Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #61
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunged View Post
Gizmodo says iBooks uses ePub!

Now that is interesting.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #62
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Hence why I said 'meh' for 10 hours. If this was a proper laptop or even a netbook 10 hours would be great, but it's not. It doesn't do anything I want or need, so it's 'meh' to me. My eink reader is 6 inch, I can drop it into my pocket and it does what I need it to do. My laptop is 11inch, it does web browsing, video, word processing and all the rest and I get 4 hours from it (which is enough for that device and how I use it). Again, this is 'Mobileread', not moible-everything-else.

Jeez.
Im confused is this site now mobile-post-in a-topic-you-have-no-interst-and-be-negative-about-a product-that-isnt-what-you-want-for-no-obvious-reason.com?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #63
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Again, this is 'Mobileread', not moible-everything-else.
I'll repeat this here, since it probably got lost on the last page.

This is Mobileread.com. Not e-ink.com. Any device that can display e-books is relevant to discuss here (see the forums on smartphones and PDAs etc. You e-ink fanbois really are a pain in the arse.

Some just read novels and don't need more than e-ink. Others want to read magazines, academic works etc. that need a big color screen--and aren't comfortable to read on a laptop/netbook. Others need that and want a device that doesn't other stuff as they want to do more than just read (and don't need a laptop/netbook).

Plenty of room for all this stuff on the market, and plenty of room for discussion of any type of devices that can one can do e-reading on on this site.

People who don't have interest in tablets should stay out of tablet threads.

Again, I think tablets just need their own sub-forum here like PDAs and smarthphones have so the e-ink loyalists/avid readers quit thread crapping in every discussion of tablets.

And then hopefully the tablet people will quit posting crap about the "death of e-ink" as well. There's plenty of room for tablets and dedicated readers (and all other kinds of gadgets that one can read on) and there should be plenty of room for discussion of them on this site without every tablet thread falling into the same tired arguments between the avid readers and the multi-taskers.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #64
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Amazon's done a great job of pioneering this functionality with the Kindle, and we're going to stand on their shoulders
Well that's one way of putting it... I'm sure Jeff Bezos would use a different turn of phrase.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #65
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im confused is this site now mobile-post-in a-topic-you-have-no-interst-and-be-negative-about-a product-that-isnt-what-you-want-for-no-obvious-reason.com?
I said it was 'meh' and you jumped down my throat with wild assumptions on my position. I still think it's 'meh' whatever you say. It doesn't fit my need or want, and I have an opinion on that. The reason is that I'm giving a reaction to the product announcement, not everyone can kiss the feet of Steve.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #66
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'm glad they chose ePub. I just hope they let you read your own books and not just ones you buy from them.
not an issue remember! Stanza already work on the iPad so you can read anything in epub.

Calibre + Stanza app + iPad = pretty cool reading device.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #67
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
maybe this will "encourage" amazon to make the kindle use epub
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #68
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'll repeat this here, since it probably got lost on the last page.

This is Mobileread.com. Not e-ink.com. Any device that can display e-books is relevant to discuss here (see the forums on smartphones and PDAs etc. You e-ink fanbois really are a pain in the arse.

Some just read novels and don't need more than e-ink. Others want to read magazines, academic works etc. that need a big color screen--and aren't comfortable to read on a laptop/netbook. Others need that and want a device that doesn't other stuff as they want to do more than just read (and don't need a laptop/netbook).

Plenty of room for all this stuff on the market, and plenty of room for discussion of any type of devices that can one can do e-reading on on this site.

People who don't have interest in tablets should stay out of tablet threads.

Again, I think tablets just need their own sub-forum here like PDAs and smarthphones have so the e-ink loyalists/avid readers quit thread crapping in every discussion of tablets.

And then hopefully the tablet people will quit posting crap about the "death of e-ink" as well. There's plenty of room for tablets and dedicated readers (and all other kinds of gadgets that one can read on) and there should be plenty of room for discussion of them on this site without every tablet thread falling into the same tired arguments between the avid readers and the multi-taskers.
I have a lot of interest in tablets, I've used them plenty of times in the past, and I like them. I was hoping this one would be a revolution, but I'm just unimpressed with the implementation of it and design. Jesus, it's like I insulted someone's God or something by saying I don't like the look of this thing or that the battery life isn't good enough.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #69
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
The native format is ePub.... awesome! This may put ePub over the top as the standard....
Yes, this is very good news for everyone. I was fearing they'd launch using a tweaked version of iTunesLP which would wreak yet more format-madness. Apple deserves praise for seeing the light on this.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #70
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I must admit, I am interested. If it TRULY gets 10 hours battery life, and the price is not too extreme.... it just might seduce me.
Whoa!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #71
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
not an issue remember! Stanza already work on the iPad so you can read anything in epub.

Calibre + Stanza app + iPad = pretty cool reading device.
If they allow it. I'm worried they'll remove it on the grounds that it duplicates functionality as they've done with other apps.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #72
Hobohodou
not such a "badguy" =/
Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Bebook + Zune HD
Never been one for apple devices, Other than the ebook feature...this seems completely useless IMO, does all the same as an Ipod touch so far...and even then...That's not saying much...

Device just seems too ugly for me, but hey, finally a colour screen for people(or at least a large company using one)...gotta at least give them credit for that...
Hobohodou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #73
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
I said it was 'meh' and you jumped down my throat with wild assumptions on my position. I still think it's 'meh' whatever you say. It doesn't fit my need or want, and I have an opinion on that. The reason is that I'm giving a reaction to the product announcement, not everyone can kiss the feet of Steve.
you said the battery life was meh and then referred to the battery life of a completely different device being better.

irrelevant and pointless comments really.

If your genuinely now decided that it isnt for you then fine I dont mind taht and i get that you dont think it suits you, as you dont want a tablet device anyway.

I guess you dont need to keep posting in here, apologies if I offended you I just though it was a silly post.

anyway this is going nowhere so... Im Out.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #74
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobohodou View Post
Never been one for apple devices, Other than the ebook feature...this seems completely useless IMO, does all the same as an Ipod touch so far...and even then...That's not saying much...

Device just seems too ugly for me, but hey, finally a colour screen for people(or at least a large company using one)...gotta at least give them credit for that...
You are right... it is just a large iPod Touch running a new OS... Maybe the new iPhone/iTouch 4.0?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #75
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Same with the Kindle App but I am more willing to bet that they'll leave the Kindle App because it's nowhere near as bright and shiny as iBooks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote