Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just Picked up my PRS900

Impulse, you know. I found one locally available at Best Buy and that's all it took. (particularly after selling my Astak Pocket Pro last weekend).

I'll post my impressions after I've had a chance to use it a bit.

First off the screen appears to be the same as the 600 contrast-wise. The 505 is definitely better, but that's about what I expected.

Setup/login to the Sony Store and Adobe DE was painless.

More later.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Congratulations, kenny.

I always like it when someone expresses joy when purchasing a new ebook Reader.

Let us all know how you like the larger screen, please.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-25-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Don. I've used it just a bit so far and the screen seems a bit strange due to the aspect ration being so different. It's the same width as the 505, but taller. Rotating it makes it very nice and wide, but then there's no vertical real-estate. Navigation is a bit different as well. I'm just figuring out how to follow links and get back. I may subscribe to the local paper (Denver Post) just to try out that aspect or it and since it is one of the few local papers available be good to support e-newspapers.

I tried out the search (on thing I couldn't do on the 505) and it works fine!

Dictionary is likely to be useful as well.

Hey and BONUS! I now have a charger for both the 900 and the 505!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Will be following to see your further impressions Kenny. By the way, I checked out your sites...fabulous pictures! Will need to spend more time there.
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Great! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say about its performance with respect to large (viz. 8 1/2 by 11) pdf files.

Last edited by Vector; 01-25-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: correct typos
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
kennyc

Thanks Jan. I tend to avoid pdfs if at all possible. I do have one PDF collection of short stories and it seems about the same as on my 505.

I signed up for the local newspaper - The Denver Post. Expected to be available already this morning (they have to print it right?) but when I downloaded it is Yesterday's paper. Hmmm.... and it seems to not all be there -- no comics etc and reading it is somewhat difficult.... I don't think this newspaper thing is going to work for me....

Screen is very readable and now that I've learned how to navigate that is a bit better.

Edit: I just tried reading Science Daily on it and it was pain in the ass -- Kindle2 is the best for this of all the readers I've tried.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-25-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I signed up for the local newspaper - The Denver Post. Expected to be available already this morning (they have to print it right?) but when I downloaded it is Yesterday's paper. Hmmm.... and it seems to not all be there -- no comics etc and reading it is somewhat difficult.... I don't think this newspaper thing is going to work for me....
It seems you're not alone. There's a review in the Reader Store for that newspaper with the same complaint as yours regarding lack of content.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
kennyc

Thanks Scion. I'm sure the content is due to the provider, not Sony, but I would expect to get the same thing and get it earlier even if I'm signed up for a higher priced electronic subscription. ....
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
kennyc

I did get auto-delivery of my subscribed paper within the last hour...
Old 01-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Kenny, I just used calibre to download todays Denver Post rss feeds. It is a .9 meg file if that tells you anything. You might want to try that and compare the free with the subscription.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I am going to guess it must be the way that paper is doing their formatting. NY Times is fantastic on the Reader....may just want to give it a .75 go just to try it. I haven't tried subscription yet though, I am hoping for the NY Post to become available.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by olguy View Post
Kenny, I just used calibre to download todays Denver Post rss feeds. It is a .9 meg file if that tells you anything. You might want to try that and compare the free with the subscription.
So did you have to set up some special recipe or what to do that? I didn't think it had a built in recipe for The Denver Post.

I did a similar experiment with downloading The Atlantic from Amazon and comparing to the Calibre version. They were pretty much identical.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
So have you read much yet? How do you feel about the aspect ratio? I have a PRS-900 on order and I don't know if I'm going to especially like the aspect ratio. Seems... odd.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
kennyc

I don't like the aspect ratio. I think it should be wider. Just my feeling though. I've been pretty much using it since I picked it up about noon yesterday. Certainly it is very readable and works well either portrait or landscape.

One of the main things I wanted was the search ability and that works well.

I don't like the fingerprints all over the screen though.

Touch sensitivity seems about right. Not too sensitive to react to everything but not too light either. You definitely have to press to select or turn page.

The glare is annoying at times but not horribly bad. The screen is certainly better for reading on the 505 but it's all trade-offs, eh?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
olguy
Enthusiast
olguy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So did you have to set up some special recipe or what to do that? I didn't think it had a built in recipe for The Denver Post.

I did a similar experiment with downloading The Atlantic from Amazon and comparing to the Calibre version. They were pretty much identical.
There is a recipe in calibre for the Denver Post. Search for Denver in the Schedule news dpownload pop-up.
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote