Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
perchiper
perchiper began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
[YOUR ADVICES ARE IMPORTANT] Regret after premature purchase & thoughts over 2nd one

Hi there,

I have been reading most eBook in .mobi format on my laptop for almost 2 years; using mobipocket and converting others from non-mobi to mobi for personal use with calibre.

SKIP AHEAD IF YOU DON'T NEED TO READ MY 'NEW' EXPERIENCE WITH READER

Quote:
I made a spontaneous decision several days ago in buying Kindle Fire, which had me severely disappointed when I found it has no sufficient eBook managing system (for me). Many mention about the omission of Kindle Collection features which resembles file manager.

I tried utilizing 3rd party apps such as ES File Explorer which get me nowhere unless I am to organize other files aside eBook. I am able to read transferred eBook from laptop to Kindle by removing DRM, and reconvert. Thing is, I cannot open the file from ES apps - "Sorry, no application available". Which lead me to another net discussion that something prevent eBook to be opened from ES.

Other similar discussion about heavy emphasis on tablet rather than a reader has been flooding amazon forum in kindle fire. Ultimately, heavy reader with hundreds of eBooks require efficient file managing for their Kindle.

I am less inclined to wait for eBook management apps. It might take a long time for developer (in Amazon or XDA) to create stable version - if they do create one in the future.

I require a reader with these capabilities:
- eBook file management (some sort of file explorer for eBook. I think previous Kindle users called it 'Kindle Collections') - as I have hundreds of files.
- Microsoft office (Word, Excel, ..... PPT can be optional) At least able to read. If can create, even better
- eBooks format mostly used: MOBI, PRC, PDB
- File Formats required: TXT, PDF, PICTURES (JPEG, BITMAP..... PNG can be optional)
- Bowser with WI-FI capabilities (No 3G. Black/White is ok if it cannot be colour)
- E-mail capabilities
- Music/Video ability is not important. I can live without them in my reader
- I don't purchase eBook. They are ready on my computer to be transferred into the reader.

I have visited several comparison sites too. It is tough choosing one brand over another. There is always a sacrifice over formats. While it is nice to have long battery life, color, and lightweight features, it is more important for me to be able to read over my eBooks and necessary documents on the road.

I sincerely thank you for any suggestion and critical advisement.

Best Regards,

Ein
perchiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use collections on my K3 and I miss them on the Fire, but a partial work around is to include series info in the ebook title. This is effective on the Fire because search is very fast.

In Calibre, under Preferences -> Metadata Plugboards I have (MOBI - Kindle_Fire - title):
Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
With this approach, the title is augmented when writing to the Fire. See Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates for other examples.

I bring this up because, with the exception of collections, the Fire seems to meet your needs well. Another Fire-based option might be a 3rd party ePub app. There are several available, but Mantano Reader is often recommended and has collections, see Kindle Fire will read epub. Calibre generally does a good job converting your MOBIs into ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd say: convert your mobi to epub and get another reading application, such as Mantano. It also supports sub-collections...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
What you're asking for is NOT an eReader. It's a Tablet. (The requirement for MS Office app compatiility, for one.)

If you were looking for an eReader, I would have said Kindle -- Touch or Keyboard, your choice. You already have most of your books in a format you like. And it's trivial to organize them into collections. Well, easier on the Keyboard than the Touch, since the Keyboard lets me use a Calibre plug-in to do it, but still quite easy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
You might want to consider the jetBook Color.

It generally fits your criteria and in terms of eBook management you can create ur own files/folders. Plus the multitude of supported formats should be of interest to you.

There's a thread on it here
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post

It generally fits your criteria and in terms of eBook management you can create ur own files/folders. Plus the multitude of supported formats should be of interest to you.

I think about buying it too.
But what about the office application the OP needed?
Is something like Word already on board or is this part of future software releases?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Is something like Word already on board or is this part of future software releases?
I'm sure the formats will be supported eventually BUT in my opinion there's no point.

Reason: convert it all to PDF and have it on the device right now - easy as that.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
perchiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I use collections on my K3 and I miss them on the Fire, but a partial work around is to include series info in the ebook title. This is effective on the Fire because search is very fast.

In Calibre, under Preferences -> Metadata Plugboards I have (MOBI - Kindle_Fire - title):
Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
With this approach, the title is augmented when writing to the Fire. See Techniques to use plugboards, custom columns and templates for other examples.

I bring this up because, with the exception of collections, the Fire seems to meet your needs well. Another Fire-based option might be a 3rd party ePub app. There are several available, but Mantano Reader is often recommended and has collections, see Kindle Fire will read epub. Calibre generally does a good job converting your MOBIs into ePubs.

An insightful advice, my friend. Thank you. I have not tried it yet. My laptop has gone under service repair for a week and I am currently typing on Mom's notebook.

I think I will try to do it once I have my laptop back. Although I really prefer it when Amazon or XDA-developers is releasing an upgrade or apps for e-book management. Perhaps I will limit my eBook on the Kindle for the moment.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
perchiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd say: convert your mobi to epub and get another reading application, such as Mantano. It also supports sub-collections...
Hi Sweetpea, thanks for replying. Is Mantano an application such as Mobipocket (only on a different format base) or it is a physical reader? If it turns out to be the latter, I have to look where I can buy one.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
perchiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
What you're asking for is NOT an eReader. It's a Tablet. (The requirement for MS Office app compatiility, for one.)

If you were looking for an eReader, I would have said Kindle -- Touch or Keyboard, your choice. You already have most of your books in a format you like. And it's trivial to organize them into collections. Well, easier on the Keyboard than the Touch, since the Keyboard lets me use a Calibre plug-in to do it, but still quite easy.
I have read other thread ahead of me, CRussel. If I'm not mistaken, it's created by a med-student. I have been considering about tablet since then. I even reading side-by-side tablet comparison from OS to weight. I admit, it overwhelms me. This is the first time I am actually planning to buy eReader vs. Tablet.

Thinking about it, I only have two option:
1. Keep my Kindle, hoping an e-book management app or reduce the amount of e-book on my Kindle
2. Sell my Kindle, buy another replacement eBook reader or Tablet
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
perchiper

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Thanks, LuBiB. Reading Beryll Snyder's post, I think I will consider it when I am giving up reading Office files on the road. On that time, it would be exclusively for eBook. Then again, I have to find where I can buy one. Still, it's a consideration I have not think of before. So thanks guys ^^
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
perchiper

Quote:
I'm sure the formats will be supported eventually BUT in my opinion there's no point.

Reason: convert it all to PDF and have it on the device right now - easy as that.
It's practical. I like the way you think, my friend.

But! The reason I love .mobi, .prc, or .pdb is the modification that I can do with them, either with the font size, or color depending on the reader I use.

With PDF, once I zoom a certain part, it reacts like a photo. You cannot really see the whole part, if you know what I mean. You can still see if you move your cursor or some sort of thing. I cannot explain it clearly. Well, that is that.

Unless... is there any way to access PDF in the same way as other file format?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchiper View Post
Hi Sweetpea, thanks for replying. Is Mantano an application such as Mobipocket (only on a different format base) or it is a physical reader? If it turns out to be the latter, I have to look where I can buy one.
It's an application that you can install on your Fire. We even have a thread for it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131997

There is a ad-based version available so you can see if it works for you. It should also be on the Amazon Market.

It does about everything mobipocket did, including the highlighting and note-taking. Only the format is different and, which is a great advantage I think, it supports sub-collections...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote