Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #16
transman
transman began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic Dossier
As far as I know the local vat rate for the exporter will have to be paid. If the companys exports into anther country exceeds a certain value then the other countrys vat rate will have to be paid if higher. You will also have to take duty into account for goods going to america. If you are buying anything from america exceeding a certain value a duty rate will be applied so similiar will probably apply in reverse. These are all dependent on the countries local tax laws.

Last edited by transman; 04-04-2006 at 11:04 AM.
transman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #17
ribrdb
iLiad Freak
ribrdb began at the beginning.

Device: Newton 2000, 2100
If I remember correctly, when I was in Europe we had to pay VAT, but when we came back to the US we could file for a VAT refund on everything we brought back with us. Which makes me suspect that VAT wouldn't be required for people in the US.
ribrdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
please check the irex homepage...is it possible that they put the old specsheet pdf back???
what's going on???
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
please check the irex homepage...is it possible that they put the old specsheet pdf back???
what's going on???
You are right, they did. I think the last specsheet was updated in Feb 2006; the one currently online goes back in September 2005.

Perhaps they had to restore an outdated server backup?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #20
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
You are right, they did. I think the last specsheet was updated in Feb 2006; the one currently online goes back in September 2005.

Perhaps they had to restore an outdated server backup?
You are mistaken, Alexander

Here the dates of all three pdf specs:

1) december 2005 pdf document properties (20051215WE product sheet ER 0100) - old one

2) march 2006 pdf document properties (March2006WE product sheet ER 0100 Released) - was 2 days ago

3) september 2005, pdf document properties (Iliad Product sheet ER 0100, created 19.01.2006) but the date at the right side of the document is 2006 )))) - now at Irex site.

I have all three of them, they are different even by file size ))
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

the ways of iRex are mysterious...^^
Old 04-05-2006, 03:15 AM   #22
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Finally an answer to the battery-question:

"Dear Mr. Rohde,

The iLiad only uses power when a page is updated, the 10000 page turns is based on the available battery charge divided by the amount of energy needed for a display update. A more realistic model is that users download (wireless/wired) ones a day available content (like a newspaper) and read for 3 hours per day on the device in which case the battery needs to be recharged every week. If more frequent connections are made or the device is used interactively (e.g. writing on the device) the battery life is of course reduced"

That is good enough for me...now if they manage to finalize their pricing and make it a bit moe affordable...then I'll get one right away...
Old 04-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #23
drachasor
Connoisseur
drachasor began at the beginning.

Well, Mr. Rohde, here's hoping for a sub $700(US) price. I'll be crossing my fingers with you.
drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #24
marc59
marc59 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5
It is an interesting question, does a company charge VAT based on its location, rather than on the buyer's location?
I'm a small business owner in the EU with a lot of customers from outside the EU (mainly American).

As an EU based company I do not have to charge VAT to customers outside the EU. It is expected that non-EU customers pay VAT in their own country, should this have a VAT of course.

Hope this helps!

Marc.
marc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #25
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc59
As an EU based company I do not have to charge VAT to customers outside the EU. It is expected that non-EU customers pay VAT in their own country, should this have a VAT of course.
This is correct. I was wrong earlier. For exporting products outside the EU, a EU-based company does NOT have to charge VAT. Actually, they'd have to use the "0% tariff".

So yes, the 549 euro price would be correct for US customers. However, since the dollar is so weak (or, conversely, the euro is so expensive) you still end up with a price of $675 against the current exchange rate.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #26
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

Also note that if the company marks the item as a gift, you probably do not have to pay duty on it as long as it is under some ceiling. I do not know whether this would apply to the Irex since I bought only books/dvd's from Europe/Asia and they are definitely cheaper
However I presume there will be a company selling Irex specifically for N. America pretty soon after Irex will get released, like the companies that sell the Librie.
The price is still way too high as of now. I own a used but decent Fujitsu tablet from 2002 got last year under 300$ on Ebay with original price in the 2-3k range, and now after several years you can get a new or almost new far better tablet under 1k. I do not need one but the offer is there. So at ~600$ I do not see the Irex getting a foothold outside business (if even there). I like how it looks and the specs, offer it at ~400$ total cost, I would get it.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
This is correct. I was wrong earlier. For exporting products outside the EU, a EU-based company does NOT have to charge VAT. Actually, they'd have to use the "0% tariff".

So yes, the 549 euro price would be correct for US customers. However, since the dollar is so weak (or, conversely, the euro is so expensive) you still end up with a price of $675 against the current exchange rate.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote