Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS-600 in a PRS-T1 Box

A few days ago I got an email from the Sony Online Store with a discount on Sony Reader accessories.

Last year when Target was selling their T1's for half price I picked one up. I figured my 505 was not going to last much longer and wanted a backup.

After I got the email from Sony I decided to give the new T1 a spin and I ordered a cover & got a free charger. They arrived today and I must admit I was a bit excited. I dragged out the bag with the T1 and opened the box. I then tore into the shipping box with my new cover and charger.

I got the T1 out of the box and tried to place it in the cover but it wouldn't fit. All the time I'm thinking this reader feels heavier than my 505. Isn't the T1 supposed to lighter? Then I realized this has holes? on the left hand side (top and bottom) like the 505 to hook it into the cover. I started examining my new PRS-T1 a bit more and realized there were several things that just didn't add up. Discovered on the back it says PRS-600!

I can't believe this is a factory screw-up. Do you think someone bought the T1 and traded it for their 600? I think it's too late to return to the store. I sent an email to Sony Support. But what can they do?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Is the PRS-600 a good reader?

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
A PRS-650 is a better reader. The e-ink on the 650 and the T1 are very similar. The 600's ink is lighter and light bounces off the screen a lot (I know ... I still have the 600 and the 650 and my 500 somewhere in my house). Okay... Hmm... so Target had a 600 jammed in a T1 box? I didn't think it was possible since the T1 is thinner than the 600.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
A PRS-650 is a better reader. The e-ink on the 650 and the T1 are very similar. The 600's ink is lighter and light bounces off the screen a lot (I know ... I still have the 600 and the 650 and my 500 somewhere in my house). Okay... Hmm... so Target had a 600 jammed in a T1 box? I didn't think it was possible since the T1 is thinner than the 600.
It definitely says PRS-600 on the back.

Sony told me to take it back where I bought it from.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I would say somebody "upgraded" at Target's [and now your] expense...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you can't get satisfaction with the physical Target store, try writing a (friendly) letter/email to Target corporate.

I bought the Lord of the Rings special edition DVDs as they were being released, but I never opened them until the last movie was released. I wanted to watch them one after the other.

So it was something like a year later that I opened the Two Towers, and realized that both the included DVDs were the same one. I was missing the true 2nd DVD.

I wrote an email to someone in the publicity department for the movie (can't remember off the top of my head who produced the DVDs and I'm at work and can't check) admitting what I'd done and why, and they offered to replace it for me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, and you might actually get the person at Target who cares what the customer thinks!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I would say somebody "upgraded" at Target's [and now your] expense...
I believe you are correct. I had left the cardboard picture of books on the front until after I got it in the cover (which of course didn't work). When I finally took the cardboard off the front I discovered a very bad screen. The cord in the box won't even work with the reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
If you can't get satisfaction with the physical Target store, try writing a (friendly) letter/email to Target corporate.

I bought the Lord of the Rings special edition DVDs as they were being released, but I never opened them until the last movie was released. I wanted to watch them one after the other.

So it was something like a year later that I opened the Two Towers, and realized that both the included DVDs were the same one. I was missing the true 2nd DVD.

I wrote an email to someone in the publicity department for the movie (can't remember off the top of my head who produced the DVDs and I'm at work and can't check) admitting what I'd done and why, and they offered to replace it for me.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to try, and you might actually get the person at Target who cares what the customer thinks!
I sent an email to Target "Returns" I believe and of course they told me returns are accepted for 90 days.

I'll see if I can find a Corporate email.

This whole thing makes me feel vandalized and heartsick.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I'm sorry to say that this is entirely your fault and to be honest I don't think you stand much of a chance getting it replaced.

Given the time that has elapsed since you bought it Target have every right in saying that you should have checked to make sure all was OK before now. Who knows it may well have actually been a T1 but it might have been faulty.

Also I would not take a lot of notice of what FizzyWater said as there is a significant difference between replacing one disc of a DVD set - that could actually be shown to be wrong as its unlikely that anyone would have two copies of just one disc on purpose - and exchanging a reader costing $100 or more.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I once had a problem like this with a small pharmacy item, where I got home and discovered someone had put a less expensive item in the box - I assume they had switched boxes with the more expensive item I was trying to buy. I took it back the next day and returned it. But I think you would have to be awfully lucky to get someone at Target to believe it after all this time. (I'm not saying I don't believe you - just that Target may not.)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry for your getting cheated. But 90-days is a lot longer then most stores give you for a return. Target is not responsible for your not opening after the 90-day period. I do hope corporate will help (if you can get a hold of them). Good luck.

Oh, one thing to try is to call customer support and ask immediately for a supervisor as this is an issue beyond plebe level.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I'm sorry to say that this is entirely your fault and to be honest I don't think you stand much of a chance getting it replaced.

Given the time that has elapsed since you bought it Target have every right in saying that you should have checked to make sure all was OK before now. Who knows it may well have actually been a T1 but it might have been faulty.

Also I would not take a lot of notice of what FizzyWater said as there is a significant difference between replacing one disc of a DVD set - that could actually be shown to be wrong as its unlikely that anyone would have two copies of just one disc on purpose - and exchanging a reader costing $100 or more.
It is my fault for not checking it to begin with...but Targets fault for not verifying the correct item was in the package upon return.

I figure I won't get my money back.

In regards to FizzyWaters comments-I agree no comparison really. (Sorry, FizzyWater).
Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I once had a problem like this with a small pharmacy item, where I got home and discovered someone had put a less expensive item in the box - I assume they had switched boxes with the more expensive item I was trying to buy. I took it back the next day and returned it. But I think you would have to be awfully lucky to get someone at Target to believe it after all this time. (I'm not saying I don't believe you - just that Target may not.)
I had a similar problem at a pharmacy and while trying to straighten it out they made me feel I was stealing from them. Yea, right, for a $2.50 bottle of shampoo. I don't shop at that pharmacy anymore.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
goldilocks
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry for your getting cheated. But 90-days is a lot longer then most stores give you for a return. Target is not responsible for your not opening after the 90-day period. I do hope corporate will help (if you can get a hold of them). Good luck.

Oh, one thing to try is to call customer support and ask immediately for a supervisor as this is an issue beyond plebe level.
As I said above: It is my fault for not checking it to begin with...but Targets fault for not verifying the correct item was in the package upon return.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
goldilocks
Addict

Just wanted to add I charged up the 600 and attached to my computer. The previous owner left a few books (no I didn't copy them). But in an xml file I found the users path="C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx/My Documents/My Books/Reader Library/
and owner ID which I emailed to Sony.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd be interested to find out what Sony does with this owner ID.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
Goldilocks:

I've had a similar experience at Wally-World. I now never leave a store with a major purchase without opening the box.

I would try going to the Target where you made the purchase and talk to a manager. If they can't help you, ask for their supervisor/higher-up.

You may also want to take a look at this:

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/ho...l-carpet-bomb/

and if you need to take it to the next level:

http://consumerist.com/2008/06/17/ta...-phone-number/

Hope this helps!

PS- The Consumerist is a great pro-consumer blog (and were recently bought by Consumer Reports).
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote