Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Question Custom columns when adding books

I suspect the answer to this is no but I wanted to double check.

When using the 'Configure Metadata From Title' option in adding books is there a way to get Calibre to add metadata to columns other than Title, Author, Series, Series Index, Publisher, ISBN, and Published?

For instance could I setup up a regular expression template so that it would add to the tags column or, even better, to a custom column? I've tried and not had it work but I don't know if it's because of my lack of python/regular expressions knowledge or if it just won't work. I know I can tell Calibre to automatically add a tag every time I import a book but for this purpose I would need to change that tag so frequently it wouldn't be time efficient.

Thanks,

Beth
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, only builtin columns are supported, but you can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to transfer data froma builtin column to a custom one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, only builtin columns are supported, but you can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to transfer data froma builtin column to a custom one.
I get what you're saying about using the bulk edit feature, it's what I do now. I was just hoping to streamline it a bit.

What you're saying about builtin columns leaves me a little confused though. The Tags column is a builtin column, yes? Does that mean I could use a regular expression to add info from the filename as I'm importing the books? If so how? I tried the following expression:

(?P<tags>.+) - (?P<title>.+) - (?P<author>[^_]+)

using this as a sample file:

Fantasy - Title - Author.txt

And while it properly picked up the Title and Author it didn't pick up Fantasy as a tag.

Thanks,

Beth
Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@ BookJunkieLI just checking

Are you sure you are set to read metadata from the file name?

The setting only allows one way or the other (books metadata).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

@theducks Yes. I have the Read Metadata From File Contents box unchecked so it should only be reading it from the filename. Plus I'm testing it out on a txt file which wouldn't have any internal metadata to begin with.
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
@theducks Yes. I have the Read Metadata From File Contents box unchecked so it should only be reading it from the filename. Plus I'm testing it out on a txt file which wouldn't have any internal metadata to begin with.
Good to know that was correct.
We will need to wait as I rarely have luck with my import regex
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Good to know that was correct.
We will need to wait as I rarely have luck with my import regex
LOL Yeah, I tend to do a lot of cut and paste from Penguinaka's old thread about book imports and regex. Unfortunately this wasn't one of the things covered.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Doh!
Going to 'The Add Process' form

tags does not exist in the list of test fields

I believe, those are all that can be used
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

OK a work around:

Preferences: Adding Books: Tags to apply

Fill in the Tag(s), then select JUST those books to add.
Add..

Adjust this and repeat as needed
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Thanks. I was aware of that option but haven't used it because I'd have to change the tags every couple of books. I was hoping for an easy way to streamline the process. For now I'll simply go with my method of including it in the title then using the bulk edit search and replace.