Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
hongnk
hongnk began at the beginning.

Device: Apple
Powerpoint exported to fixed-layout epub 3

Powerpoint can now be used to create rich interactive content, then export to fixed-layout epub. There's a free add-in in MS Office Store called 'SlideGo Ebook Export'. To load it, open Powerpoint and select Insert -> Store -> Search for Epub (requires Powerpoint 2013/2016).

The following content are retained after conversion:
- Images and text in fixed layout as designed
- Embedded fonts
- Audios and videos
- Animations including animations by trigger

Output passes validation as EPUB3 therefore it is compatible with ebook stores.

I'm the developer and will be happy to assist if you are interested.
hongnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
MVarma
MVarma began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongnk View Post
Powerpoint can now be used to create rich interactive content, then export to fixed-layout epub. There's a free add-in in MS Office Store called 'SlideGo Ebook Export'. To load it, open Powerpoint and select Insert -> Store -> Search for Epub (requires Powerpoint 2013/2016).

The following content are retained after conversion:
- Images and text in fixed layout as designed
- Embedded fonts
- Audios and videos
- Animations including animations by trigger

Output passes validation as EPUB3 therefore it is compatible with ebook stores.

I'm the developer and will be happy to assist if you are interested.
Very interested in this, but can't find the add-in. Can you point me in the right direction?
MVarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Thanks for this. I have added it to the PPT page in our wiki. I am sure it will be a valued addition.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Thanks for this. I have added it to the PPT page in our wiki. I am sure it will be a valued addition.

Dale
@DaleDe - did you actually find the add-in. I never found it at the MS Store, but I was only marginally interested so I didn't try very hard. I found an online PPT to HTML converter from SlideGo, which I didn't try.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
MVarma
MVarma began at the beginning.

Device: None
Finally Found a Workaround

No, I never found the PPT to ePub options in the MicroSoft Store under SlideGo or any other name. From what I could track down SlideGo was bought out by another company (SoftPedia?) and no software available. Very disappointed, but it forced me to find another solution and I'll post the answer below.

I have a heavy image based book for a fixed layout. For my odd requirements I created this book in PPT. When I import my PPT PDF into an existing program (iBooks, Calibre or Kindle Creator) the portrait view looks fine but the landscape option cuts off the lower quarter of my single panel cartoon.

Easy Peasy Workaround: Create Custom Page Setup in PPT 12.78 in wide x 7.98 in high (high resolution of 1280px x 800px) for 300 dpi.

While the dimensions fit in Calibre it still strips out my text copyright information, BUT Kindle Creator and Kindle Comic Book Creator accept the images and PDFs perfectly! Finally. Took me nearly two weeks to suss out the answer.

Good luck to everyone!
MVarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DaleDe - did you actually find the add-in. I never found it at the MS Store, but I was only marginally interested so I didn't try very hard. I found an online PPT to HTML converter from SlideGo, which I didn't try.

BR
I didn't find it either but I don't have a late enough PPT to use. I did find a web site devoted to SlideGo but found only what you found. The OP waited two years after joining to post his first post. I don't know how long we will have to wait for his second.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I didn't find it either but I don't have a late enough PPT to use. I did find a web site devoted to SlideGo but found only what you found. The OP waited two years after joining to post his first post. I don't know how long we will have to wait for his second.

Dale
Don't hold your breath. We still get PPT files, that somehow, people think we'll make into reflowable eBooks by automagic. It's arrant nonsense.

When you export that cruft into HTML...let's just say, I've seen worse--but not often, and not a lot worse.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 3, epub converter, ixed layout epub 3, powerpoint