Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
naqahdah
naqahdah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle covers from experimental browser

Hello!

I've been searching around and I found a section in the FAQ about covers, but it didn't seem to cover the same thing:

I normally transfer covers to my Paperwhite 2 via cable. I download metadata, select a cover, then convert to azw3 and check the 'use cover from file' box. This works perfectly, no complaints here.

My main question is regarding downloading the books via the experimental browser. The same books won't keep the cover when transferred this way. I figured I'd see if I'm doing something wrong that is stopping this from working, or if it is just some quirk of the Kindle?

This isn't a big deal, and I'm totally fine just continuing to do it by cable, but if it can be made to work, that would just be a neat bonus.
naqahdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has no reliable way to extract stuff done from the Kindle (and most other devices)

I recommend the Search the Internet Plugin (the covers section ) as an alternate to the 'Get Covers' section of the Metadata Editor (the ctrl-D covers only gives you 1)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The problem is that the Kindle expects cover thumbnails (for Cover View) to be downloaded from Amazon's servers, based on the book's ASIN identifier (mobipocket's exth 113 metadata header).

For PDOCs the Kindle will extract a cover directly from the book itself, but only for PDOCs.

calibre will circumvent this issue by sideloading a cover thumbnail for books with a cdetype of EBOK, when using Send-to-Device. This copies the generated thumbnail image to where the Kindle expects it, inside [userstore]/system/thumbnails/
Needless to say, calibre cannot do that from the experimental browser. No, there is no workaround, you must use the USB connection.

(Alternatively, you could sideload all your books as PDOCs, see the relevant MOBI Output option in calibre's conversion preferences. Then you get the ugly "Personal" banner and the book is sorted under Personal Documents.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #4
naqahdah
naqahdah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The problem is that the Kindle expects cover thumbnails (for Cover View) to be downloaded from Amazon's servers, based on the book's ASIN identifier (mobipocket's exth 113 metadata header).

For PDOCs the Kindle will extract a cover directly from the book itself, but only for PDOCs.

calibre will circumvent this issue by sideloading a cover thumbnail for books with a cdetype of EBOK, when using Send-to-Device. This copies the generated thumbnail image to where the Kindle expects it, inside [userstore]/system/thumbnails/
Needless to say, calibre cannot do that from the experimental browser. No, there is no workaround, you must use the USB connection.

(Alternatively, you could sideload all your books as PDOCs, see the relevant MOBI Output option in calibre's conversion preferences. Then you get the ugly "Personal" banner and the book is sorted under Personal Documents.)
Ahh okay, that makes sense. I've tried the PDOC thing and yeah, Amazon and that stupid "personal" banner, as though you need a constant reminder or something.

I appreciate the answers! Like I said, I'm fine with USB, so I'll just keep on going that route... Though I might send a note to Amazon to tell them to stop being annoying. Thanks!
naqahdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by naqahdah View Post
Ahh okay, that makes sense. I've tried the PDOC thing and yeah, Amazon and that stupid "personal" banner, as though you need a constant reminder or something.

I appreciate the answers! Like I said, I'm fine with USB, so I'll just keep on going that route... Though I might send a note to Amazon to tell them to stop being annoying. Thanks!
Actually, if you have the latest firmware for your PW2, there is no more banner.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert