Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #1336
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Before few days I received KA1 and I comment as there were discussion how screen compares to H2O (beside size, of course).

Well, H2O has clearer, brighter screen, but it is noticeable only when directly comparing two devices.

And, I guess that's why KA1 prefers to have light on all the time, to make screen brighter.

About software, I'm using KSM (v9 for my KA1, v8 is still on my H2O) + koreader combo, much better experience than with nickel.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #1337
EnricoQ
EnricoQ began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura ONE
I hope being in the correct place, for the question I wish to ask: in my Kobo Aura ONE I have a pixel lighter than others almost in low right angle of the screen: is it a problem I should care of, or not ?
Thank you to anyone answering...
EnricoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #1338
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
@EnricoQ, the bright pixel, or pinprick of light, is a common problem across all Kobo models, and is caused by a screen defect; I think it's dust under the glass or something similar. It can't be fixed. So, if you're still in the period in which you are entitled to a return (I see you are in the EU, so that should help), get an exchange.

Kobo really needs to correct their manufacturing procedure and quality control in this area. It's been a problem since the sidelighting was introduced and is an issue across all models.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #1339
palli.90
palli.90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi guys!
I am noob in ereader and I buy my first one, a Kobo One. My case I will use often it to read pdf (manuals). is better install KOReader?
My actual version is 4.9.11311
palli.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #1340
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli.90 View Post
is better install KOReader?
Well, I might be a wrong person to answer your question, as for me koreader is superior in every way to nickel, except in two areas:

a) It doesn't have Kobo store (if it does matter to you)
b) Very, but really, very slightly higher usage of battery, which in normal usage you wouldn't know, but there are great people who tested battery usage and nickel has one nifty feature that it makes your battery lasts a bit longer. How longer? Well, if you really read a lot (let's say 3+ hours per day) you may read one or two hours more than with koereader.

Otherwise, everything else is on side of koreader. Including much better support and possibility that features needed by you actually get included in next versions, which almost never is case with nickel.
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 AM   #1341
palli.90
palli.90 began at the beginning.

I am looking for KFMon. If I understand well, using this mod is like a normal Nickel (store, homepage, etc...) and the possibility to use KOReader on few configurate files. is it right?
Anyone know any downside of this mod like battery use?
palli.90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #1342
Alan_S
Evangelist

Quote:
I am looking for KFMon.
I'm using KSM (on KA1 I'm using KSM 9, on H2O KSM 8) and can't help you with KFMon.

I don't use nickel at all, there's no advantage to me (only if you need Kobo store, you need nickel for easy access and work with it).

But, I know that you can configure KSM to work with nickel just fine, however you like it. KFMon is much simples solution (in sense, it has fewer options), KSM can be as complex, or as simple as you like.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #1343
kova4a
kova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheesekova4a can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
I am looking for KFMon. If I understand well, using this mod is like a normal Nickel (store, homepage, etc...) and the possibility to use KOReader on few configurate files. is it right?
Anyone know any downside of this mod like battery use?
I'm using KFMon and it's fine. It's like Koreader is a book in your library and you launch it from there - when you exit it from the menu the kobo restarts and goes to nickel again.
For me koreader is a huge upgrade not only for pdf files but overall, as you can change the frontlight setting and remove the red/orange tone making it yellower, which improves the contrast a lot, you can also make it brighter.
kova4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #1344
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Just thought I would jump in this thread and note that my dh and I both got the aura one eReader a with moko covers a couple weeks ago and really enjoying them. My last eReader was a Sony Prs650 so it had been a while. I can’t imagine reading on anything smaller. So far we have read mostly library books.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:18 AM   #1345
phlame64
phlame64 began at the beginning.

Thumbs up koreader works great!

Hi people, just wanted to let you know that I'm extremely satisfied with koreader running on my KA1. It handles PDFs magnificently. And pbchess is incredibly feature-rich if you're into chess. Steps taken for installing were:
  1. Install Kobo Start Menu 09 (aka KSM 09) - Instructions here;
  2. Install koreader - Instructions here;
  3. Install the whole vlasovsoft package, including the awesome pbchess - Instructions here (particularly step 5);

Software versions that I'm currently using are:
nickel version: 4.9.11311
kobo start menu 09 version: 2018.01.05
koreader version: v2015.11-1800-g0924b57_2018-07-29

Everything is working flawlessly. I would like to thank the developers for giving us such neat pieces of software to play with. Please do keep up the good work!

phlame64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #1346
reader4good
reader4good began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, KA1, Boox Nova
Overdrive syncs (w/KA1) well with library books available as ePub downloads. However, there are some books in my library that only come as "Read Online only" and are not available as a download for ADE. These books can only be read from a web browser.

Has anyone found a way to get "Read Online only" books sync-ed to their KA1's?
reader4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #1347
reader4good
reader4good began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, KA1, Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader4good View Post
Overdrive syncs (w/KA1) well with library books available as ePub downloads. However, there are some books in my library that only come as "Read Online only" and are not available as a download for ADE. These books can only be read from a web browser.

Has anyone found a way to get "Read Online only" books sync-ed to their KA1's?
The Overdrive feature I'm referring to is "Overdrive Read" in which no downloads needed, just read straight from the browser. https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...overdrive-read

It's not working that well on my KA1. Rarely, when I borrow a "Overdrive Read" book from my public library, I can get the book sync'ed to my KA1. Most of the time "Overdrive Read" books don't get sync'ed at all to the KA1. I'm on the latest FW 4.9.11311
reader4good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 AM   #1348
EnricoQ
EnricoQ began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
@EnricoQ, the bright pixel, or pinprick of light, is a common problem across all Kobo models, and is caused by a screen defect; I think it's dust under the glass or something similar. It can't be fixed. So, if you're still in the period in which you are entitled to a return (I see you are in the EU, so that should help), get an exchange.

Kobo really needs to correct their manufacturing procedure and quality control in this area. It's been a problem since the sidelighting was introduced and is an issue across all models.
Please excuse me for this late answer to your post, I am just back from a work trip.
Thank you so much for your clarification, effectively it is so small not to really disturb me.
EnricoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #1349
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader4good View Post
The Overdrive feature I'm referring to is "Overdrive Read" in which no downloads needed, just read straight from the browser. https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...overdrive-read

It's not working that well on my KA1. Rarely, when I borrow a "Overdrive Read" book from my public library, I can get the book sync'ed to my KA1. Most of the time "Overdrive Read" books don't get sync'ed at all to the KA1. I'm on the latest FW 4.9.11311
Maybe I'm misunderstanding things, but there are two things to keep in mind about Overdrive Read. First, you have to borrow the book in order to enable reading in the browser, which means that it will automatically sync with your KA1 unless the book isn't available in the Kobostore. You'd have to download the ePub, if available, and use Digital Additions to sideload it. Overdrive Read is just a desktop browser convenience. Secondly, the Kobo web browser is very bare bones. It's hardly compatible with most of the web, so it shouldn't be a surprise that it doesn't work with Overdrive Read. Their help page says, "Most current web browsers are compatible with OverDrive Read. Some browsers that work well are Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer 11, and Edge." Unfortunately, this doesn't include Kobo's browser.

~Dˢ

Last edited by Cootey; 08-25-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #1350
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
is anyone still using their KA1?

Did anyone also encounter the issue where the contrast reduced considerably after a firmware update?
I took a look at my wife's Clara and it was much better, but watching an old youtube review it seems I wasn't imagining my KA1's loss of contrast... Not sure if it's a power/voltage issue or truly software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIIPNAv7ac

Last edited by serwei; 09-04-2022 at 10:16 PM.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote