Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #46
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintodrimmer View Post
On a related note, has anyone figured a way to run GIT from Kobo?
This would solve all of the possible back-up and synchronisation issues for me.
So far I've seen KoboToolbox, but I don't think it's related to the Kobo eReaders.

I haven’t heard of that. Perhaps you could inquire in the Kobo developers forum. Somebody might know there. In lieu of managing backups on my Kobo, I run rsync frequently when I plug my Kobo into my Mac. It saved my butt last night when my Elipsa developed a corrupt database again, and I had just backed it up within the hour. For redundancy’s sake, I also keep a copy of the .nebo files on a separate hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's bundled in my usual bundle o' tools. (Not directly, because it needs to eat a tiny chunk of the rootfs, c.f., the very bottom of the README ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #48
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Thanks NiLuJe, seems like exactly what I was looking for!
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keep in mind that Elipsa support is still a bit wonky there for the device-specific bits (i.e., I haven't updated FBInk in there, and the USBNet scripts are also outdated).

I'll fix that in a few weeks .
Old 07-27-2021, 03:06 AM   #50
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
language recognition

I played with the advanced notebook note taking yesterday night.
With French (the UI language on my readers), my bad writing was impressively well recognized, but I didn't find a way to correct occasional mistakes - like changing a letter in the middle of a word.
English seemed ok too, though I didn't write much. German was so-so but Italian was appalling. I got bored and didn't test Spanish.
I would be interested in the experience of users with Italian UI language, when the notebook might be expecting Italian.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:26 AM   #51
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Given that the tech is licensed from a French startup, that's not entirely surprising .

IIRC, you can scribble over/cross off a letter/word to delete it, but that might only work in notebooks... (The exact gesture was detailed in the in-app help).
Old 07-27-2021, 05:29 AM   #52
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Can anyone check the lighting uniformity on their Elipsa?
I got a replacement device which goes from yellow-ish to blue-ish and I'm fairly certain the original one didn't have such an issue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	elipsa_lighting.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	188376
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Mine's not uniform, but probably not as bad as this.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #54
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elipsa Notebooks Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Given that the tech is licensed from a French startup, that's not entirely surprising .

IIRC, you can scribble over/cross off a letter/word to delete it, but that might only work in notebooks... (The exact gesture was detailed in the in-app help).

*Technically* you are correct. That's how it's supposed to work, but the advanced notebooks can get super glitchy sometimes. I've found it easier to delete the entire sentence and start over than to try and edit one word. It seems that certain patches or spaces in the notebook become glitch areas where letter forms will break apart or lose strokes. You can't rework those areas reliably by scribbling over for deleting. It's better to just erase the whole sentence, exit out of the notebook, then go back in. And even if it isn't a "glitch area" as I call it, I have noticed that the editing routines aren't quite polished. Technically, I should be able to just scribble over a typo, then insert the fixed text, but then the Elipsa introduces spaces or new lines in the word I'm trying to fix. Again, I find it more practical to erase the word, or even sentence, and just start again.

It's not something that always happens, but I've run into it quite a bit. I expect it will be addressed in a firmware update. Kobo seems to be prioritizing the annotation aspects of the Elipsa in their bug fixes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 07-27-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #55
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Elipsa Notebooks Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintodrimmer View Post
Can anyone check the lighting uniformity on their Elipsa?
I got a replacement device which goes from yellow-ish to blue-ish and I'm fairly certain the original one didn't have such an issue.
Attachment 188376

I, too, notice a slight difference where the right side tends to be brighter and bluer in tint, and the light tint gets warmer and more dim towards the left and bottom left. I have a replacement device as well, and both seemed similar. Any discoloration you see in my sample photo has been introduced by jpeg compression. The gradation of light across the tablet is almost uniform for my unit. Perhaps the difference is more noticeable because the screen is far larger than my Clara’s, but the variation in light isn’t pronounced and doesn’t bother me.

On an unrelated note, I forgot to mention that I have found changing navigation from swipe & tap to just swipe fixes the random page turning that I was encountering while writing in my notebooks. The Elipsa's palm detection just isn't up to snuff, so if you're frustrated with pages turning on you while you are adding to your journal mid-sentence or mid-stroke, this preference change should fix that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 07-27-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:42 AM   #56
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I don't own an Elipsa myself but considering one. I've noticed that already there seems to have been quite a few updates to the device since launch. I was therefore wondering if the latency when using the pen has been improved noticeably since the device came out?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:22 AM   #57
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Elipsa Notebooks Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I don't own an Elipsa myself but considering one. I've noticed that already there seems to have been quite a few updates to the device since launch. I was therefore wondering if the latency when using the pen has been improved noticeably since the device came out?

It seems to me that it has.

Update a few days later: I have now encountered the latency. It’s as if I’m writing faster than the Elipsa can render. I am comfortable writing, being able to predict where the letter forms are supposed to be despite not being rendered yet and being able to “see” where to cross Ts and dot Is, but I can understand how the lag would give some people trouble. I was writing about two to three letters ahead of the Elipsa. I don’t often see the lag that bad. However, the Elipsa also crashed while I was writing. Also, the lag returned. Eventually, it seemed that I had come to the end of the advanced journal. No new space was being generated. Also, I noticed that some parts of letters disappeared as I reached the end, and the eraser stopped functioning no matter how many times I refreshed the page.

Then I tried to export my journal, but the Elipsa forgot the WiFi access just for the exporting, which failed. Even saving to “Computer” failed. Dropbox could save to text, but the text version of the journal ended up being incomplete. After I rebooted twice, I found I had to enter the journal and export from within there to be successful on all formats and locations. Tapping on the journal’s icon to access export in the drop down menu did not work.

At any rate, after a reboot, my Elipsa is working fine again. That journal is working fine. The lag has disappeared. I now know that when encountering the lag, I should quickly save what I’m doing and reboot. It seems to be a harbinger of doom. LOL

Last edited by Cootey; 08-18-2021 at 02:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:24 AM   #58
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Anybody else notice that the stylus battery lasts an amazingly long time. I finally replaced mine after four or more weeks with a rechargeable AAAA battery, but only because I anticipated it would run out of juice one day soon. The charge indicator was still "OK" when I replaced it. (Sure wish that indicator was numeric rather than cute.)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #59
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
Just in case anyone has found it already and can save me the time.
I am going to look through my Elipsa to see if I can find where the notebook backgrounds are stored to see if I can add my own.
they might not be stored as graphics, they may be drawn on the screen, but I'll have alook.
I hate to resurrect an old thread but did you ever make any progress on this? I'm trying to determine if it's possible to do this on my Elipsa but so far haven't been able to find any useful info.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote