Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #241
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I also rate mine a 9 out of 10. I no longer have to rely on covers with built in lights (which do not have any lighting at all on the bottom). The fonts are greatly improved and look better than the ones on my KT. So far so good with my new Paperwhite
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #242
fosssil
fosssil began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glolight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Does this "bluish-grey splotch" show up in pictures? I'm interested to see what this looks like. Also as I've learned, it's usually not good to be on the first wave of shipped products for some defects such as this. Being an international customer where I can't even order the paperwhite yet has forced me to wait. Hopefully if these are just production defects they can get it sorted out with newer constructed units.
I am in the same boat...I was going to order two, but now after reading all "Early adopter " posts, its none until they get things sorted...

The opinion that I have is that the PW is having to drive the 3 LED's way too hard to do a job that Nook Glo with 8 LED's takes in its stride... I have a Nook Glo, and apart from the top inch the light is very even

I was going to purchase the PW's after considering the sum total of how it was presented , but the screen as it presents in real life just fails to deliver...there should be no "making do"...or "I can live with that"...its just not good enough at the moment...I feel they need a version 2...not just the FW, they need a hardware revision, or if there are some PW's that are OK, then better quality control..

The PW as is will damage Kindle's reputation I am sorry to say...

I am very disappointed, as now it appears my wife will be reading her older kindle and me my Nook Glo, right through Christmas and then until the problem gets sorted...I am green with envy no longer...

fosss
fosssil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosssil View Post
I was going to purchase the PW's after considering the sum total of how it was presented , but the screen as it presents in real life just fails to deliver...there should be no "making do"...or "I can live with that"...its just not good enough at the moment...I feel they need a version 2...not just the FW, they need a hardware revision, or if there are some PW's that are OK, then better quality control..

I must respectfully disagree. The pictures I've seen show exactly the type of lighting I'd expect from this technology, and I certainly have no regrets about buying one. It should certainly be at least as good as the lighted cover I currently use with my Kindle Touch.

I don't see it damaging anyone's reputation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #244
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
I am in the same boat...I was going to order two, but now after reading all "Early adopter " posts, its none until they get things sorted...

The opinion that I have is that the PW is having to drive the 3 LED's way too hard to do a job that Nook Glo with 8 LED's takes in its stride... I have a Nook Glo, and apart from the top inch the light is very even

I am very disappointed, as now it appears my wife will be reading her older kindle and me my Nook Glo, right through Christmas and then until the problem gets sorted...I am green with envy no longer...

fosss
I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't plan to buy another reader until mine breaks or becomes obsolete, but here's Engadget's comparison between the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight on the left and the Kindle Paperwhite on the right (both at max brightness).

The Kindle PW's lighting might not be as even as we've been lead to believe, but as far as displays go, it's unquestionably better than the NST (and I actually prefer Nooks on a software level because I'm an Android guy). I've also seen display models of the NST with GlowLight in stores and I was pretty disappointed.

Last edited by AZImmortal; 10-03-2012 at 03:56 AM.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #245
fosssil
fosssil began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glolight
I guess that the good thing about a forum...every member can have an opinion...and as said..mine is said after reading the disappointment that real day to day users are not happy...I would have bought 2 PWs, but because of the fairly average reports coming in I will be waiting for either an improvent via FW or a new version...for once I am not an early adopter...

Perhaps it is true that the patches might not be noticed after a while... I hope thats the situation...i have just been reading with the Glo while walking the dog, as I do every night... its dusk heading to dark as I did so and its dark as I type this, and on thinking back about what I noticed, it was nothing but a lighted screen...I did not remember noticing the brighter 1/2 - 3/4 inch (I have measured it after saying one inch) and if its similar for PW users, then I might reconsider...
fosss
fosssil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #246
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way it is supposed to work is that if there is room on the line, then the word gets split after the dash. So it would be red- at the end of the line and not red--. red-- is incorrect. red- is correct.
Hardware Kindles don't do hyphenation. Which IMO is annoying for English but terrible for languages like German.

They do some kind of pseudo justification but if the space between words gets too large, the line gets left-aligned and you get a big fat hole on the right side.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #247
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I
fosss
I don't see how.

I've seen a few people, including Jack, where light is uneven, specially the bottom. But we are not talking about having a piece of junk or a seriously defective unit.

Mine has that uneven zone, like 3 or 4 spots on the bottom, but I can barely noticing.

I am not justifying Amazon. I did not buy my previous Kindle Touch until 6 months later, when they finally fixed or provided the landscape mode. But on this one, they did a decent job, in my opinion.

The add-on light on covers you can find for previous model are nothing to compare. And Kindle PW illuminates the screen way more better than Nook Glow, at least based on what I've seen.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #248
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I spent the night reading and then some more reading this morning.

I do see the splotches on the screen. My eyes almost see it as a pinkish color in the upper center of the screen. Then of course there are the blotches on the bottom.

The contrast is very good. I find I need to keep the light up almost all the way to have a white screen.

The touch screen is very responsive and I like it! I never liked a touch screen and always wanted page turn buttons.

I like the case a lot. I have the special offers, so when I open the case, I do need to swipe it to open to my book (just like iPad & Nook). I've read if you have no special offers, it opens directly to the book instead with no need to swipe.

It feels a bit heavy to me. I'm not sure if it's the Kindle itself or the case. I held the nook in it's case and the pw in it's case and the nook is lighter. The cheapo K4 is way lighter than the pw. But I can still turn pages with one hand without any effort, so the weight is not an issue.

