Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Twain, Mark: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court|-deleted-|03.08.2012

New version is here

Last edited by mmat1; 09-20-2014 at 02:51 AM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for the book.

For what it is worth, an opinion not a criticism, I like to choose my preferred font from the ones available on my reader rather than have the ebook designer choose the font for me.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for the book.

For what it is worth, an opinion not a criticism, I like to choose my preferred font from the ones available on my reader rather than have the ebook designer choose the font for me.
I guess that depends on your reader. What is it ?

On my PB 622 i can change the font. Exceptions are only the Headlines and the small caps. It was in my intention not to change them together with the rest of the text-body.

Should I issue a version without embedded fonts ?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I took the liberty of cleaning the images in the same way as I did for Alex's "The Woman in White". Now the background is pure white, and the size of the images has been reduced to 2.7 MB. Feel free to use them, or not.
Personally, I like to mess around with mildly eccentric fonts and layouts. Especially for a work like this, which is widely available in other (free) epub editions, I think you should feel free to be as creative as you like in terms of layout.
Following on that, I am going to be wildly inconsistent and pick a few personal nits:
  • What about replacing -- with — ?
  • Having captions on illustrations with the caption in the actual image seems like an unecessary and redundant pleonasm.
  • I render text like in List.gif in an image as a last resort. Any particular reason why you've not rendered it as a table?
  • Lastly, I don't think it really works to have a border around illustrations like this, which have a white background and were borderless in the original.
Good work!
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip twain_yankee_img_clean_sbt.zip (2.57 MB, 420 views)

Last edited by SBT; 08-06-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Whoopsie, credited Jellby instead of Alex w. Woman in White....
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I took the liberty of cleaning the images in the same way as I did for Jellby's "The Woman in White".
As always, I like your work with images and I will use them. I learned that Gimp is almost overwhelming and some short pointers, how you did it would be nice.

>>What about replacing -- with — ?
I will have a look on that

>> Having captions on illustrations with the caption in the actual image seems like an unecessary and redundant pleonasm.
At the current size, it would be hard to read embedded captions like this (see attachment), especially on a 6'' device.

>> Any particular reason why you've not rendered it as a table?
the dots ...........................................47,000

>> Lastly, I don't think it really works to have a border around illustrations like this, which have a white background and were borderless in the original.

Now the backgound is clean white, so you're probably right.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp C03.bmp (125.1 KB, 466 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
I get your points, I am often guilty of forgetting those of us with small screens.
I've spent some frustrating hours trying to get those dots into tables, but it doesn't seem like it can be done. I ended up sacrificing the dots instead to keep the table as text. I suppose a (complicated) compromise would be to use svg.

I really should get that wiki page on image cleansing ready. A few hints re. Gimp:
* Colors->Levels to adjust black/white cutoff points
* Filters->Enhancement->Unsharp to improve clarity of ink/line drawings. A value of 0.2-0.4 is normally the best.

However, for a bunch of images such as yours, manually correcting each one is a pain, so I do a batch operation with Imagemagick instead:

Code:
cd Images
mkdir cleansed
for f in *.png
do
convert $f -level 25%,90% -unsharp 0.3x0.3+3+0 cleansed/$f
done
To find the 25%, 90% cutoff points I inspected a couple of the images in Gimp with Colors->Levels first and looked at the histogram.

You can save a few extra bytes by running the images through the pngcrush utility afterwards:

Code:
cd cleansed
mkdir crushed
pngcrush -d crushed *.png
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
I guess that depends on your reader. What is it ?

On my PB 622 i can change the font. Exceptions are only the Headlines and the small caps. It was in my intention not to change them together with the rest of the text-body.

Should I issue a version without embedded fonts ?
Almost all my reading is done with a Sony PRS T1. I haven't been able to change fonts in any ebook which has embedded fonts, and I'm surprised that other ereaders can change fonts on ebooks with embedded fonts.

And yes, I'd appreciate a version without an embedded font.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

I really should get that wiki page on image cleansing ready.
Pretty please? I find that GIMP 2.8 has a nearly vertical learning curve, though I am making very slow progress.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I really should get that wiki page on image cleansing ready. A few hints re. Gimp:
* Colors->Levels to adjust black/white cutoff points
* Filters->Enhancement->Unsharp to improve clarity of ink/line drawings. A value of 0.2-0.4 is normally the best.
First of all, convert the image to gray levels (not RGB, and not indexed). Image->Mode->Grayscale.

Add a black layer. Layer->New Layer...->Foreground color (assuming it's black).

Set the black layer mode to "Burn" in the layers dialog. This makes everything in the underlying layer look black, except pure white pixels.

Now select the bottom layer to make changes on it, not on the black layer. Change color levels, remove speckles (with the eraser tool, or painting white on them), etc. Delete (or disable) the black layer before saving.

PS. Having curly quotes and apostrophes would also be nice.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
mmat1
Berti

Quote:
I really should get that wiki page on image cleansing ready.
I'm eager to see it

Changes to version 1.1:
- your pictures are in
- replaced thousands of " and ' (yes, unfortunately Jellby is right with this)
- repalced -- and - -
- removed the borders

The graphical table is still there, and, of couse, the redundant captions.

@Alex: I embedded another stylesheet without fonts, you can change to it just by renaming the stylesheets (I guess ther's no need to explain you how...)

Btw: shall I translate these Phrases:
“Constantinopolitanischerdudelsackspfeifenmachersg esellschafft!”
??
Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:

@Alex: I embedded another stylesheet without fonts, you can change to it just by renaming the stylesheets (I guess ther's no need to explain you how...)
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Btw: shall I translate these Phrases:
“Constantinopolitanischerdudelsackspfeifenmachersg esellschafft!”
??
No, but maybe you should use an embedded font (fraktur), like here:

Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote