Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
John Laidler
John Laidler began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 9 tablet
A Suggestion: Yes to All?

Today I tried uploading my ebook onto Nook but hit the problem they have a maximum file size of 20Mb and my ePub file is over 80.
This is because it has nearly 200 colour illustrations and maps but by replacing these with smaller black and white versions I can come under the 20Mb limit.
I did this by creating the new image files and then with the "Add Existing Files" button in Sigil I added these new files to my existing ePub. The new image files all had the same name as the existing colour versions so these would be overwritten as they were added.
It worked, but in order to do this I had to manually choose to overwrite each and every file and with so many my finger was nearly falling off at the end.
So, unless there is a simpler alternative to the route I chose, what do folk think of this idea. This is to have the option in the "Add Existing Files" dialogue window to have a third button added which says "Yes to All" so with one click, all of the files could have been replaced easily?
Oh, and hello to everyone - this is my first post.

Last edited by John Laidler; 11-11-2016 at 11:14 AM.
John Laidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So, unless there is a simpler alternative to the route I chose,
Delete all the image files from your epub first (select all) and then add all the new ones in one go (you can export the old ones first if it's a question of having backups). No overwrites, no prompts.

And welcome!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-11-2016 at 11:54 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
By smaller, do you mean lower resolution? If so, that's a very bad idea. With devices having higher resolution screens, smaller graphics don't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
By smaller, do you mean lower resolution? If so, that's a very bad idea. With devices having higher resolution screens, smaller graphics don't work.
Stick to the question at hand, please. Personal preferences about image resolution are not relevant. The question is about prompts and easily replacing a bunch of files at once.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
John Laidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Delete all the image files from your epub first (select all) and then add all the new ones in one go (you can export the old ones first if it's a question of having backups). No overwrites, no prompts.

And welcome!
Thank you, that would certainly work though my files are not so well organised that I could import them all in one go! What happen was when I checked the finished file there were a small number of images still in colour - so I had to find the originals and after converting them to black and white add them afterwards. It's all sorted now but an accept all button would have helped but hopefully this isn't something I will need to do very often.
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
John Laidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are right of course, which is why the original epub file was over 80Mb but the Nook readers seem fairly basic to me - but I may be wrong. They are not something I have any experience of but you have prompted me to have a look at their screen resolutions. At the moment the image files for the Nook version of my book have sizes of 50Kb up to about 80Kb and 800 pixels on the long side.

Last edited by John Laidler; 11-11-2016 at 04:11 PM.