Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #1666
edmond
Enthusiast
edmond began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox C65 AG
Eventually, I installed otfm: it works.

Just to fix my previous post, I had to click install.oar, not install_sys_progs.oar.

One more question (not related to otfm): on the M92 I experience the same problem that I have on the C65 AG, i.e. accented letters in file names are wrongly displayed. For example, "città" is displayed as "cittÃ".
Is there a way to fix this?
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #1667
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Perhaps changing font family
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #1668
edmond
Enthusiast

I tried all the font families: it is the first thing I tried (and the only, I must say, because I can't see anything else I could do).
There is no change: the point is that you have a choice on the font, but not on the encoding (and neither the dimension).

The question is completely different when you read an ebook: there you can choose the font (and a lot more, with respect to system fonts), encoding and dimension. Epubs are displayed correctly.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #1669
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle(all), Nook, Sony, Onyx Boox, iPad 2
@edmon
Do you have the correct language in settings?
It works properly on my M92 in Spanish, no matter which font I choose...
PremaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #1670
edmond
Enthusiast

@premaebooks

Yes, I do: mine is setted to italian.
I also tried now different languages and the result is the same.
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #1671
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
@premaebooks

Yes, I do: mine is setted to italian.
I also tried now different languages and the result is the same.

No idea then. If you have UTF-8 and Italian setted... it should be working.
Have you updated the device?
I have the last update running, and everything works properly. In fact I checked before answering you

And I also have been playing in the past with OTFM, so that has nothing to do with your problem...

Wait a little for Booxtor to see the post. He's very busy now with M96 and T68, but sure he will answer your question ASAP
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #1672
edmond
Enthusiast

Yes, I have the latest firmware.

But where do you set utf-8? For the system font I couldn't find such a setting: there is only the font choice and nothing else.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #1673
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremaEbooks View Post
@edmon
Do you have the correct language in settings?
It works properly on my M92 in Spanish, no matter which font I choose...
There are some font families that have problems with accented characters as those in Spanish, French, Italian ... at least in Coolreader and Fbreader (not applicable to Pdfreader as you can't choose font there)
So I suppose it could be the same in system menu
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #1674
PremaEbooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
Yes, I have the latest firmware.

But where do you set utf-8? For the system font I couldn't find such a setting: there is only the font choice and nothing else.
No, no... you're right, you can only set UTF-8 when you are reading the book.
The only thing left is that the ebook is not set to UTF-8, but that's part of the inner code.
Even when I change the encoding in an open ebook, going back to my library the title shows properly. And that's because the ebook is UTF-8 encoded.

It happens with all your ebooks, or with one in particular?
If you have your language set to Italian (or any Latin-1) and the last update I am out of ideas of where the problem could be...

Are you sure you have tried all the fonts that come with the update. Because I've tired a lot of them and in my M92 everything shows properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
There are some font families that have problems with accented characters as those in Spanish, French, Italian ... at least in Coolreader and Fbreader (not applicable to Pdfreader as you can't choose font there)
So I suppose it could be the same in system menu
But that would only affect the content or the icons' name not the ebook's name.
If it happens no matter what font he chooses, is a problem related to ebook encoding, not related to the content or the language chosen.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:15 AM   #1675
edmond
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremaEbooks View Post
The only thing left is that the ebook is not set to UTF-8, but that's part of the inner code.
I guess so, but I have not idea about how to change it.
Quote:
Even when I change the encoding in an open ebook, going back to my library the title shows properly. And that's because the ebook is UTF-8 encoded.

It happens with all your ebooks, or with one in particular?
It happens with both: the M92 and the C65 AG
Quote:
If you have your language set to Italian (or any Latin-1) and the last update I am out of ideas of where the problem could be...

Are you sure you have tried all the fonts that come with the update. Because I've tired a lot of them and in my M92 everything shows properly...
I have tried with all the available fonts
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #1676
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
If the standard menu is correct for any font, this is normal.
If you read a book and you have a font problem, try to use PDFReader to see if the result is the same. I've this problem with some books where the font is defined in the file but isn't present in the M92. I remove the reference to the font in the "*.css" file.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #1677
edmond
Enthusiast

Ok, I solved the problem.

Here is what happened: I considered that I was the only one with this problem and, moreover, I had it with both of my devices.
The conclusion follows: the problem must be somewhere in my environment.

To make the long story short, I realized that the problem is in the way I transfer files from my pc to the boox. More precisely, since I use linux on my pc, I realized that the problem was in the way I mounted the boox on my pc: it was enough to pass "utf8" as a mount option to solve te problem!

The irony, in all of this, is that also the boox is run by linux but it communicates with the pc via a vfat filesystem!

Anyway, thank yours feedbacks have been precious, since they allowed me to focus the point: thank you.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1678
PremaEbooks
Zealot

Good to know!!!
I only use Windows an Mac computers.
But I was sure it was something related to UTF-8 encoding.
I build ebooks for a living, so I knew it had to do with encoding...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #1679
tarquinius
tarquinius began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heawe View Post
I am not able to update to this update.

Tried the usual Update steps here
http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads

1. Download the firmware in zip format and copy it to an empty SD card (No need to unzip the firmware, the name of the firmware should be update-2012xxxx.zip)
2. Turn the device off. If you are not sure if the device is power off, please press “reset” button at the back side of the device
If I Release both buttons the M92 boots the system without any information about successful update and if I check the firmware version it's still the old
Hello!

I have the same problem as Heawe. I tried both of two method (first release the OK button, and the other method: first release the POWER button), but it happens nothing.
Software version: 1.8 20121224 (Hungarian)

What can I do? Please help me!
tarquinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #1680
Alf77
Enthusiast
Alf77 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 & M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanonano View Post
Hi booxtor,
yes the device doesn't remember it and to have opened it neither.
[...]
Thank you very much,
nanonano
I had tuill yesterday the same problem. Probably your /root is full (only 32 MB!!), if you read a lot or scribble a lot (like me) you can go and full it at some point.

Try to delete some scribbles or notes.

alf
Alf77 is offline   Reply With Quote