Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
poodlez
poodlez began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best and cheapest E-ink Pocketbook for PDF?

Hello pocketbookers

This is my first post on this forum, happy to be here in the company of such knowledgeable people. I've been reading up on e-book readers for the last 6 hours or so and I've decided a pocketbook would be my best option due to its supposed best pdf support. I'm about to go travelling and need to convert a bunch of my paperback books into pdf, the large majority of my ebooks are also in pdf format. From what I've read the pro 912 is the best for pdf, I'm wondering if the 612 is comparable even though its smaller? Most rave reviews on viewing pdfs seemed to be for the 912 and I seen very little on the 612...I'm wondering if its just not possible on small screens or if the 612 does the best job as far as the smaller more affordable e-ink readers are concerned. I really can't afford the 912 (or any larger screen for that matter) so its out of the question...I'm wondering what the best but affordable option would be for viewing (and taking notes) on pdfs.

Also, Germany will be my first stop (awesome bonus if you know where I can find the best deals:-) so I will likely pick up my model there since pocketbooks are tough to come by in North America, so any of the models are an option, though only those with E-Ink are preferred since I'm on my computer a lot and wish to minimize eye strain.

Thanks so much for your advice, I look forward to sharing as I learn more about the world of ebook readers and possibly my new pocketbook
poodlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hello and welcome,

difficult decision you have to make

The 9" devices are ok for PDFs in natural size, e.g. for pages with formulas and embedded graphics. If it's only text a 6" reader will be enough because of the reflow function.
Dowside of the 9" is they are not very good for extended travelling because the screen is quite sensitive to breaking and they are a lot heavier than the 6", bad for everyday casual use and one-hand reading.

The 612 is a further development of the Pro series, quite similar to the 603 only without 3G support and with a WACOM touch display that can only be used with the right kind of stylus, but I've never seen one in real life and I don't know if they are still produced.
I'd go for the 622, it's available in MediaMarkt nearly everywhere in Germany, costs around 170 Euros and has the best PDF support for small devices that I have seen so far. Additional it has a standard capacitive touchscreen that you can use either with fingers or with every cheap iPad stylus for 99 cents

If you have time enough a very good idea might be to convert your text PDF books into *.mobi or *.epub format, that is a lot easier to use than PDF.
A very good tool for this is the free MobiPocket Creator, the resulting *. mobi files can be converted to *.epub using Calibre
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I really wouldn't got for 6' screen for pdf. No matter how you look at reflow solutions, they will always be clunky. There will always be a picture too large, annotation too small and weirdly placed, that will make it a hassle.

For pdf you need something bigger. Ipads and similair lcds and M96, 912, and 8 inchers from Onxy and Pocketbook.

And don't think I didn't try them. I did read couple books on regular Kindle, I even manually cropped the books, and squized every millimeter out of the screen by modding the margins. PDFs are readable, but barely.

Last edited by jackm8; 12-09-2015 at 12:50 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote