Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Auto-hyphenation in Preview Panel?

I built an ebook last month, and everything went as usual. I started another yesterday, and I was astonished to see hyphenated words in the Preview Panel. In Code View, those words would be underlined in red for the portion that had been pushed onto the next line. I can make the hyphenation disappear if I change the width of the Preview Panel, but the red line remains.

Have I missed something? Is this a new option?

Sigil 0.9.6, Windows 7 Professional.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Sigil doesn't hyphentate words. Most likely one of the external tools that you used inserted soft-hyphens.
Activate the Regex mode in Sigil and search for \xAD to find/replace them.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can there actually be soft hyphens in the html that are not visible in Code View?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Depends of if the entity was added to the Preserve Entity's preference and what its character value looks like on screen
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Can there actually be soft hyphens in the html that are not visible in Code View?
Of course there can. A soft hyphen character is not code.

As Kevin mentioned, you can add ­ to the list of Preserved Entities in Sigil's preferences and when you save, any invisible soft-hyphen characters will be converted to visible html entities. But if it's not added, it (and several other zero-width unicode characters) will be invisible.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-25-2017 at 04:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer

"31 replacements made" my goodness.

I've gone Word > html > Sigil with dozens of books without encountering the invisible soft hyphen. Could it be ABBYY Finereader putting them in? (It was scanning a published book from the 1960s.) I've only ever scanned one other book for publication, and that was several years ago. It may have had them and I didn't notice (there being no Preview Panel at the time).

Thank you!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
ABBYY does insert them, in case it identifies a hyphen at the end of the line and knows the word without the hyphen.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
ABBYY does insert them, in case it identifies a hyphen at the end of the line and knows the word without the hyphen.
Is that something that only occurs in Finereader DOCX output?

Can't say I ever saw soft hyphens in the other outputs.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer

(Actually, I find that there are hundreds of them. The count of 31 was evidently only a single chapter's worth.)
Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Is that something that only occurs in Finereader DOCX output?

Can't say I ever saw soft hyphens in the other outputs.
I don't know, I mostly use DOCX output and one of the first actions is to remove them.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote