Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Working!-Running full Calibre GUI and content server hosted on Synology Docker

Update 12 Oct 2019: The aptalca calibre image no longer works due to incompatibility with Calibre 4+

I just got a used Synology DS411+II which is an intel-based NAS.

I copied my existing Calibre library from my PC to my NAS, and then install Docker and aptalca docker-rdp-calibre:

https://github.com/aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre

First time playing with Docker and after several hours of trying, I am glad I can get it running, both the Calibre full package and Calibre content server.

Calibre will automatically restart when my NAS restart (Docker will automatically restart too).

I've tried succesfully the schedule news download, email. Will further explore.

Last edited by bthoven; 10-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
MrCaringi
Venezuelan
MrCaringi began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (B0D4 Series)
Terrific job! can you share the links with instructions?
MrCaringi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 03:08 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Here is the link with instruction:

I attach my setup screenshots from my DS411+II for your reference.

Firstly, you have to install Docker from the Package Center; download and install rdp-Calibre image, create your calibre library and copy all your existing ebook there....then do the setup (see my screenshots).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-image.JPG
Views:	12908
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	145845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-container.JPG
Views:	10032
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	145846   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-container-edit.JPG
Views:	10166
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	145847   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-container-edit-volume.JPG
Views:	9450
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	145848   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-shared-folder.JPG
Views:	8517
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	145849   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-file-station.JPG
Views:	8261
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	145850   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-permission.JPG
Views:	8095
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	145851   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-calibre-resources.JPG
Views:	9657
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	145852  

Last edited by bthoven; 01-27-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Here is the link with instruction:

I attach my setup screenshots from my DS411+II for your reference.

Firstly, you have to install Docker from the Package Center; download and install rdp-Calibre image, create your calibre library and copy all your existing ebook there....then do the setup (see my screenshots).
Thanks so much! Ill try it this weekend! I'll sahre the results!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist

Sorry, you can find and download rdp-calibre image from Docker search in Synology.

You may follow these steps:
Step-1: copy your existing Calibre Library from your PC to Synology

Step-2: On DSM (Synology), go to App Center to download Docker

Step-3: On DSM, go to Main Menu, find Docker app, and click to run it

Step-4: Click Registry tab on the left, type "Calibre" to search for Aptalca/docker-rdp-calibre, click at aptalca...., and click Download button on the top

Step-5: Click Image tab on the left, you will see aptalca....image is being downloaded. Wait till the download completed

and do the setup before running it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0-registry-rdp-calibre.JPG
Views:	7405
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	145879  

Last edited by bthoven; 01-27-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

Cant see "DOCKER" in the "Package Center", Do I have to Install IPKG in first place to activate this package download?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist

What nas model are you running? I attached the list of supported models for your reference. If you have a supported model, Docker should be in the package center.

Pls refer to this link:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/Docker
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0-supported-models.JPG
Views:	2548
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	145903  
Old 01-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Danfozzy
Danfozzy began at the beginning.

Device: Android, kindle
Thanks for this! Did you have to create a user "nobody" as im not able to create it, says its a reserved system name

ive got it running, the actual program that is, not sure how to get the server going.

were are the books stored that are converted by calibre as i cant find were the user guide is let alone were to hunt down for the converted ones!

how do you update to the latest version, i noticed that EDGE needs to =1 but were can i put that into the docker package?

my Calibre_Library folder is empty, with the exception of the config folder, and that too is empty?? are you running this through SSH or are you just simply running this via the on toggle in the docker app?

Last edited by Danfozzy; 01-30-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Danfozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
Danfozzy
Danfozzy began at the beginning.

