Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
verbatrium
verbatrium began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
PW3 (2015) serial Jailbreak working ?

Hi,

my PW2 has given up on me (or rather my kid has killed it).

I am looking to replace with the PW3 but i really need calibre and collections manager.

Is a jailbreak available yet, even using a serial connection ?

Searches don't really show that there has been any success yet, other than suggesting it may be possible.

Thanks for any reply

verbatrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you see the sticky for "How to jailbreak 5.6.1.0.2 (serial port) step by step"???

The basic idea is once you have obtained a root shell over the serial port, run the jb.sh from the jailbreak package.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
All devices that require installing a jail break via the serial port are done the same way.

Until someone finds a difference, you can ignore the prefix on these "HowTo Jailbreak ..."
Pick one, follow it, let us know of any problems with your specific device.

- - - -

Collections Manager is very version specific, and no one has created a version for any of the series 5.6.x firmware(s).

Ah, but Librarian Sync is probably working, there have been a scattering of reports on that.
(But very few people take the trouble to register and post that something is working, they only go to that trouble to report something isn't working (for them) ).

Last edited by knc1; 07-27-2015 at 08:23 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Again, we do need a way to properly ID those new devices (cf. here), it's (potentially) only mildy important for the JB itself, but relatively critical for anything else .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
verbatrium

Hi all,

thanks for the reply's.

I use LS as well, so if it runs on a voyage, hopefully it will run on the PW3.

I have ordered up a 1.8v usb to serial adaptor, so i guess i have committed myself to picking up that PW3 this week and going for it, hope not going for the Kobo Glo HD wasn't a mistake

The only concern i have (other than bricking the PW3) is with the linux side of things....i am afraid i was a child of good old MS-DOS and never really got round to learning unix and its sub languages. I have an old netbook kicking around, i will pop a linux distro on it rather than use a VM.

partial SN on its way in the next few days.

Thanks for your help so far (may need some more...)
Advert
Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatrium View Post
- - - -
The only concern i have (other than bricking the PW3) is with the linux side of things....i am afraid i was a child of good old MS-DOS and never really got round to learning unix and its sub languages. I have an old netbook kicking around, i will pop a linux distro on it rather than use a VM.
- - -
You will not need a very in-depth knowledge.
  • Directory path separator:
    MS Dos: '\'
    *nix: '/'
  • Root (top level) of the file system:
    MS Dos: 'Drive:' (Per drive)
    *nix: / (there is only one of them)
  • Change current directory:
    MS Dos: cd wherever
    *nix: cd wherever
  • List contents of current directory:
    MS Dos: dir
    *nix: ls (that is ell s)
  • Run a script (I.E: batch) file:
    Win/MS Dos: cmd filename (IIRC)
    *nix: sh filename

There, that should get you enough info to jb the device.

When you are logged in as the administrator (you will be, admin's name is: 'root') the command line prompt will tell you that you are named 'root' and your current directory is '/'.

With the above guide, translate this (in your mind) to familar terms:
cd /mnt/us
sh jb.sh

There, your done.
(The trick to all of this, is to get logged in as 'root' on a Kindle against the wishes of Amazon/Lab126.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-28-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
verbatrium

hi,

got root access to my PW3, but when ii get to here....

"Now you need to edit the root password for the main login
Quote:
vi /tmp/main/etc/passwd
On the first line there should be

Quote:
root:!:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
delete the ! and save"

i get this....

root:x:0:0:root:/tmp/root:/bin/sh
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
sync:x:4:100:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
operator:x:37:37:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
sshd:x:103:99:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
messagebus:x:92:92:messagebus:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/tmp:/bin/sh
default:x:1000:1000efault non-root user:/dev/null:/bin/sh
framework:x:9000:150:Framework User:/tmp/framework:/bin/sh

can i get some help please
Old 07-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
verbatrium

Hi All,

i followed this post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263113

and have successfully rooted and installed KUAL and backdoor lock to my PW3.

i am having trouble installing python and librarian sync though...

any help would be appreciated please
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

You need to also install the Mobileread Package Installer (MrPI) extension to the KUAL menu, and then use that to install packages.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
verbatrium

Hi,

yes, i have installed that, put the python bin in the folder and run the update, restarted, then put in the librarian sync bin into the folder and run that....but librarian sync does not show up on kual...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi,

yes, i have installed that, put the python bin in the folder and run the update, restarted, then put in the librarian sync bin into the folder and run that....but librarian sync does not show up on kual...
I do not have a clue to that one.
But we should be hearing back RSN if it is working on 5.6.1.1:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post3141792
(The PW-1 and the PW-3 currently both run the same firmware version, as numbered by Amazon, but we aren't sure yet that the builds are identical.)

- - - -

As a future note: You can dump all the packages you want installed into mrpackages at one time.
You don't have to do them one at a time with MrPI.

Last edited by knc1; 07-29-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
verbatrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I do not have a clue to that one.
But we should be hearing back RSN if it is working on 5.6.1.1:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post3141792
(The PW-1 and the PW-3 currently both run the same firmware version, as numbered by Amazon, but we aren't sure yet that the builds are identical.)

- - - -

As a future note: You can dump all the packages you want installed into mrpackages at one time.
You don't have to do them one at a time with MrPI.

i think the packages are being destroyed rather than installed....perhaps a version problem...?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i think the packages are being destroyed rather than installed....perhaps a version problem...?
Most likely, the new format serial number.

Our packages (like Amazon's) are 'model locked' - so the packager (KindleTool) needs to be able to find the model number in the serial number string.

I am sure NiLuJe is working on it - that is why his request for samples of PW3 serial numbers.

- - - - -

Hint:
You can use KindleTool (in NiLuJe's snapshots thread) to take apart any of our packages (or Amazon's) and then 'hand install' them by running whatever scripting they contain.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
hi,

got root access to my PW3, but when ii get to here....

"Now you need to edit the root password for the main login
Quote:
vi /tmp/main/etc/passwd
On the first line there should be

Quote:
root:!:0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
delete the ! and save"

i get this....

root:x:0:0:root:/tmp/root:/bin/sh
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
sync:x:4:100:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
operator:x:37:37:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
sshd:x:103:99:Operator:/var:/bin/sh
messagebus:x:92:92:messagebus:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/tmp:/bin/sh
default:x:1000:1000efault non-root user:/dev/null:/bin/sh
framework:x:9000:150:Framework User:/tmp/framework:/bin/sh

can i get some help please
So now delete the 'x' - that means: "Look in the shadow file".
You want:
root::0:0:root:/tmp/root:/bin/sh

The empty field means "no password required" (just press the enter key).

The 'x' will come back when you run passwd to set a password for user 'root' -
The HowTo does not mention that is optional.

You can do the jailbreak without setting a password for root.
Just be sure that no one is wire tapping your serial cable.

AND

If/When you install USBnetworking - then you will want to set a password for 'root'.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
verbatrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Most likely, the new format serial number.

Our packages (like Amazon's) are 'model locked' - so the packager (KindleTool) needs to be able to find the model number in the serial number string.

I am sure NiLuJe is working on it - that is why his request for samples of PW3 serial numbers.

- - - - -

Hint:
You can use KindleTool (in NiLuJe's snapshots thread) to take apart any of our packages (or Amazon's) and then 'hand install' them by running whatever scripting they contain.
oh,

hmm, i will see what i can do...but linux is very much a mystery to me....