Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #46
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordie71 View Post
This I think would work for me if I can just get the Damn think to sync to the PC :P ... SD card hasn't unlocked the free books (there where not there after the firmware up) ... hmm Might have to get my VitrualBox Ubtunu up and do some tinkering to make a fireware update or downgrade (is that possible) SD card ...:þ
We do offer a 1.4 firmware update for Original Kobos in our Chapters/Indigo locations, if you'd like to bring it in we'll be happy to update your original Kobo to try and fix that Syncing issue you're having.

and once again taming thanks for the insight on the firmware question also good to have the right answers to give when you get those technical questions from people bringing back Kobos.
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #47
rischa
rischa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Soooo, don't know if I just missed seeing this discussed... but does anyone know if the new firmware is available for Borders Australia customers yet?

rischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #48
Atlantisfan
Atlantisfan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I updated from the Borders site today.
Atlantisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #49
rischa

Oh that's good news - I take it everything went smoothly then? No troubles at all? I was wondering if I should wait for a card image, but everyone seems to be doing fine with the USB update this time around...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I will be upgrading my Kobo 1.4 tonight via an SD card kindly sent to me by Taming (many thanks once again!). As the SD card update to 1.4 was essentially painless, I do not think this upgrade will be any different.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #51
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Just did my Kobo update from Borders Australia direct to device with NO problems! Hooray!
I did decide to load books via Calibre (after the upgrade) onto a completely new SD card as I am not sure whether the old SD card was corrupted in a previous crash. It needed a good a good "spring clean" anyhow as I seem to have way too many old books etc still hanging around. I prefer to put books from Gutenberg etc on the SD card and keep the device storage free for bought books.
I followed the instructions to the letter - waited for things to load properly and take their own time.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #52
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Well, it looks like things are smoother than they were at first. 1.8.3 seems to have taken care of some of the issues with earlier 1.8.x versions. As far as I know, there are no plans to make SD cards available, though people can build them. If you have access to a Linux computer, you can download the file and create your own, see the links here.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #53
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I will be upgrading my Kobo 1.4 tonight via an SD card kindly sent to me by Taming
I can't believe how long it takes to send a first class letter from Western Canada to you in OZ. If I remember correctly, I mailed it the week before Xmas.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #54
rischa

Hmmm well whatever you do, don't take your Kobo into Borders for the 1.8 firmware update... I just went in on my lunchbreak and waited for an hour only to have my Kobo returned to me, minus books, with the 1.4 firmware still on it! Since I'd used up my whole lunchbreak, I had no choice but to take it!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #55
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I can't believe how long it takes to send a first class letter from Western Canada to you in OZ. If I remember correctly, I mailed it the week before Xmas.
I believe the Christmas rush may have had something to do with it. I received two parcels as well as two Christmas cards from the UK a week after Christmas last week that were sent before Christmas day.

The main thing is that I have the SD card now
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 AM   #56
rischa

Eeep! My Kobo wouldn't go into upgrade mode, and now it won't boot at all, it's just stuck on the first three bars.

Did anyone else have anything similar to this happen?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #57
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Did you try pin reset? Was your reader fully/mostly charged when you started?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #58
rischa

Yeah it was almost fully charged and I've tried a couple of pin resets. The friendly Kobo lady on the phone said I'd need to take it back to the store for a reflash.

... so off to deal with Borders "tech" department again at lunchtime. *sigh*.

Oh and for anyone who wants to know, the Kobo customer support also said no Australian retail outlets have 1.8 card images so they can't do the update via card instore.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #59
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I hope you're pulling a pay cheque from Kobo taming; you're doing a lot of tech support here!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #60
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rischa View Post
Yeah it was almost fully charged and I've tried a couple of pin resets. The friendly Kobo lady on the phone said I'd need to take it back to the store for a reflash.
I am glad you at least had a friendly Kobo lady on the phone. There are two parts to a successful update--the correct desktop application AND the 1.8.3 update. Borders in AU is supposed to have both of them sorted out, but it might make sense to wait a bit and look at the Aussie boards to see if this is working properly.

You can also use the Kobo desktop rather than the Borders one for the update, just be aware that your books from Borders will disappear and you will have to download them from the Borders site again.

The way it works is that you can have the kepub books and sync with only one website/desktop application--but you can purchase and download ePUB books from all of them, if you wish. Just remember to use the same Adobe account for all of the websites from which you will be purchasing ePUB books and the same email address for all of the website registrations.Once you have decided which website you will be using for syncing across devices and loading onto your device through sync, you pretty much will want to keep it that way.

Last edited by taming; 01-17-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: horrible, horrible spelling and a bit more information