Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
LarrxX
LarrxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2019 (KT4)
Question [HELP]Transferring collections from K5 to KT4

I have an old Kindle Touch (K5) with all my books sorted in neat collections. I only use calibre and never synchronised it with my Amazon account.

I am looking for a way to transfer the collections to my new Kindle (KT4) and got lost in all the CM and LibrarySync threads in this forum. It this is even possible, any instructions on what to use with which device would be greatly appreciated.

Both devices are jailbroken.

Thank you!
LarrxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrxX View Post
I have an old Kindle Touch (K5) with all my books sorted in neat collections. I only use calibre and never synchronised it with my Amazon account.

I am looking for a way to transfer the collections to my new Kindle (KT4) and got lost in all the CM and LibrarySync threads in this forum. It this is even possible, any instructions on what to use with which device would be greatly appreciated.

Both devices are jailbroken.

Thank you!
Are you using nested collections on the old K5?
Your KT4 firmware will not support nested collections.
Otherwise:
Use Calibre and its associated LibrarySync Calibre add-in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If everything is Calibre-generated, that'll work without much effort, yeah.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
LarrxX

I wasn't sure LibrarySync would work with KT4. Thanks for the tip, I'll dive right into that!

(and no I don't use nested collections, didn't know you could!)

Thanks again
Old 09-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Try Kindle Kranf Collections Manager

You can export collections from Calibre to folders and then use Kranf to make collections for Kindle.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You don't need LS on the K4 (and, yeah, it won't work there anyway). The plugin will handle everything on its own.

(The K4 happens to be the last device where it was allowed to work standalone).

EDIT: Except you're talking about a KT4, not a K4. Ooops. .

It's unclear to me how you're currently setting up your K5 collections, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107; NiLuJe View Post
Try Kindle Kranf Collections Manager

You can export collections from Calibre to folders and then use Kranf to make collections for Kindle.
According to the link you gave, Kranf does not support the KT4 nor the K5.
(Yeah! I read the entire post this time. Yeah me!)

Last edited by knc1; 09-28-2019 at 02:22 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Oh, crap. I definitely read that as K4. Both times. .

@LarrxX: So, yeah, you *will* need LS . Still need to know more about your K5 setup, though.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:30 AM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Oh, wow, my mistake, sorry
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
LarrxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@LarrxX: So, yeah, you *will* need LS . Still need to know more about your K5 setup, though.
It's a B011 Kindle Touch WiFi (Kindle 5) K5, KT, K5W to be more accurate. Anything else you need to know just ask.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I was specifically thinking about *how* your current collections were created/maintained.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
LarrxX

They were created manually, on the Kindle.

And now that I have LS set up, I'm at a loss what to do to import them into Calibre.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, so, not a Calibre workflow *at all*, that's what I was afraid of .

Then you'll have to *export* them from the K5, via LS, then import that export into Calibre, via the plugin.

Swap to the new device. Export the collections via the plug-in. Then import them via LS.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
LarrxX

In order to export the kindle collections on my K5 into LS, then into calibre, then back into the KT4 and back again into LS, what menu entries should I use? I'm a little confused by what each one does (even after reading the Github doc).

The menu entries I have are:
  • Rebuild collections (librarian)
  • Update collections (librarian)
  • Rebuild collections (from folders)
  • Rebuild collections (calibre plugin)
  • Update collections (calibre plugin)
  • Export current collections
  • Download from librarian
  • Delete all collections

Which entry should I use at which step?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

First step is "Export ..." for an export (i.e., on the K5), Final step is "Rebuild from calibre plugin" for an import (i.e. on the KT4).

Tags
collections