Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I used this method, but unfortunately got the same results as geekmaster.
It looks like the PW2 doesn't see my usb audio card.
OK, thanks for trying it out.

The system action to auto-magically reconfig itself when a new device is hot-plugged does not lend itself to simple monitoring.
I.E: Not anything I could easily write a button for.

So we wait until someone can do some hands-on testing and then write it up here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
OK, thanks for trying it out.

The system action to auto-magically reconfig itself when a new device is hot-plugged does not lend itself to simple monitoring.
I.E: Not anything I could easily write a button for.

So we wait until someone can do some hands-on testing and then write it up here.
The problem is that the voice needs 512MB ram and the PW2 only has 256MB ram. So it won't work on a PW2.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that the voice needs 512MB ram and the PW2 only has 256MB ram. So it won't work on a PW2.
Unless you add a swapfile...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #49
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unless you add a swapfile and/or use a smaller (custom) voice...
Old 05-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #50
Mr.Husky
Mr.Husky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Anyone tried to add custom language files?
Mr.Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please provide your references, not just a pronouncement.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Please provide your references, not just a pronouncement.
I assume he was referring to this...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=123
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

No News Is ....
Well, still it is information.

Plug in Amazon adapter (Device: PW-3, fw-5.6.1.1) -
Kernel does not recognize the addition of a device (I.E: nothing put into kernel's message buffer - zip, zero, nada, ....)

Meanwhile -
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /lib/udev/bin/notifyheadset

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$ACTION" = "add" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 1
elif [ "$ACTION" = "remove" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 0
fi

exit 0
It looks like the code to be called when the device is hotplugged is present.

Hmm....
Code:
[root@kindle root]# ACTION=add sh -x /lib/udev/bin/notifyheadset 
+ [ add = add ]
+ /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 1
+ exit 0
[root@kindle root]# dmesg
[root@kindle root]#
The doorbell is present but evidently nobody is home with this firmware version.

Since I have no burning need to have my PW-3 talk to me (other than to use it as an alarm clock, sometime in the future) -
I do not intend to update my firmware in the PW-3 just for this dongle.

But those which do not have an Amazon dongle, might plug in the one that they do have and try the example 'add' command above, just to see what dmesg has to say.

Last edited by knc1; 05-17-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #54
geekmaster

Quote:
No News Is ....
Well, still it is information.

Plug in Amazon adapter (Device: PW-3, fw-5.6.1.1) -
Kernel does not recognize the addition of a device (I.E: nothing put into kernel's message buffer - zip, zero, nada, ....)

Meanwhile -
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /lib/udev/bin/notifyheadset

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$ACTION" = "add" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 1
elif [ "$ACTION" = "remove" ] ; then
        /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 0
fi

exit 0
It looks like the code to be called when the device is hotplugged is present.

Hmm....
Code:
[root@kindle root]# ACTION=add sh -x /lib/udev/bin/notifyheadset 
+ [ add = add ]
+ /usr/bin/lipc-send-event -r 3 com.lab126.hal audioHS -i 1
+ exit 0
[root@kindle root]# dmesg
[root@kindle root]#
The doorbell is present but evidently nobody is home with this firmware version.

Since I have no burning need to have my PW-3 talk to me (other than to use it as an alarm clock, sometime in the future) -
I do not intend to update my firmware in the PW-3 just for this dongle.

But those which do not have an Amazon dongle, might plug in the one that they do have and try the example 'add' command above, just to see what dmesg has to say.
I was about to try this, until I realized I cannot use usbnet ssh and usb audio at the same time. My PW3 touchscreen has been getting much less relaible, almost unusable, and tapping the power button now rarely fixes it. I mostly use it as a test devive under ssh.

To do this test, I would have to switch to ssh over wifi so I can do sound over usb. Perhaps a usb hub could allow both, but that complicates things when we are not sure it will even work in the simplest case.

ssh over wifi, later... then usb sound test. Or... background the command with a sleep, then switch usb devices devices?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-14-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Don't go to any bother - -
The PW-3 has been out a long time before the SW jailbreak -
I am sure there are people here with a serial port connection to their PW-3.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #56
geekmaster

Quote:
I am sure there are people here with a serial port connection to their PW-3.
I ran a looping script in the background:
/mnt/us/notifyheadset &
PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh
LOG="/mnt/us/documents/$0.txt"
echo Logging to $LOG ...
while 
true; do

sleep 1
  date 
>> $LOG 2>&1
  ACTION
=add
  sh 
-/lib/udev/bin/notifyheadset >> $LOG 2>&1
done 
I cleared dmesg "dmesg -C". I unplugged USBnet, and plugged in and removed USB dongle from USB OTG adapter, and USB OTG adapter from PW3, and plugged them in, with PW3 in and out of screensaver mode, with multiple variations and repetition. Then I restored USBnet. Then I killed the background script, and did "dmesg > /mnt/us/documents/dmesg.txt.. I usually log to .txt files in /mnt/us/documents so I can view them on the device. The log output is just a repetition of what you showed (no extra data). Here is dmesg output:
Code:
[15803.097245] KERNEL: I pmic:charger chgina::charger disconnected
[15803.103000] fsl_gadget_disconnect_event: udc enter low power mode
[15818.640850] KERNEL: I pmic:onkey::wario button online event
[15821.389932] KERNEL: I pmic:onkey::wario button online event
[15825.766586] KERNEL: I pmic:onkey::wario button online event
[15830.645083] KERNEL: I pmic:onkey::wario button online event
[15848.497307] KERNEL: I pmic:charger chgina::charger connected
[15848.518239] otg udc vbus rising wakeup
[15848.518969] try_wake_up_udc: udc out low power mode
[15849.041636] g_ether gadget: high speed config #2: RNDIS

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-17-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #57
geekmaster

Quote:
I am sure there are people here with a serial port connection to their PW-3
I still can't find any of my multiple usb serial adapters, so serial is not yet an option. That is a problem with organizing and put like things together -- they all get lost together. With distributed storage, a search finds at least one of them much more quickly...

However, I did run the test, and as reported above, no response. Also, my USB dongle has a power and/or access LED which did not turn on. It blinks and flickers "randomly" while initializing after plugin on a PC. Nothing on the PW3. Perhaps a kernel module gadget needs loading? Or perhaps the USBnet RNDIS kernel module is in the way, and the script does not unload it? Not sure yet...

My previous testing was on a PW2. Perhaps I could try this script on that, without RNDIS loaded (a KUAL extension, perhaps)... For that matter, I have KUAL on this PW3, and unlike yesterday, the touchscreen seem somewhat stable tonight.

Though in reality, what we really need, at least for now, is somebody with a REAL amazon USB sound adapter to try this command on a PW3...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-17-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #58
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
@geekmaster, I have have the same question for you as I did for Conan46 in this post.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #59
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
@geekmaster, I have have the same question for you as I did for Conan46 in this post.
Ahh... Thanks! I only did that on my PW2!

I will try again after the update, tomorrow. Thanks for the tip...
Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #60
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Though in reality, what we really need, at least for now, is somebody with a REAL amazon USB sound adapter to try this command on a PW3...
or somebody with a generic USB dongle and a PW3 with the latest firmware...

i have the second one, and i ordered the dongle from china but it takes too long to arrive

Last edited by encol; 05-18-2016 at 05:04 AM.
encol is offline   Reply With Quote