Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #46
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, I went and bought the new iPad mini. Really liking it. It will be much better for most reading than my iPad Air 2 (2016?) is.

Also got Logitech Crayon. I have Apple Pencil I’ve been using with iPad Pro if I want to use it with the mini.

The crayon is similar to Adonit styluses I have used in past (button to turn it on, charge up) except it does not work with anything but the latest generation iPads (does not function as capacitative stylus as the Adonit does). For the advanced features (pressure sensitivity, programmable buttons) apps had to integrate with Adonit SDK (many drawing apps do). The Crayon charges with Lightning cable which is convenient.

It seems other 3rd party styli might copy some of these features (instant pairing, charge with Lightning), capacitative tip, and add custom buttons and pressure-sensitivity via SDK as before.

I should see if my Adonit works with this, seems it should.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #47
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well, I went and bought the new iPad mini. Really liking it. It will be much better for most reading than my iPad Air 2 (2016?) is.

Also got Logitech Crayon. I have Apple Pencil I’ve been using with iPad Pro if I want to use it with the mini.

The crayon is similar to Adonit styluses I have used in past (button to turn it on, charge up) except it does not work with anything but the latest generation iPads (does not function as capacitative stylus as the Adonit does). For the advanced features (pressure sensitivity, programmable buttons) apps had to integrate with Adonit SDK (many drawing apps do). The Crayon charges with Lightning cable which is convenient.

It seems other 3rd party styli might copy some of these features (instant pairing, charge with Lightning), capacitative tip, and add custom buttons and pressure-sensitivity via SDK as before.

I should see if my Adonit works with this, seems it should.
Cool. I bought my iPad Mini 5 a month or so ago and really have loved using it. It's so much faster than the iPad Mini 4.

I have an Apple pencil version 1. I liked it well enough when I got it, but between forgetting to charge it and forgetting to carry it with me, I got out of the habit of using it. Of course, I'm not an artists so I mostly just used it instead of my finger rather than to sketch with.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #48
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Nice! Give us a write-up after using for a bit, interested to hear your reactions. For me, it is almost taking over all my ebook reading and replacing my Kindle, which is gathering dust. The apps and reading experience are so much better.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #49
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
For me, when I got an iPad mini 2 many years ago I quickly stopped using Kindles and started using iPads and iPhones with Retina screens for 95% of my reading. I have the older basic Kindle (without a built-in light), but it mostly collects dust. The only thing it is used for is occasionally reading while outdoors in bright sunlit areas. Otherwise the Kindles (and all other eInk devices) are inferior IMO.

As far as speed, I don't have a mini 5 yet, but my iPhone XR has the same processor and it blows away my iPad Pro 9.7" on speed! So the mini 5 should indeed be very fast compared to older iPads. I still hope to get a mini 5 some day, preferably before they are obsolete.

BTW, yesterday I checked the value of trading in my iPad Pro 9.7" on a mini 5 and it has dropped in value from $189 when the mini 5 was announced to $171. WTF Apple! I would likely sell it on eBay if I decided to trade up, although I hate eBay with a passion, or just keep it as the sound is great on the Pro.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #50
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
I'm on the fence between the Pencil and the Logitech Crayon. I like the Crayon for price, better charging design, and longer charge holding, but I hate the orange color, whereas I like the Pencil styling, but have concerns on the frequency of charging due to it not holding a charge for very long plus the charging design sucks. I'm leaning toward the Crayon and painting the orange parts white.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #51
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far I haven't had any complaints about the AP1 charging, or holding a charge. With the included adapter attached to my regular lighting cable as pictured earlier, it's never an issue charging it. I've found so far I can charge, use it a bit, and leave it sit there up to a week, it'll still have plenty of battery left. Last time I charged it I think was 6 days ago, used lightly for 2 hours, haven't used since and kept it paired. Right now it shows 56%. Maybe if I were using it a lot daily I'd be more concerned about how long it can hold a charge, but really it's been a non-issue so far. I have no experience with the Logitech so cannot comment on comparison. What I can say about AP1, having used it a lot now in the Ipad, is it's hands down the best electronic stylus I have ever used. It just gets out of the way and works, like a real pencil, which is exactly what I want.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #52
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
So far I haven't had any complaints about the AP1 charging, or holding a charge. With the included adapter attached to my regular lighting cable as pictured earlier, it's never an issue charging it. I've found so far I can charge, use it a bit, and leave it sit there up to a week, it'll still have plenty of battery left. Last time I charged it I think was 6 days ago, used lightly for 2 hours, haven't used since and kept it paired. Right now it shows 56%. Maybe if I were using it a lot daily I'd be more concerned about how long it can hold a charge, but really it's been a non-issue so far. I have no experience with the Logitech so cannot comment on comparison. What I can say about AP1, having used it a lot now in the Ipad, is it's hands down the best electronic stylus I have ever used. It just gets out of the way and works, like a real pencil, which is exactly what I want.
So it doesn't turn on while just carrying in a case or pocket due to movement? I saw an earlier poster mentioned that due to Apple using a sensitive motion activated power switch, their battery drains very fast even when not in use.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #53
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
So it doesn't turn on while just carrying in a case or pocket due to movement? I saw an earlier poster mentioned that due to Apple using a sensitive motion activated power switch, their battery drains very fast even when not in use.
At first the battery drain on my AP1 when not in use was not too bad, but after a year or so the battery drain was significant. The battery has degraded quite a bit in a fairly short time. Probably a poor battery design. Mine definitely could not be fully charged then sit idle for a week and not be nearly, or completely, drained.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #54
hollowpoint
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
It doesn't drain fast now even keeping it near the Ipad. But as Otin says, the rate of drain will probably increase as the battery ages. Obviously the design of the AP1 didn't take much thought for longevity of the device.

ETA: But a bare minimum requirement for me, is that the thing needs to WORK, and WORK WELL. So in that regard, the AP1 nails it. If I have to buy another one 18-24 months down the road, so be it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #55
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
It doesn't drain fast now even keeping it near the Ipad. But as Otin says, the rate of drain will probably increase as the battery ages. Obviously the design of the AP1 didn't take much thought for longevity of the device.

ETA: But a bare minimum requirement for me, is that the thing needs to WORK, and WORK WELL. So in that regard, the AP1 nails it. If I have to buy another one 18-24 months down the road, so be it.
Totally agree—the AP1 gets the job done. Mine still retains enough charge to be useful when I need it.