Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Thetaeta
Thetaeta began at the beginning.

Device: None
a few questions

Hi

I'm thinking about buying an ebook reader.

I have known about the Iliad for a while, the Hanlin V3, Cybook etc. were new to me.

Just a few first questions:

Which of the devices allow the user to upload and use his own fonts?

Is page turning really *that* slow? I have seen a video at Youtube that really surprised me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdlPHxPNw-Y

For example, a click in the menu at 1:19. Reaction and completion of new page at 1:26.

Is booting the Iliad really *that* slow? (the same video, at the beginning)

I don't need extreme battery time, although I'm a bit skeptical about battery life before it has to be replaced. Any experiences?

Thanks
Thetaeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Bookeen Cybook allows you to load any True Type Font and to interactively choose any of 10 sizes of the font. Sony (both the 500 & 505) allows you to select from small, medium & large. Not as nice, IMO, as the Cybook. For me this is enough reason to go with the Cybook because peoples eyes are different and a font that is easy for you to read might not be for me.

Page turning is slow but only about as slow as a leisurely turn of the page on a pbook. Neither one takes 5 minutes to turn a page, only several seconds.

In addition the Cybook has dictionary lookup capability.

There is a "Delete" button on the Cybook but they have not yet implemented it with their software. You have to connect to a computer to delete ebooks from it. I understand that the Sony PRS-505 has delete capabilities now on the reader.

No knowledge on the Iliad, H3, or Kindle.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Bookeen Cybook allows you to load any True Type Font and to interactively choose any of 10 sizes of the font. Sony (both the 500 & 505) allows you to select from small, medium & large. Not as nice, IMO, as the Cybook. For me this is enough reason to go with the Cybook because peoples eyes are different and a font that is easy for you to read might not be for me.

Page turning is slow but only about as slow as a leisurely turn of the page on a pbook. Neither one takes 5 minutes to turn a page, only several seconds.

In addition the Cybook has dictionary lookup capability.

There is a "Delete" button on the Cybook but they have not yet implemented it with their software. You have to connect to a computer to delete ebooks from it. I understand that the Sony PRS-505 has delete capabilities now on the reader.

No knowledge on the Iliad, H3, or Kindle.

I don't think the Kindle allows you to upload additional fonts. Does have a dictionary, and you can delete books on the book itself (no need for a connection to a computer). Page turns seem fast to me ... maybe 2 seconds. Boot is a little slow, but not awful, and I seldom turn my unit off, so I don't go through boot that often.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetaeta View Post
Hi

I'm thinking about buying an ebook reader.

I have known about the Iliad for a while, the Hanlin V3, Cybook etc. were new to me.

Just a few first questions:

Which of the devices allow the user to upload and use his own fonts?

Is page turning really *that* slow? I have seen a video at Youtube that really surprised me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdlPHxPNw-Y

For example, a click in the menu at 1:19. Reaction and completion of new page at 1:26.

Is booting the Iliad really *that* slow? (the same video, at the beginning)

I don't need extreme battery time, although I'm a bit skeptical about battery life before it has to be replaced. Any experiences?

Thanks
The actual transition to a new page in current e-ink models is one second or a bit less, it isn't that long and you get used to blinking fairly fast. Append to that the time that the device requires to wake up from standby state, another second about; again you learn to press the [next page] button moments before you reach the end of current page.

The rest are device specific. For the Hanlin/lbook/bebook/etc boot time is about 10 seconds with the current firmware and battery life lasts 2 weeks or more if the device is always on and read 300-400 pages per day. And supports user fonts/size, of course.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V3 is very good after I compared the devices in each brand. It does run very fast. I have ordered one already, it is on the way to my home now!
Hanlin V3 is my best choise, and it is becoming the most famous ebook reader. I hope you will be choosing your best one as well.
Thank you!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote