Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Managing Collections with Calibre and Kindle paperwhite 4

Hello:

I'm considering to buy a Kindle paperwhite 4 (Nov 2018) with 32Gb Digital Storage Capacity, and I have some questions regarding managing Collection data with Calibre.

I understand that Calibre can sync to Kindle the title, author and series metadata directly from Calibre library.

However, I believe that there is no direct interface to sync Calibre's collection data with Kindle/Amazon Collections.

However, as a an alterantive solution: Is it possible to sync Calibre's tags to the Kindle and then search on the Kindle device using tags?

It would be very easy to add Calibre collection data to the ebooks tags and, specially so for large libraries, it would simplify the metadata sync process.

Or is there already another alternative method for Calibre collection sync with Kindle paperwhite 4?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Note, the Kindle does not support series info from Calibre. What Calibre and Kindle users tend to do is insert the series into the title using Calibre metadata plugboards. Same for tags.

Jailbreaking (there's one available for PW4 with fw5.10.0.1/5.10.0.2, just prevent it from auto updating) would allow you to manage collections with Calibre via the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin + KUAL LibrarianSync add-on.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
'tis grieving news to me.

I'll be asking in the Calibre forum to seek different answers.

Thanks for your promt reply!

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
In general, bookreaders have very poor organizing and searching functions IMHO. I personally do not maintain a large number of books on my Kindle because of this. Instead, I maintain a large number of books on my computer, using Calibre, and do all my organizing, searching, planning, etc. there. In the end, I download only a small number of books to the Kindle. About two dozen are resident on my Kindle at any one time. That's a small enough number that you really don't need any organization. You can find what you want by just scrolling up and down the list of books.

When I finish a book, I usually remove it from the Kindle, and then add a new one in its place. I only read one book at a time, and having about two dozen to choose from at the last minute is good enough for me. I don't need to have my entire book collection available on the Kindle all the time. I can pre-choose the 24 or so books from Calibre, put them on my Kindle, then make my final choice for my next read from those 24 at the last minute. As my mood changes over time, sometimes I remove a batch of books I previously put on the Kindle because I am no longer very enthused about reading them. Then I replace them with a new batch of books I am more enthused about. I do this rarely, but sometimes it happens.

I find this way of doing things much better (for me) than fighting through and being frustrated with the pitiful organization options available on a book reader. Things like "Kindle Collections" are (maybe) better than nothing ... but not by much. So I just use Calibre on my computer as a far superior organization method.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
In general, bookreaders have very poor organizing and searching functions IMHO. I personally do not maintain a large number of books on my Kindle because of this. Instead, I maintain a large number of books on my computer, using Calibre, and do all my organizing, searching, planning, etc. there. In the end, I download only a small number of books to the Kindle. About two dozen are resident on my Kindle at any one time. That's a small enough number that you really don't need any organization. You can find what you want by just scrolling up and down the list of books.

When I finish a book, I usually remove it from the Kindle, and then add a new one in its place. I only read one book at a time, and having about two dozen to choose from at the last minute is good enough for me. I don't need to have my entire book collection available on the Kindle all the time. I can pre-choose the 24 or so books from Calibre, put them on my Kindle, then make my final choice for my next read from those 24 at the last minute. As my mood changes over time, sometimes I remove a batch of books I previously put on the Kindle because I am no longer very enthused about reading them. Then I replace them with a new batch of books I am more enthused about. I do this rarely, but sometimes it happens.

I find this way of doing things much better (for me) than fighting through and being frustrated with the pitiful organization options available on a book reader. Things like "Kindle Collections" are (maybe) better than nothing ... but not by much. So I just use Calibre on my computer as a far superior organization method.

Oooooooh this is a great idea! Never thought of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, kindle paperwhite, tags