Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But how well does it display ePub eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But how well does it display ePub eBooks?
I'm not sure what you mean by "well". It displays them. It manages most formatting but not that using span and class. Other than that its as good as any other and better than most.

[edit] I still don't want to use Bluefire :P
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Thanks for all the info on this. Being able to connect to Calibre and have most of the features of Stanza definitely has my interest. I'll try this one out.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for this thread! enlightening!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
HPG
Enthusiast
HPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Android phone
Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Shubook SE to do with the day/night control? I'm finding that if I go from day (black text on white ground) to night (vice versa), and then back again, the formerly black text is a very faint grey. I have to re-launch the app to get it black again. I've reported it using the "contact customer support" feature, but not had any reply.
HPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPG View Post
Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Shubook SE to do with the day/night control? I'm finding that if I go from day (black text on white ground) to night (vice versa), and then back again, the formerly black text is a very faint grey. I have to re-launch the app to get it black again. I've reported it using the "contact customer support" feature, but not had any reply.
I'm not seeing that but I do use custom colors. Very dark maroon text on a light cream background.

Last edited by edbro; 09-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "well". It displays them. It manages most formatting but not that using span and class. Other than that its as good as any other and better than most.

[edit] I still don't want to use Bluefire :P
That's a pretty fatal flaw. Pretty much all formatting in a well-produced ePub book is done using CSS. Displaying the book well is the primary function of any bookreader; things like swiping to change the brightness is just "bells and whistles". It seems to me that the developer has got his priorities seriously mixed up.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-23-2012 at 04:35 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #23
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I've downloaded ShuBook. It was only $1.99 US so I figured why not..

I haven't had time to read the faq, etc, but I do have DropBox on my computer and, so far, I haven't seen how to get books from DropBox into ShuBook. Hope those directions are in the help file somewhere. Any hints?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I've downloaded ShuBook. It was only $1.99 US so I figured why not..

I haven't had time to read the faq, etc, but I do have DropBox on my computer and, so far, I haven't seen how to get books from DropBox into ShuBook. Hope those directions are in the help file somewhere. Any hints?
Download the book in Dropbox on your IOS device then select the sharing icon (box with arrow). There should be an option to send it to Shubook.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok... just played around with it for a bit.... Looking pretty good so far. Was able to get dropbox working with it and got a few books loaded...

Yes, the User setting looks like it will keep the books in the order I load them into the program

Takes 2 taps to get to where it shows the progress in the book but that's do-able.

I'll have to read a few books in it to get the real feel so it does have possibilities.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
Shykat
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Download the book in Dropbox on your IOS device then select the sharing icon (box with arrow). There should be an option to send it to Shubook.
That is how I've been getting books into Apabi but I found that I could do it from WITHIN ShuBook.

At the bottom of the Library screen.

Click Download.
Then the Custom Tab
Then the + in the upper left corner
Add Web Page
Filled in the data for Book Source Name: DropBox
Filled in the url to DropBox
I couldn't figure out where to find the icon address, though.

Once you save everything, it will ask for your log in information so you can log into your DropBox account and you can leave the checkmark in the box so it will remember your login information if you want.

Click on the newly created link on the Custom page and you can get to your Dropbox account.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Shykat
Groupie

So far, I do seem to like this program. I did pay the $1.99 US for it. As I work more with it, there might be things that don't work for me but I'm not a super picky reader... just one who reads loads and loads of books.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
I've just had a look at Shubook, it seems worth the money. Thank you for an useful topic.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #29
Shykat
Groupie

Does anyone know the maximum number of books that ShuBook will hold?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #30
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Does anyone know the maximum number of books that ShuBook will hold?
I would imagine it would only be limited by space available on the device. I'm not sure though. I keep all my books in Dropbox and only download when I'm ready to read.