Device: Android, kindle
right, ive sussed some so it lol

ive set the mounts up differently so i can put the config and the library into a different area on my Nas and access them (didnt want the config folder to sit inside my library).

ive worked out how to update to the latest by setting the enviroment variable ECHO and value 1.

not had chance to play with the server yet, trying to get the program right first.

im now trying to setup a mounted folder for the auto import use, so when i download a book, calibre will automatically pick it up and place it in my library itself. I can get the mount to recognize the folder i have on my Nas in the calibre app, but everytime i press add book and point to it, it says i dont have the correct permissions

edit - the permissions wasnt set for config foler, sort now all up sand running and auto importing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	4532
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	145938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	4701
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	145939  

Last edited by Danfozzy; 01-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Danfozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi Danfozzy,

Glad you successfully set it up and running. I set it up long time ago and can't remember all the details.

It would be appreciated if you could summarize your set up steps in order to help others who might be interested in doing the same.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-01-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfozzy View Post

ive set the mounts up differently so i can put the config and the library into a different area on my Nas and access them (didnt want the config folder to sit inside my library).

ive worked out how to update to the latest by setting the enviroment variable ECHO and value 1.

not had chance to play with the server yet, trying to get the program right first.

im now trying to setup a mounted folder for the auto import use, so when i download a book, calibre will automatically pick it up and place it in my library itself. I can get the mount to recognize the folder i have on my Nas in the calibre app, but everytime i press add book and point to it, it says i dont have the correct permissions

edit - the permissions wasnt set for config foler, sort now all up sand running and auto importing!
Danfozzy,

Could you type up some instructions on how you got this to run and work? I just got my Synology DS1515+ last week so I'm not all familiar with DSM and Docker.

I did try to install Docker and download and ran the contain but it didn't run, so I guess there are some configuration that you would have to do. So if you could write down the steps you took to get yours working that would be really appreciated!
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
MrCaringi
Venezuelan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
What nas model are you running? I attached the list of supported models for your reference. If you have a supported model, Docker should be in the package center.

Pls refer to this link:

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/app_packages/Docker
I have the DS214play... not suported... its a shame, it has 1GB DDR3 Ram and a Intel dual core at 1.6 Ghz...
Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Torpido
Torpido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
How to add files

I've got more or less the same setup as DanFozzy, but for the world of me, can't seem to add files. I mean, when I 'browse' to add files, it shows me /nobody/ folder, but from that folder, I have no way to get to my 'shared' folders on synology.
From the images, I can get to the 'root' of my synology, but I can't find the mount points anywhere
from my 'mount' statement in the CLI

/dev/vg1/volume_1 on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfm t=vfsv0,synoacl)

But there is no /dev/vg1 when I check the /dev folder, so I don't know how to get to \Calibre_New (where I put my new ebooks)
any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snip1.PNG
Views:	2558
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	147058   Click image for larger version

Name:	snip2.PNG
Views:	2274
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	147059   Click image for larger version

Name:	snip3.PNG
Views:	2045
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	147060  
Torpido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
tweebee
Enthusiast
tweebee doesn't littertweebee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpido View Post
I've got more or less the same setup as DanFozzy, but for the world of me, can't seem to add files. I mean, when I 'browse' to add files, it shows me /nobody/ folder, but from that folder, I have no way to get to my 'shared' folders on synology.
From the images, I can get to the 'root' of my synology, but I can't find the mount points anywhere
from my 'mount' statement in the CLI

/dev/vg1/volume_1 on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfm t=vfsv0,synoacl)

But there is no /dev/vg1 when I check the /dev folder, so I don't know how to get to \Calibre_New (where I put my new ebooks)
any ideas?
After playing with Docker for a few weeks, I finally was able to get my Calibre up running!

You can mount a new folder in the Volume tab:
File/Folder: /volume1/*share_to_your_Calibre_New_folder*/
Mount Path: /Calibre_New

So now when you are in Calibre. Click Add books then click My Computer then click on the / root folder, you should see your Calibre_New folder.

Hope this helps.
tweebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
mschut
mschut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo (HD)
I keep on getting the "you dont have the correct permissions" popup. I am trying to give it to the needed user, but which one is it? I can not assign permissions to the user "nobody". Canbt see it. Cant add it either (says it already exists). Cant see any other user which could be the right one. Could you please help me how to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfozzy View Post

mschut is offline   Reply With Quote