Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The Voyage of the Minotaur - Free at Smashwords for 1 Month.

For one month only (until 5-22-12) you can pick up a copy of The Voyage of the Minotaur at Smashwords for $0. You must use coupon code ZT66C, and this only fuctions at the Smashwords website, not any other book retailer.

You can also pick up Brechalon, which is the novella length prequel to The Voyage of the Minotaur. This is yours free from Smashwords without a coupon code.

Find it here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11536

Description

In a world of steam power and rifles, where magic has not yet been forgotten, an expedition sets out to establish a colony in a lost world. The Voyage of the Minotaur is a story of adventure and magic, religion and prejudice, steam engines and dinosaurs, angels and lizardmen, machine guns and wizards, sorceresses, bustles and corsets, steam-powered computers, hot air balloons, and dragons.

Review by S. Horrigan (Shaun) on Amazon UK Boards

Set in the country of Greater Brechalon, populated by ladies wearing corsets and dresses with bustles, carrying parasols to keep the sun off their alabaster skin and gentlemen with very stiff upper lips driving steam powered carriages, this is a very steampunk version of an alternate Victorian England.

Steampunk however is only one of the multiple genres that are thrown into the mix. There are wizards and sorceresses, airships and analytical engines, dragons and dinosaurs, lizard men and a good old fashioned series of Jack the Ripper style murders to solve too.

Quite honestly this book should never work. There are too many things thrown into the melting pot, but somehow not only does it work, but it works wonderfully well!

The author clearly loves language and his use of idiomatic Victorian style English is really very good, but there are still a few occasions when you are left in no doubt that the book was written by an American author. I did feel though that the end of the story was rather abrupt and in my opinion and the final few paragraphs should probably have been an epilogue, but these are minor things really.

It is quite a long book being over 8000 Kindle locations and provides several hours of hugely entertaining reading. Presentation on the Kindle is excellent with good formatting and no obvious errors that I could see.

Overall - 5 stars! I will be reading the rest of this series very soon. I will say though that I have a huge weakness for both steampunk style books and for anything set in an alternate Victorian style setting, so you might want to download the sample and try a few pages for yourself before you decide to buy it. Personally, despite my minor petty criticisms, I absolutely loved this book!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Looks fun - I'll have a crack at it, many thanks for the eyes up.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Thank you; sounds very much like something I will like.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Voyage of the Minotaur is still available free at Smashwords. Find it here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/11536.

You must use coupon code ZT66C, and this only fuctions at the Smashwords website, not any other book retailer.

Find excerpts and other information at my new website and blog: wesleyallison.com

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Dit read them both
And after some time the strange long persons names fade.It is not my first choice but dit read them with pleasure.So i will look out for the next book in this serie
Good the where on smashwords as most other are reader lockedin or poisened with drm.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Thank you very much. I look forward to reading them.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

Just six days left to get your copy free-- available through May 22, 2012.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
HistoryWes, I read the intro and the main book with interest. I think you have an interesting plot and some great characters, but they could both do with some editing to clear up some clunky writing and proper proofreading for the typos and spelling mistakes. Not knocking the books, but they don't feel finished to me. Worth reading, enjoyable light fiction, but need more attention to detail imho.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote