Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #121
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa12321 View Post
mmm... not sure...
Anyway, how would it be done? how can I assign shift-space or something to change the page?

Thank you!
I don't know about other Kindles, but for the K3, put this in your ini file:

Code:
Space = !echo "send 191">/proc/keypad
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #122
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa12321 View Post
Hey Fethry!! Thank you very much!!! Finally I could assign the key "Z" to "Pageup" by changing the keymap.xml file searching in the default directory....
But I could not find the file where you can input the 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees which is a cleaner solution....
If you could tell me about that file, I would really appreciate it....

Rafael
ah, - I knew I would come in trouble

I don't have it running, but had some look among some directory. At least, if you look in /fbKindle, you will find a hidden directory and file .FBReader/config.changes

<group name="Rotation">
<option name="Angle" value="-1" category="options"/>
</group> <group name="Rotation">

--------- ?? Perhaps it was here, changing the -1 to a positive value ? Or did I set it to -3 ? Do some experiments.

I know there was some other files that I fooled around with too - but since you probably have looked around, perhaps this hidden directory could be it. Hope this help.

hmm.... for a permanent fix, you will have to find the option settings in the menu, if I recall it..
Anyway, there may be other hidden files.. guess I need some new memory cells

Last edited by FethryDuck; 04-07-2011 at 06:44 PM.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #123
rafa12321
rafa12321 began at the beginning.

Device: papyre
hahaha, Never mind Fethry. My solution works for me.
Anyway, when I look around next time and I find out I will let you know.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
Rafa
rafa12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #124
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I have a bug report and a couple feature requests. The bug is simply that the status bar does not show in landscape mode. The commands work, of course, but there's no status bar.

As for features, I'd really like it if launchpad would send the key presses to the program straight after they've been pressed, and THEN showing it in the status bar. Currently, it shows the success message and then sends the key presses. With programs like MPlayer, this results in a delay between, say, pressing the pause key combo and it actually pausing, usually around 1-1.5 seconds.

Perhaps it'd be nice to be able to turn off the status bar altogether?

Also, being able to add messages to display in the status bar when key combos are pressed would be awesome. Like MPlayer, pressing Shift M N goes to the next song. It's be nice if the status bar said, "Success! - Next Song" or something like that.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #125
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
I have a bug report and a couple feature requests. The bug is simply that the status bar does not show in landscape mode. The commands work, of course, but there's no status bar.

As for features, I'd really like it if launchpad would send the key presses to the program straight after they've been pressed, and THEN showing it in the status bar. Currently, it shows the success message and then sends the key presses. With programs like MPlayer, this results in a delay between, say, pressing the pause key combo and it actually pausing, usually around 1-1.5 seconds.

Perhaps it'd be nice to be able to turn off the status bar altogether?

Also, being able to add messages to display in the status bar when key combos are pressed would be awesome. Like MPlayer, pressing Shift M N goes to the next song. It's be nice if the status bar said, "Success! - Next Song" or something like that.
Before the statusbar was added in a later version of Launchpad, the commands would execute a lot faster. IMO, the command should be executed as soon as the first statusbar message is shown, not when the success message is shown.

I have also suggested to make a binary to change the statusbar message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I think that the status bar is a great idea that could be utilized across other projects too. For example, if you made it a stand alone file that could be passed arguments, many people would be able to use that for feedback. If somebody created a script to obtain the battery life in a percentage, "status Current Battery Life: $batlife" would display the actual battery life in a percentage at the bottom of the screen. This could be useful for those people wanting percentages, but also for people who want to check the progress of their Kindle charging.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #126
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Yeah, I've always wanted a battery life percentage indicator. I'm not sure why Amazon didn't include one. Come to think of it, there are many things they did not include that would be common sense to have in an e-reader. My guess is another Kindle (obviously) will be coming out later.

Anyway, I think the commands should be executed even before anything is shown, because the status bar takes a bit to come up in the first place. And sometimes, it corrupts the graphics on that bottom row, and you need to turn pages before it goes away. That's why I think we should be able to disable it.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #127
eewestcoaster
eewestcoaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking Thanks for the great hack!

This is a fantastic hack!

I've been trying to make a custom keyboard for my Kindle 3 for a while now, and ran into problems turning individual pages. Turns out the main keypad's 5-way can only jump between chapters, not individual pages.

The solution? Launchpad. Tonight I successfully mapped the 5-way's Left and Right buttons to turn individual pages, and the hardest part of my project is now done!

Thanks to h1uke for the hack itself and everyone else in this thread/forum for the help and clarification. You guys rock.
eewestcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #128
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
IMO, the command should be executed as soon as the first statusbar message is shown, not when the success message is shown.
the first statusbar message indicates that the hotkey sequence was recognized,
accepted and that the corresponding action/command will be attempted.
The success/failure message indicates the result of this attempt. The moment
when this message gets shown depends on the nature of the action.
For shell commands running in detached mode (xxx = !yyy &) you'll see this
message immediately. If there's no & at the end of the action string, then
the success/failure message will be shown only when the 'action' finishes.

Making the status_message/running_action synchronous guarantees that the
status message wouldn't interfere with any other screen output.
And this is the main reason why it is implemented this way.

Quote:
I have also suggested to make a binary to change the statusbar message:
I think the best solution would be suppressing launchpad status messages and
implementing a standalone "banner generator" which could be run from a command line.
This will allow any custom application (including the launchpad) to effortlessly
show short screen messages, when needed.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #129
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
The banner generator is not actually a problem.
See attached script and demo ini file:

Code:
## Usage: /mnt/us/launchpad/kimesg <delay (in seconds)> <first line> [<second line>]
[Actions]
K M = !/mnt/us/launchpad/kimesg 0 "Hello world, this is Kindle."
K D = !/mnt/us/launchpad/kimesg 2 "Hello world, this is Kindle." "More verbose, uses two lines."
K S = !dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1 & /mnt/us/launchpad/kimesg 5 "Content refreshed."
The delay is useful if you want to prevent overwriting your message with a "Success !" message from launchpad.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kimesg.zip (884 Bytes, 400 views)
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 AM   #130
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
The banner generator is not actually a problem.
See attached script and demo ini file:
yes and no. Personally I would prefer to do not rely on any undocumented script or binary.
Even if it comes out-of-the box from Amazon.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #131
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
does this work on Kindle2?
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #132
Dmitro25
Dmitro25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
h1uke
Thank you for the launchpad. It is a very useful application.
New Screenshot feature is cool, but can you make each screenshot file unique, not 'screenshot.bmp' always, like in native Kindle firmware. The best way is to use timestamp at the end of filename or some incrementing counter value.
Dmitro25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #133
bosie
bosie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eewestcoaster View Post
The solution? Launchpad. Tonight I successfully mapped the 5-way's Left and Right buttons to turn individual pages, and the hardest part of my project is now done!
care to share? i am after that too, especially in landscape mode.
bosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #134
eewestcoaster
eewestcoaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosie View Post
care to share? i am after that too, especially in landscape mode.
I used the line from kranu's post, earlier in this same thread. Basically you set up the hotkey combination Shift+[YOURKEY] (where "YOURKEY" is any key of your choosing) to send a keystroke to the system.

In my case I used the FW_Right and FW_Left keys, located on the main keypad's 5-way controller. If you want to do it in Landscape mode, my guess is that you'd use FW_Up (or maybe k3_FW_Up, I'm not sure) and FW_Down instead.

When you install Launchpad, look at the keydefs.ini.default file (I'm at work right now but if memory serves, the file on your Kindle doesn't have the "default" extension, it's just "keydefs.ini"). This is where you'll get both the symbolic name and numeric command equivalent for each key. For example, we want to turn a page to the right, so that means we have to send the numeric command 191.

The file servicecmds.ini contains the scripts you can launch with the hotkey combinations. "Shift" is the hotkey start button, so it's just assumed. In my case the hotkey combo was Shift + FW_Right, so I added this line to the end of the file:

Code:
FW_Right = !echo "send 191">/proc/keypad
If you want to go back a page, just change the 191 to 193 as per the keydefs.ini.default file.

Note that there are timing requirements - check the launchpad.ini file for details.

Good luck!
eewestcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #135
balle
balle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
does this work with kindle 3 special offers (firmware 3.2)

I download the bin files and have tried all three k3w, k3gb and k3g and I get a message saying the "Update was not successful"

Has any one got to work with Kindle 3 with special offers (firmware 3.2)
balle is offline   Reply With Quote