the handwriting was great for jotting down quick notes wherever I was.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thanks for the links, although I fear the Kindle Keyboard isn't designed for heavy typing, only one way to find out lol.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The answer for "heavy typing" on tablet devices is probably external Bluetooth keyboards. A number of devices have these available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
lcd tablet + BT keyboard
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote