Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #31
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question

Hi everyone,

I just updated my forma and realized the the the difference how the invert screen is working now. Before I was also able to switch between the modes directly and instantly in the book, now -as you already wrote- I have to go over the main menu or the toc. I also updated nickelmenu to latest 0.5.2.
I there a way how get the old switching way back?
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #32
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Pan View Post
Hi everyone,

I just updated my forma and realized the the the difference how the invert screen is working now. Before I was also able to switch between the modes directly and instantly in the book, now -as you already wrote- I have to go over the main menu or the toc. I also updated nickelmenu to latest 0.5.2.
I there a way how get the old switching way back?
In order of relative ease and speed. Obviously 2 and 3 might switch places depending on ones financial situation. 4 is placed last because I’m presuming a cost to learn the language and time to do so, and then learning the ins and outs of Nickle.

1) revert to the older firmware

2) buy an Elipsa, Sage, or Libra 2

3) Wait for geek to have the time to figure out how to get the toggle in nickelmenu to trigger the change from within the book instantly

4) learn to code in whatever nickelmenu is in and figure it out for Geek.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #33
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Okay, so I'll choose 1 for a bit longer
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #34
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
2) buy an Elipsa, Sage, or Libra 2
Does toggling Dark Mode (NickelMenu) in the reading menu work there? Perhaps it was mentioned somewhere and I missed it.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #35
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Does toggling Dark Mode (NickelMenu) in the reading menu work there? Perhaps it was mentioned somewhere and I missed it.
Not with nick’s but those devices all allow you to toggle it in the reading settings natively
Old 10-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #36
jsessions
Enthusiast
jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jsessions ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo & Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
You can toggle Dark Mode in NickleMenu using geek1011's file linked in this post (also read the posts leading up to this):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=555

It works for me on a Clara although you need to enable it on home page before starting to read or if enabled when reading you need to re-open book for screen to switch.

Last edited by jsessions; 10-25-2021 at 06:18 AM.
jsessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #37
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I wrote the original post in this topic, but someone on Reddit asked for instructions and since I've learned more since I wrote that post, I created a new guide to implementing both Dark Mode and classic invert mode on older Kobo devices. Here it is:

It's easy to add to the Clara HD, at least, and I imagine to others, and even if Dark Mode doesn't work (which inverts text but not images, and only within books), you can still easily get the old invert mode (which inverts both text and images and all screens everywhere). Make sure you're on the latest firmware for your device (do a sync first), then the tool you need is the version of Nickel Menu you can get here (make sure you're using this version):

Once you've installed Nickel Menu, you'll find a new folder named \.adds\nm on your Kobo reader. Copy the file below as config-nickel-menu.txt to that folder, and disconnect your reader. It should reboot, and you'll find a new "Nickel Menu" menu icon on the various screens of your Kobo.

More about Nickel Menu is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525

Note: with the latest firmware, you can toggle dark mode, but on older devices, you have to close then reopen your book (or open the table of contents or the annotations listing from within the book) to make the Kobo recognize that you've switched modes, and to get the classic invert mode (text and images, and all screens, inverted), the Kobo needs to reboot itself for it to take effect (all your content will be fine); the Nickel Menu definitions I've provided do that automatically, although it takes several seconds to happen).

You can get my Nickel Menu file here:

https://sfwriter.com/config-nickel-menu.txt

Feel free to remove or comment out (by adding a "#" to the front of the line) items that are irrelevant to your usage. Not that the Nickel Menu file needs Unix/Mac style line endings (life-feed only), not DOS/Windows ones (carriage return followed by line-feed). If your file editor creates a *.BAK file, delete that when you're finished editing:

Code:
# DON'T FORGET TO ERASE *.BAK FILE
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
menu_item :main    :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :main    :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
    chain_success                   :power          :reboot
menu_item :main    :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :main    :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :main    :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :main    :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :main    :Screenshots     :nickel_setting :toggle :screenshots
menu_item :reader  :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader  :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :reader  :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :reader  :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :reader  :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :library :Dark Mode       :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :library :Invert & Reboot :nickel_setting :toggle: invert
menu_item :library :Portrait        :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :library :> Landscape     :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :library :< Landscape     :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
menu_item :library :My Articles     :nickel_open: library: pocket
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 01-09-2022 at 11:48 AM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #38
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
Thanks. I do get an error on my Libra H2O using the latest firmware - "unknown setting name "toggle" (arg: 'toggle: dark_mode') (src/action_cc.cc:356)

I assume that this is due to an older device? Dark mode is available in the devmode menu but not elsewhere. The "invert and reboot" function does work.
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
Thanks. I do get an error on my Libra H2O using the latest firmware - "unknown setting name "toggle" (arg: 'toggle: dark_mode') (src/action_cc.cc:356)

I assume that this is due to an older device? Dark mode is available in the devmode menu but not elsewhere. The "invert and reboot" function does work.
Search this forum section for "unknown setting".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #40
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post

Are you using nickelmenu to set this? If so, use the latest nickel menu version.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:15 AM   #41
MGlitch
Wizard

Just to add on, the version of nickelmenu you need is in post 555 of the NM thread
Old 01-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #42
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, folks, please read my instructions carefully. You must use this version of NickelMenu -- the exact one I linked to and said "Make sure you're using this version." AGAIN: USE ONLY THE VERSION IN THIS MESSAGE:

Old 01-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Yes, folks, please read my instructions carefully. You must use this version of NickelMenu -- the exact one I linked to and said "Make sure you're using this version." AGAIN: USE ONLY THE VERSION IN THIS MESSAGE:

Which version should I use?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #44
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which version should I use?

For this, John, I give you an F.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Robert, one setting I suggest you put in your NickelMenu config is the force USB setting. It allows you to toggel USB without having to unplug and replug the USB cable for updating the database after adding more eBook(s).

Code:
menu_item : main : USB : nickel_misc : force_usb_connection
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote