Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 08:47 PM   #1
Gharpalus
Gharpalus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Oasis, Paperwhite
Exclamation Books slipping out of collections into uncollected or hyperspace.

I apologize for the length of this post. However, I think people should know about problems with collections and know about the possibility that even on the Amazon cloud books may slip out of collections into hyperspace.

I own the following Kindle units which all are having problems with books slipping out of collections and going into the uncollected category: Kindle Paperwhite; Kindle Paperwhite Signature: 3 Oasis units; 2 Kindle scribe units. According to Amazon cloud I have 5470 books that were purchased from Amazon from 2011 until now. I accumulated so many books and Amazon devices because I am 82 years old and have disabilities and am mostly homebound. Reading is a big part of my life and I worry that books may vanish.

Some time ago I noticed that my oasis units after being charged died within a day or two and decided that possibly their batteries were going bad. I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite and managed to get a reasonable part of my library downloaded onto it but had some problems with books slipping out of the collections in which they belonged and going into the uncollected category. Finally, I got the number of books in the uncollected category down to a low number and was able to use the device. After a few weeks all of the books that were in uncollected vanished from uncollected and apparently went back into their proper collections.

A few days ago I purchased a Kindle Paperwhite signature and began downloading books collection by collection. Books began rapidly slipping out of collections and going into the uncollected category. I would manually move them back into the proper collections and then see them only slip away into uncollected again.

Eventually I began using my Windows 10 computer and looking at books and collections through Kindle content–on the cloud. Books that had slipped into the uncollected category on my Kindle Paperwhite signature were according to Kindle content all in their proper collections on the Amazon cloud servers

I turned on all of my Kindle devices listed above and found that they all had books in the uncollected category–that is books that had slipped from their collections into uncollected even though the Amazon servers in the cloud insisted that the books are in their proper collections. Books by a few authors always seemed to leak out of collections while most books that leaked differed from unit to unit. (For some reason, books by Kate Elliott were just about the most common ones that slipped out of collections–even though they were purchased individually at different times.) Repeated synchronizations of the Kindle devices did not fix the problem nor did repeated reboots. It’s as though my collections are porous and things just leak away from them.

I battled through the Amazon system to reach a person in the US Kindle technical support section but after thoroughly describing the problems and getting her to understand that they were occurring on seven different devices, the Amazon phone line went dead. Repeated the process and got another person from the US technical support for Amazon Kindle and at her request took photographs of the uncollected books on each of the seven devices and emailed them to her. Amazon phone line again disconnected. I got another person at Amazon finally but was told I could not get back to the previous people I have spoken to–in other words I was back to square one.

Asked for a supervisor. The supervisor apparently saw my email with the photos of uncollected items on seven Kindles and said that I should try re-creating new collections because possibly the problem was that my collections were old. This was a mind-boggling suggestion. If books can slip out of collections on Amazon devices because the collections were made a few years ago, can purchases possibly disappear from the cloud so the books need to be repurchased? Some of my book purchases are years old.

I spent an entire day battling with this issue. What makes it even worse is that I have limited use of my hands because I am disabled and am covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act. Now I have to go through the lengthy process of re-creating collections. For just one of my collections, I went to 45 different screens and selected everything on each and moved books into a new collection. This was painful.

I finally did what I should’ve done earlier today rather than waste time with Amazon. I googled the problem and found that other people have had books that slip out of collections and that sometimes people find that certain Amazon books keep slipping while others stick in their proper collections. How do I keep books from "falling out" of Kindle collections. (amazonforum.com) I have seen some other posts about this problem. I posted in the Kindle part of Reddit, and several people reported problems with books slipping out of collections

If it is a known issue that collections only last for a certain length of time, Amazon should tell people so that they can re-create collections before things start to go wrong. Amazon should provide a simple way to move all books within a collection over to a new collection with just a few mouse clicks in Kindle content.

I went through all 45 screens on the Kindle cloud server for authors with the last name starting with D-K and copied all to a new collection. The old collection had 1106 books according to Amazon cloud server, but the new collection has only 1040 books according to cloud. Quite a significant loss.

Once I finished creating the new collection, I synchronized my Kindle Paperwhite Signature with the cloud and saw many of the uncollected books leave uncollected and go into the new collection and boost the total to slightly below 1000 in the new collection on the Kindle unit. Repeated synchronizations of the Paperwhite did not boost the number in the new collection on the Paperwhite. A series of reboots each time resulted in several D-K books going into uncollected. After each reboot I manually put such books into the new collection and currently have a grand total of 1009 books in the new collection on the Kindle Paperwhite. Somewhat distressing is that I checked some of the D-K books that went into uncollected and found that the Amazon cloud stated that the books already were in the new D-K collection. I tried several synchronizations and a reboot of one of my Kindle scribe units and ended up with only 989 books in the new D-K collection. Uncollected had 151 books, with enough of them being from D-K to suggest that manually putting them into the new collection in which they already are on the cloud might result in approximately 1000 books in the new collection. Synchronizations apparently can’t get the number of books in the new collection to be much above 1000 on Kindle units even though the cloud says that the new collection has 1040 of the 1106 books that are in the old collection.

In summary,
1. Old collections may suddenly start to leak like crazy.
2. New collections may also possibly leak–only way I could really know for sure is if I deleted the old collection. However, I can’t delete it because it has books that the cloud did not copy over into the new collection.
3. Synchronizations aren’t very effective for straightening up collection problems.
4. I greatly wish I had kept a database or spreadsheet and entered every purchase into it because I no longer trust the Amazon cloud and certainly don’t trust synchronization to always fix things.
5. Above all, if at all possible, download onto your Amazon devices every book and I mean every that you buy from Amazon. My Kindle scribe units fortunately have enough horsepower so that I can download all purchased books onto it–well at least all purchased books that the cloud makes available.
6. Amazon should go back to the practice of listing purchased books in its invoices rather than requiring that the user search the Amazon cloud to find out what books were purchased. Searching the cloud may not find books that slipped into hyperspace. Amazon manages to list on invoices each and every non-book item that people purchase, why not revert to listing purchased books on the invoice?
7. I suspect that part of my problems is that the entire Kindle ecosystem is designed to handle much fewer than libraries of 5000 purchased books. If this is correct, Amazon should give some indication of the number of books that can be handled instead of talking about how one can have thousands of books on their units. (Amazon webpage for Paperwhite Signature states “More books in more places – Store thousands of titles, then take them all with you.”
Gharpalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:18 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Just a note - if you want to back up your Kindle books outside the Amazon ecosystem, downloading them all to a Kindle is not the way to do it. Kindle books are keyed to only work on the device they were downloaded to and they don't work on any other device, so you can never copy them anywhere else.

For making a proper personal backup one needs to download the books to a computer and remove the DRM.

It's possible I did not understand you well enough and there is another reason you downloaded all the books to your Scribes, not backup. If so, I stand corrected.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2024, 09:32 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I gave up on using Kindle collections a long time ago due to their unreliability. I own multiple Kindle devices and also read on my phone and tablet. I found that comparing the count of books in each collection across devices and on the web site showed that there were always discrepancies.

These days I categorize my e-book library using calibre and avoid using any of the Kindle book organizing features.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:49 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I gave up on using Kindle collections a long time ago due to their unreliability.
Yes, I did the same when I still used Kindles. There were just too many bugs. As I had all my books organized in Calibre, I didn't need Kindle collections all that much. I do use collections on my Kobos, but only because they're created and maintained automatically via Calibre, without any manual work on my part. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
books slipping, collections