Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #61
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Running the script on Mac doesn't work anymore (Mac OS 10.15.1). Permission denied. Does anybody know, how to solve this?
It's the same issue as from the 4.18 patches which released after OS X.15

You have to open system preferences - Privacy and Security and hit open anyway.

Specifically

1) try to run .sh file
2) get error saying it can't be run dismiss this
3) open system prefs - privacy security - open anyway or allow, or something along these lines it'll be at the bottom of the window and you'll need to unlock it w/ your login
4) re-run the .sh file you'll get an error again but this time with an option to open/run anyway/etc within the error

Once you've done this once FOR THIS PATCH you will be able to re-run the .sh file again without any issues. But you will need to repeat this process for the next firmware patches i.e. 4.20's patches would need this to be done again.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Um, I did mention that ("It's AutoUsbGadget under DeveloperSettings. You can either enable it in the config file...") .
Sorry, apparently my reading comprehension is low today. Maybe I should have had that second cup of coffee.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Thanks, I've tried both ePubs and kePubs, and I prefer kePub. I read a lot of nonfiction with footnotes and endnotes, and I much prefer popups rather than being redirected to a different page. Also, KePubs allow me to double-tap images so that they expand to full size for better viewing (why why WHY do publishers insist on resizing images to miniscule proportions?). The improved typesetting in ePubs isn't enough to counter these two benefits. Also, I have hyphenation turned off completely because in the early days of scanned PDFs converted to ePub, I encountered a lot of random hard-coded hyphens left over from the OCR process, so I turned off hyphenation to make it easier to catch these. But thanks for the suggestions.
if you no longer read poorly converted PDF (most PDF converted is very poor), then turn on hyphenation. It really does help with the gaps. Personally, I do not like gaps.

I can see where you're coming from on ePub vs. KePub. But go for ePub is you are reading regular fiction or books without footnotes or crappy graphics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, apparently my reading comprehension is low today. Maybe I should have had that second cup of coffee.
Better to have that first can of Coke.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #65
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, to the best of my knowledge, that should do the trick.

It can be <=7 chars, but it needs to be enough so that the device can't get confused if you have fontnames with similar prefixes.
Yep, worked like a charm, thanks! I would think that it would be useful to have the template in the patch file just so that people don't have to copy/paste one of the other blocks, even if the patch itself would be a no-op (replacing Courier with Courier).

Oh, and I'm sure you know this already but just wanted to confirm that your Custom GUI system fonts beta1 patch is working its magic in 4.19 without a hitch
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 PM   #66
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Does the sideloaded font display in the font list? And does it work if you select it? If not, then the firmware isn't seeing it properly, and won't be able to use it as the monospace font.
I'm hitting the same thing. Updated with new 4.19.14123 firmware, installed a few patches with kobopatch. I've installed the Courier Prime fonts in the /Fonts directory on my Kobo and restarted. They are the only fonts with "Courier" in their name, and the firmware is seeing them in that I can switch the whole book to Courier Prime.

I've got a book that has this css:

Code:
p.extra_hanging_indent {
  font-size: 0.9em;
  margin-top: 0;
  text-indent: -1em;
  padding-left: 2em;
  font-family: "Courier New", monospace;
}
but text with that CSS selector is showing up with the default book font. The rest of that CSS chunk is working. That text does show as a monospace font with Sigil and the Calibre book viewer.

This is on a Kobo Aura 2 (1st edition) if that matters.

Feeling like I'm missing something very basic here. Any suggestions?

(Note: Should I have posted here where there's a monospace discussion going on, or on the main Firmware 4.19.14123 release thread? Happy to move this question there.)
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #67
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you no longer read poorly converted PDF (most PDF converted is very poor), then turn on hyphenation. It really does help with the gaps. Personally, I do not like gaps.

I can see where you're coming from on ePub vs. KePub. But go for ePub is you are reading regular fiction or books without footnotes or crappy graphics.
Yes, I should turn hyphenation back on, I know. I don't like gaps either. But my brain still does a stutter-step when I see a hyphen that splits a word. If I continue reading, instead of paying attention to the text, I start wondering, "Is that hyphen in the text?" and the next thing I know, I stop reading to double-check if it's a soft or hard hyphen. One day I will get over it. Just...not quite yet, lol.

Last edited by icallaci; 12-12-2019 at 11:39 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #68
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I'm hitting the same thing. Updated with new 4.19.14123 firmware, installed a few patches with kobopatch. I've installed the Courier Prime fonts in the /Fonts directory on my Kobo and restarted. They are the only fonts with "Courier" in their name, and the firmware is seeing them in that I can switch the whole book to Courier Prime.
Just a thought: is the directory named /Fonts (with an uppercase F) or /fonts (with a lowercase f)? I believe it's supposed to be /fonts. I don't know if that could be the problem, but it's worth checking. Good luck.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:57 PM   #69
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Just a thought: is the directory named /Fonts (with an uppercase F) or /fonts (with a lowercase f)? I believe it's supposed to be /fonts. I don't know if that could be the problem, but it's worth checking. Good luck.
The directory was "F" /Fonts. I've tried renaming to something else and then "f" /fonts, power cycled, and still behaves the same . Thanks for the suggestion though.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:25 AM   #70
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is exactly what I did when I tested this. But, it doesn't show up in the font list when you do that.

And I've put a longer response with my test sample in the 4.19.14123 thread as this isn't a patch problem.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 AM   #71
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, you can remove it, but then you won't be able to connect to the computer. So don't do it.
I think there is a misunderstanding. I don't have the pop-up (I think that it's a setting, as David has said, but I cannot check it now either) and my Kobo connects to the computer without problem.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding. I don't have the pop-up (I think that it's a setting, as David has said, but I cannot check it now either) and my Kobo connects to the computer without problem.
No idea what Jon is on about. The option just means the device connects automatically without prompting. The disconnect is exactly the same as normal - use the PC to eject it. I use it on the devices I do most of my calibre related testing with. Of course, on the others, I always forget to tap the connect button when I plug them in.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #73
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
The option just means the device connects automatically without prompting. The disconnect is exactly the same as normal - use the PC to eject it. I use it on the devices I do most of my calibre related testing with. Of course, on the others, I always forget to tap the connect button when I plug them in.
would this work on the Clara and if so would you please tell me how to enable the setting?
thank you.

eta: I saw something in one of the yamls but it gave a huge caution so I didn't enable it.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-13-2019 at 05:52 AM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:14 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
would this work on the Clara and if so would you please tell me how to enable the setting?
thank you.

eta: I saw something in one of the yamls but it gave a huge caution so I didn't enable it.
It works in all the recent firmware on all the devices. I posted the what needs to be added to the config file earlier in the thread.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #75
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching