Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
What e-books do you have pre-ordered?

01/23/12 What it Was - George Pelecanos $0.99
02/07/12 Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp) - Vince Flynn $14.99
03/07/12 Point and Shoot - Duane Swierczynski $9.99
03/20/12 Tough Shit: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good - Kevin Smith $11.99

Last edited by Quake1028; 01-04-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: updated list
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
After reading Good Neighbors, by Ryan David Jahn, I decided to preorder his new book, The Dispatcher, which will be published December 27.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
None. I don't do pre-ordering, especially not for virtual goods.

Besides, I'm trying to buy as few books as possible this year
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ordered and expect to see on my Kindle tomorrow: Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1, by Julia Child

I've been reading As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto and it has inspired me again to go back to Julia on French cooking. I'm still in awe of this seminal work, and the efforts it took to make it happen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yikes. $20? That's my whole monthly allowance for books.

In Canada, 11/22/63 is $22.78 for the kindle edition and $18.41 for the hardcover. As much as I like the e-reader I'd save $4.37 plus get a couple of bucks for it used almost snagging me a usual $10 book for the kindle.

I haven't pre-ordered anything yet. What's the best way to find out pre-order deals?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm a huge Haruki Murakami fan, and his IQ84 is due out as an ebook, in English, (from Amazon) on October 25, at only $14.99.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ordered and expect to see on my Kindle tomorrow: Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1, by Julia Child
Ohh.. Thank you for this. I'm a huge fan of Julia Child and I don't know how many times I've considered the paper edition of this book and passed it up. $20 is probably about the most I've ever paid for an ebook, but in my mind it's worth it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tamora Pierce - Mastiff (The Legend of Beka Cooper #3)

I have all her other books (although in paperback), so this is a must buy for me.

Actually I wasn't sure whether to buy the paperback (for the sake of a complete bookshelf) or ebook version here... in the end I decided for the ebook version since in the long run I expect my entire paper-based library to either go digital or end up in a packing case somewhere.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I don't understand pre-ordering ebooks. It's not like your bookstore is going to run out of the ebook.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I have these pre-ordered because I'm very forgetful, and would probably not realize until a week after that they came out if I didn't have them ordered. And they will just magically download to my iPad so I will be able to read the next day at work. Not really a big deal, but since Amazon doesn't charge until release date anyway, it doesn't hurt anything that I can see.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ohh.. Thank you for this. I'm a huge fan of Julia Child and I don't know how many times I've considered the paper edition of this book and passed it up. $20 is probably about the most I've ever paid for an ebook, but in my mind it's worth it.
It's a hefty price, for sure. But I'd much rather have it on my Kindle than in a hardback for reading. When it's time to actually cook from it, I'll pull out my old copy. But that's way too big and bulky for reading.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Tamora Pierce - Mastiff (The Legend of Beka Cooper #3)

I have all her other books (although in paperback), so this is a must buy for me.

Actually I wasn't sure whether to buy the paperback (for the sake of a complete bookshelf) or ebook version here... in the end I decided for the ebook version since in the long run I expect my entire paper-based library to either go digital or end up in a packing case somewhere.
I got annoyed with the ebook price set on one of her books by her publisher and have avoided her since. I suppose I should go look, though...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I don't understand pre-ordering ebooks. It's not like your bookstore is going to run out of the ebook.
It's the same with preordering anything else really. Stores usually don't run out of most other types of products either. I also preordered the new Wii Zelda even though I'm sure there'll be ample supply.

The point is you get it as soon as its out. In case of Kindle on Android there might even be a notification message popup involved if you leave the Kindle app running (better not to though at least on my phone it sucks the battery dry if I do). In lack of that Amazon might be kind enough to remind you by email.

And since it's unlikely to see a price drop for an ebook soon after release, there's no downside to it. And I for one prefer to buy the books I want to read rather than wait 2 years and hope for a special offer that may never come.

Quote:
I got annoyed with the ebook price set on one of her books by her publisher and have avoided her since. I suppose I should go look, though...
Yes, I also think that ebooks should be a bit cheaper. However in this case I'd probably have bought it if it was $50 - no reason, except it's an addiction. I have to have that book. No way around it.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-04-2011 at 02:06 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Right now? Only Day by Day Armageddon - Shattered Hourglass, and Survivors (3rd entry in the Morningstar Strain Saga).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
None, because the Sony store doesn't offer pre-order. However, I check Amazon to see when a book by a favorite author is going to be released, then I write down in my calender and try to budget for it.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote