Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
regul8or
regul8or began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question Cyrillic FB2 -> EPUB -> PRS-505 = Fail

I tried to use EPUB instead of LRF for format. Unfortunately, for books in Russian I tried the result is less then satisfactory.

EPUB is generated with all Cyrillics in place and utf-8 encoding. Device itself have Unicode support and Unicode font installed. But all Cyrillic characters in the book are displayed as ????? It's hard to read this, you know .

Is there anything I missed?
regul8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by regul8or View Post
I tried to use EPUB instead of LRF for format. Unfortunately, for books in Russian I tried the result is less then satisfactory.

EPUB is generated with all Cyrillics in place and utf-8 encoding. Device itself have Unicode support and Unicode font installed. But all Cyrillic characters in the book are displayed as ????? It's hard to read this, you know .

Is there anything I missed?
You missed embedding a Cyrillic font into the ePub or on the Reader. You'll then have to edit the CSS so the ePub can use the font(s) be they on the Reader or in the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You missed embedding a Cyrillic font into the ePub or on the Reader. You'll then have to edit the CSS so the ePub can use the font(s) be they on the Reader or in the ePub.
You can also use online fb2epub converter at http://sorotokin.com/fb2epub.html (or get the code run it locally from http://code.google.com/p/epub-tools/). It does embed subsetted cyrillic fonts in EPUB.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
stahanovez
Connoisseur
stahanovez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stahanovez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stahanovez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N810, Sony PRS 505
If I want to read an ebook in cyrillic on Sony PRS 505 is it enough to creat an epub with embed cyrillic font?

without to flash the Sony PRS 505 with russian hack-firmware?

I don't want to lose my warranty.
stahanovez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahanovez View Post
If I want to read an ebook in cyrillic on Sony PRS 505 is it enough to creat an epub with embed cyrillic font?

without to flash the Sony PRS 505 with russian hack-firmware?

I don't want to lose my warranty.

Yes. It is enough.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
regul8or

Do I need fonts to be embedded to the book if reader already flashed with unicode fonts with cyrillics?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regul8or View Post
Do I need fonts to be embedded to the book if reader already flashed with unicode fonts with cyrillics?
Actually yes. The reason for this is that PRS-505 has two sets of fonts. On set is used natively by the device for it's LRF format. However epub software uses it's own fonts. So when you flash the device you change only fonts used for LRF.

To overcome this limitation you can do 2 things:

1. Embed Cyrillic fonts in epub
2. Point in css of epub to use device's LRF fonts
Here is an example:

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "serif1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf)} 
@font-face {font-family: "sans-serif1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf)} 

body{font-family: serif1, serif}
p {font-family: serif1, serif}
h1 {font-family: sans-serif1, sans-serif}
You can see that apart from specifying the new fonts I also add the default ones. This is just in case you use epub on some other device so it can fallback to default fonts in case of need. Otherwise reader might crash.

As a side note I can say that by pointing epub to use LRF fonts you are tying
the book to specific kind of device which may or may not be good for you. It is something you should have in mind when deciding how to prepare your ebooks.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
regul8or

Thanks for the detailed response. I believe it will help to solve all my issues.

Tags
prs-505, unicode