I don't care for the home page. It only shows 3 of my books on the upper part of the screen. The other parts show Kindle singes and then the lower part the special offer. I'd prefer to have just my books on the home page. I'm not sure you can even change the home page or not. I've never been one to organize my readers and I won't with this either. I usually only keep a dozen or so books on it at a time.

I haven't tried changing fonts yet or syncing. I heard syncing is a problem right now. I'm sure that will be rectified quickly.

I am not one that is overly critical or expecting too much. I was expecting a whiter page based on the reviews and pictures I've seen of the pw. Mine is nowhere as white as any of the pictures I've seen since they announced it. While slightly whiter than my Nook Glo, it doesn't blow it away by being so much whiter. I was also expecting more even light on the screen based on what I've read and seen before getting mine in my hand.

I'm still debating if I should call Amazon for an exchange. I could deal with it this way, but I keep reading of others that have a more even lighted screen only have some blotches on the bottom and that's it. Makes me want one with no blotches except for the bottom.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #249
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Everyone seems to be having different experiences but compared the my Touch, the PW has darker text and roughly the same background. Resolution is very obviously better, hi h is something that always bothered me on previous models.

As far the light source being evident, this really shouldn't surprise anyone. Have you ever used a clip on book light? This is much better than that. If you want a seamless lighting experience you'll have to go with a backlit LCD reader, that's all there is to it.
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #250
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
I don't care for the home page. It only shows 3 of my books on the upper part of the screen. The other parts show Kindle singes and then the lower part the special offer. I'd prefer to have just my books on the home page. I'm not sure you can even change the home page or not.
From the home page, click the three bars that represent the Menu button (top right corner), then change to List View. Made all the difference for me. The tech is still too slow for cover view if you have a large collection (or are impatient like me). You can do this on both "Device" and "Cloud" mode.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #251
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
From the home page, click the three bars that represent the Menu button (top right corner), then change to List View. Made all the difference for me. The tech is still too slow for cover view if you have a large collection (or are impatient like me). You can do this on both "Device" and "Cloud" mode.
Yay, thanks! Made a huge difference!!
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #252
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My final review

My review, after a few hours of usage ...

You can also find it on Amazon, online. Feel free to vote for it there if you find it useful:

Ok, I will be brief ... most of you guys know what a Kindle is, what is not, or still hold previous editions...

In terms of contrast and legibility, the Kindle PW delivers on its promise. I used it yesterday and read for over an hour. The fonts are crisp and nice, and I can notice how clear they look compared to my Kindle Touch 3G.

It feels more solid and elegant than previous model. And while more personal than anything else, I think black is a more suitable color for the Kindle. It looks really elegant.

The edges are kind of narrow though. I am a man with thin thumbs and fingers, so I kind of find the edges too narrow for my taste. It's not that it's horrible or difficulties the reading experience, but being latin and not a big person, I can't imagine an average american man with big hands holding it. On this regard, I believe Nook Glow has a better design. However, and I can be wrong, ereaders users are more women than men, so this can or cannot be a big deal, depending of your gender and hands size.

The screen response well. Of course is not an LCD display or tablet, but it's fast enough for current eink technology. It feels faster than my Kindle Touch 3G but I have not measured that in a scientific way.

I miss the "home" button on the bottom. Now you have to use the on screen top menu. Not too bad. I guess is a matter of usage. Not sure if was removed in order to reduce cost or to make the "touch" screen experience more immerse and complete.

Now... the famous on screen light! :-) ... you know what? it looks ok! ... it looks even on 90% of the screen. Compared to add-on light cases, this is fantastic. Already integrated on the device and even on most of the screen. In my opinion, way more better than Nook Glow. However, mine has few light spots on the bottom; if I look carefully, I can see the light source on 3 to 4 points. It is not very noticeable on mine, but it's there and not what was shown on ads or during press conference.

Bottom line: I like mine. I will keep it. I think that having integrated light without affecting battery life too much and looking even on 90% or more of the screen is a great improvement. However, I am planning to exchange mine and see if new batches do not come with those small spots of light. But to me, not a big deal. I would suggest to wait before buying one or check in Best Buy or whatever store in a few weeks, some people may find that disturbing. But again, not a big deal to me.

I believe this is the best eink reader on the market right now, better than Nook Glow and even Sony, thanks to the 3G, integrated light and overall features, like whispersync and screen contrast.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3GD1AY...ELPFULVOTE_prd
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #253
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Cancelled mine

After reading the whole thread I cancelled my order and will stick to my PRS-650 for the time being. Maybe the next gen Sony will do a better job.

Thanks for all your comments and reviews!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #254
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
As of now, of 32 users voting in a poll, only 59% are fully satisfied with the PW screen per this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pol...ts&pollid=1479

My PW is due Oct 11 and now is labeled "Shipping Soon." I'll try it and, if dissatisfied, will call Amazon CS and request a replacement. I'll use it for at least a week before doing that since one user on the Amazon Forum said the first iPads had the same problem due to glue taking a week to dry between the screens on early deliveries. After that week the iPad displays were just fine.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-03-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Update poll results
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #255
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Sounds like the real problem here is that Amazon overpromised. The name "Paperwhite" and all the advertising they did before launch really set up the expectation that you would see a perfectly evenly lit, nearly white screen. The fact that it isn't that is a disappointment to a lot of users. If they had played it a bit more low key, the way Nook did, (i.e., "It's a Kindle, only better now because it has integrated lighting!"), I bet people would be much more positive in their reviews.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote