Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: About how many books do you read a year?
1-25 9 10.00%
26-50 21 23.33%
51-75 10 11.11%
76-100 14 15.56%
101-125 10 11.11%
126-150 10 11.11%
151-175 3 3.33%
176-200 2 2.22%
201+ 11 12.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
How Many Books do You Read in a Year (now with added granularity)

After the questions regarding granularity in the other poll, I've decided to post one with more options for people who read more than a book a week.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
This sounds like some sort of health cereal: Now with 200% MORE Granularity!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
More polls won't change the results for me. I still read only 10 to 12 books a year. Fully reading a book takes time and there is little time as we have other things to do in life (sleep, work, watch movies, go out etc)
So those who read hundreds and more books every year, well I don't know how they do it honestly (Unless to them reading a book is just skimming through quickly like I would an instructions manual of whatever new electronic device I buy)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I voted 176-200, as that's my average. But I did break 200 in 2011, and it looks like I'll break 200 again this year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
(Unless to them reading a book is just skimming through quickly like I would an instructions manual of whatever new electronic device I buy)
No, I don't skim. I read every word. (Well, except in some magazines I might skip the review sections.)
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
This sounds like some sort of health cereal: Now with 200% MORE Granularity!
Well I did grow up on the west coast, so I may be a bit "granolier than thou" at times.

I do try to tone it down, though.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well then I'm jealous of your ability. I wish I could read as fast as you do while still understanding what I read and not losing anything of the subtleties and enjoying the literary aspects of what I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, I don't skim. I read every word. (Well, except in some magazines I might skip the review sections.)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Or maybe some of us just have different hobbies, or don't do some of the hobbies you do and read instead. And I understand everything I read and I don't really skim anything. Very rarely do I do that and that usually means its not the book for me.
We all budget our time in life the way we want it. We do the things we have to, like work and such and then whats left we all make choices on how we want to spend that. Simple as that.

Why does there always have to be explanation on how its not possible to absorb some magical essence of books just because some read 100's of books a year. There is no right or wrong. Reading 10 books a year is just as right as reading 150 books a year.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So over the two years prior I read 115 (2011) and 107 (2012) books. This year if I keep at the pace so far (and I probably well) it will come out at about 90 books. So to pick a number I could have to say 76-100 or 101-125, I went with the lower. I generally have three to four hours of solid reading every evening, and a couple of more during the day. I also read cover-to-cover several magazines a week as well and follow a number of online news and science web sites. I don't even own a television so that does not consume any of my time and I go out to films maybe three to four times a year. Basically reading is my sedentary entertainment in life. I am probably a slow reader relative to many here in part for reasons discussed in the other recent thread on this subject.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Or maybe some of us just have different hobbies, or don't do some of the hobbies you do and read instead. And I understand everything I read and I don't really skim anything. Very rarely do I do that and that usually means its not the book for me.
We all budget our time in life the way we want it. We do the things we have to, like work and such and then whats left we all make choices on how we want to spend that. Simple as that.

Why does there always have to be explanation on how its not possible to absorb some magical essence of books just because some read 100's of books a year. There is no right or wrong. Reading 10 books a year is just as right as reading 150 books a year.
I have a friend who averages one full size console game a month and maybe a half dozen books a year; I average 4-5 books a month and maybe 2 games a year. Comparable tastes and free time, different priorities.

Neither is right or wrong.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My total is for this year. I've been able to significantly increase my 'reading' by using both audiobooks and ereaders. Next year, I'll probably be able to add another 25 books!

<<So those who read hundreds and more books every year, well I don't know how they do it honestly>>

For some, reading IS their primary hobby. For many people though, sadly, TV watching is their only hobby. Personally, I find most people with whom I'm acquainted, pick up their novel reading once they are empty nesters.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Reading 10 books a year is just as right as reading 150 books a year.
Exactly so
Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I read 26-50. I'm on my 43rd book for the year.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well then I'm jealous of your ability. I wish I could read as fast as you do while still understanding what I read and not losing anything of the subtleties and enjoying the literary aspects of what I read.
It makes a difference what you are reading. War and Peace would take quite a different amount of time than say reading three harlequin romances in an afternoon. Most science fiction or fantasy novels (except something like Lord of the Rings) can easily be read in a couple days if they are good enough to keep your interest.

What kinds of books do you usually read for relaxation? And do you watch TV?
Those who rarely watch TV have a couple more hours a day to read as do those of us who commute by bus rather than driving and even more hours are free for those who have few family responsibilities.

Actually hours per day of reading instead of number of books might give some interesting information. I generally read at a minimum a couple hours per day and on my days off I can read all day.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I voted for the 126-150, but I think that's low. I know that usually I read at least 4 a week counting audiobooks. However, there are times, when I don't make it through 1 book in a week. There are other times when I might make 6 books, but that is very rare. I am disabled and home most of the time, so I have lots of reading time.

Just last week, because of the previous poll, I set up a new column in Calibre. It will now give the date when I finished a book. So when this type of question comes up again in a few months or year, I will be able to give a more precise answer. I'm very curious to see what the answer will be.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote