Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #61
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Too true, alas. If I woke up baseball czarina, my first fiat would be to get rid of the blinking DH.

But what can you do? I'm a birthright Yankees fan. "Love is not love Which alters...."
The second fiat should abolish interleague play.

After that, the instant intentional walk and instant replay have got to go.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #62
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
I most certainly do not! I'm in New England, but I'm from New York.
Oops- I blew that didn’t I! Would there be any redemption points for being 5 generations out from Staten Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I would just like to point out that both the Yankees and the Red Sox are well below .500 right now.

Go Mariners!
How very good of you to point that out! It has been a bit dismal, but the season is young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
AL teams don't even play real baseball!
A DH does seem a bit like playing blackjack with a fist full of wild cards.

(Apologies for this rabbit hole - I promise to get back on track.)
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The second fiat should abolish interleague play.

After that, the instant intentional walk and instant replay have got to go.
Agree on all counts. As for the first, it was idiotic to even up the leagues with 15 teams apiece, as that made tons of interleague play unavoidable. Time to go to a 16/14 split, with two divisions in each league. If they love the wild card that much, I could even live with the two division winners and two wildcards in the playoffs. (That one-off playoff between the two wildcard teams is also dreadful.)
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #64
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The book I was referring too (The Carpet People) is not a Discworld novel. It was Pratchett's first published novel, intended for younger readers, about a civilisation of tiny people living in the carpet. It was first published in 1971, but revised and republished in 1992 - hence it having two authors, one new to the craft, the second famous and more experienced.

I thoroughly recommend pretty much anything by Pratchett, and his books for younger readers make a great way to discover whether you like his voice (his books have a very distinctive voice). Especially keep an eye out for The Bromeliad trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings), these would definitely be part of any desert island collection of mine.

Which makes me wonder whether there is a theme in "Desert Island Collection" ? Just a thought.
Great - thanks for the recommendations gmw. I’m definitely going to check him out. And maybe The Amazing Maurice will reappear as another nomination.

I think it would be interesting to see what everyone would pack for their desert collection.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #65
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Agree on all counts. As for the first, it was idiotic to even up the leagues with 15 teams apiece, as that made tons of interleague play unavoidable. Time to go to a 16/14 split, with two divisions in each league. If they love the wild card that much, I could even live with the two division winners and two wildcards in the playoffs. (That one-off playoff between the two wildcard teams is also dreadful.)
They could even add two teams if they want to, make it 16/16, with 8-team divisions. Teams should play more games in their own divisions, as they used to. After 162 games, one playoff round is enough--no wildcards.

And Houston and Milwaukee need to switch back to the leagues they belong in.
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #66
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’d make you co-czarinas with that platform!

However I have to say that the Cardinals are the greatest. Can’t say that too loudly where I live. Everyone’s sore about Goldy, but he’s rocking it with home runs in STL. #2 in the NL for HR stats right now.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 04-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
However I have to say that the Cardinals are the greatest. Can’t say that too loudly where I live. Everyone’s sore about Goldy, but he’s rocking it with home runs in STL. #2 in the NL for HR stats right now.
Just ... no. I do not forget or forgive. They called us pond scum.

But back to themes: my working idea is As You Wish: Anything Goes. This would be a totally open category, a grab bag of favorite books, books you want to read, eligible runners-up--whatever catches your fancy that you want to inflict on the rest of us.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Baseball in the 80s - those were the days and the Cards-Mets rivalry was intense! Now it’s all about the Cubs. Some of my fondest memories are going to games in the old Busch Stadium in that time period.

I have to research my themes this weekend.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #69
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Just ... no. I do not forget or forgive. They called us pond scum.

But back to themes: my working idea is As You Wish: Anything Goes. This would be a totally open category, a grab bag of favorite books, books you want to read, eligible runners-up--whatever catches your fancy that you want to inflict on the rest of us.
Sounds like fun.

I have to say that I envy all who are able to see the games live. Speaking of games, the Masters is fantastic right now! A very strong international field, and for the Ausies, two golfers very much in contention.

Last edited by Victoria; 04-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #70
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As for baseball, I quite like the DH rule, but interleague play is called the World Series. And the Yankees? Evil. (But then so are the Red Socks.)

Just finished watching the Masters. Should be an interesting final day. But watching it on TV it was hard to believe just how white the spectators were.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #71
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As for baseball, I quite like the DH rule, but interleague play is called the World Series. And the Yankees? Evil. (But then so are the Red Socks.)

Just finished watching the Masters. Should be an interesting final day. But watching it on TV it was hard to believe just how white the spectators were.

Charlie.
I didn’t notice that until you mentioned it. But I looked for it through the rest of the tournament. You’re right - very white! (though misguided about the Red Sox)

Getting back to themes, how do we know if people are actually interested in what we’ve proposed? There’s no point having a theme if doesn’t appeal to the members or doesn’t spark book ideas. Do we vote at the end of the discussion?

Last edited by Victoria; 04-20-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #72
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
No, each of the regulars gets to nominate one theme and then we just try to work out the appropriate order, eg to match seasons or holidays or whatever. Sometimes just along the lines of “This one would follow on nicely from that one.”

You can nominate a theme, but then have a brainwave and put in a new theme, which replaces the first one. We try to make them open to different interpretations, so there’s a lot of leeway in where we can take a theme - as you have no doubt already observed! That’s all part of the fun.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #73
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I love the Tasty Morsel idea! I think that something related to food would be really interesting and have a lot of variety in nomination options.

I also second Dazrin’s suggestion that the calendar should be considered when placing the theme panel.
the food theme has been used often in actual books. There are many food related mysteries out there for example.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #74
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
No, each of the regulars gets to nominate one theme and then we just try to work out the appropriate order, eg to match seasons or holidays or whatever. Sometimes just along the lines of “This one would follow on nicely from that one.”

You can nominate a theme, but then have a brainwave and put in a new theme, which replaces the first one. We try to make them open to different interpretations, so there’s a lot of leeway in where we can take a theme - as you have no doubt already observed! That’s all part of the fun.
Ok, great - thanks! I’m still thinking mine over. I have noticed a certain creative license in the club.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 PM   #75
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Ok, great - thanks! I’m still thinking mine over. I have noticed a certain creative license in the club.
Surely not! We are very law-abiding.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote