Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
MathewM
MathewM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Go with either the Kindle or the iPad. I previously owned a Sony Pocket Reader and used it to read news downloaded from Calibre. There are two problems though with doing this. First, you'll find that many news articles downloaded are incomplete. I would assume that this is due to the fact that Calibre basically pulls html from websites and links are not processed correctly. Second, since the Sony Pocket Reader does not offer wireless you have to plug it into your computer. For me this became an inconvenience. So I recommend at least purchasing a wireless device. One key advantage of the Kindle is that you get free 3G. For that you'll pay a premium with the iPad.
MathewM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
So for reading newspapers and magazines the iPad wins by virtue of interface and color screen over the Kindle DX? If I understand this correctly.

Can I use Calibre's RSS feeds on an iPad?

If I were to buy an iPad for reading newspapers and magazines (and maybe text books or tech manual books) how much memory do I need?
I guess yea, if you wanted your paper and magazines to actually look like magazines you get on a newstand, iPad would be the best option.

For me, I don't mind so much about how pretty it looks. I just want the information inside. So, reading news/magazines on the Kindle has been my preferred choice so far. If I owned an iPad, I would probably use the iPad for magazines however. They really do look great on the iPad.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #18
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
So how much memory do I need on an iPad to read newspapers and magazine. Maybe comics as my kid has now shown interest in this too.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote