Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #526
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Tubemonkey -Cost wasn't the reason the card slot was left out. Those things are cheap. It was deliberately omitted to force you into the cloud for content and to steer you toward the far more profitable 16GB version.

That $50 price bump between models only set Google back about $7.50 for the additional 8GB. Notice how only the 16GB models are sold in stores? Google's making a tidy profit off that version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
In the end, the missing slot is most probably just an attempt to promote the use of Google play for streaming movies, etc. If they can just get a few 100,000 new customers to their store than this will make more than make up for the numbers of disgruntled non-buyers. And, of course, Google hopes that future tablet designs will follow that lead, multiplying the effect. Let us not forget that many users don't want to bother with workarounds, they will use these devices "as is". A simple business decision, but not good for users, of course.
I don't like workarounds. I can do it, but I have other hobbies. ICS will appear all by itself on my "new" Samsung Tab 7 Plus that my Lady friend uses at least half the time and she might or might not even notice it. One of my boys bought that Tab for me for Christmas and paid maybe 75% too much to get all the bells and whistles and of course I will keep it forever just like a craft gift he made in the boy scouts though I might not carry it around "all the time."

With experience in the new devices building up now, I can say that my ideal is something of a marriage of the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0" and the Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3." That will have the functions of the 7" tablet and be even more portable.

There are a lot of specifications to fool with on those devices, but a $250 WiFi only price is what I am aiming for and I will wait and make do with what I have until one magic day I see it on Amazon.

Still I have to say, that for reading in general, anywhere, anytime, day or night, city or field, mountain or desert, jungle or water, or a mile or so up, my Kindle 3G keyboard is the best I have or have seen.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #527
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
A 5" device seems like a nice compromise at first. But after using it for 2 years all I can say is that I find it too small to function as a tablet. You scroll around on websites all the time or are stuck using mobile websites.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-22-2012 at 09:25 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #528
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That $50 price bump between models only set Google back about $7.50 for the additional 8GB. Notice how only the 16GB models are sold in stores? Google's making a tidy profit off that version.
Those stores offering the 16GB version aren't selling it for free - once they've taken their margin I'd be surprised if there was much profit left for Google. Also explains why the 8GB is only available direct from Google - no margin in it for a retailer.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #529
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Those stores offering the 16GB version aren't selling it for free - once they've taken their margin I'd be surprised if there was much profit left for Google. Also explains why the 8GB is only available direct from Google - no margin in it for a retailer.
Google's strategy is long term, imo. Even short-term though they will make cash on software via GP.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #530
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Google's strategy is long term, imo. Even short-term though they will make cash on software via GP.
Totally agree - it's the classic razor/blade business model, no question; I just can't see how there's a 'tidy profit' in the hardware for Google when it's sold at that price through a third-party right now.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #531
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
The problem with these is that you only have access to them when you are at home -- and then I can just stream from the cloud. And don't tell me you would rather carry around one of these than have a device with an expansion slot in the first place?

And yes, the Nexus offers better specs than most other devices at a reasonable price, but that is how tech works. The new generation always offers better performance for the same money or an even lower price. This just happens to be the latest, wait a few months and it will seem like an old hat.
Not quite.
I'm not too shure about all the models but you can access those devices from anywhere as long as you are in their range. They have their own wifi "router". They're called direct access wifi. They require that you ask permission to join at every connection. Pretty amazing, actually.
Their main caveats are power consumption and the fact that the devices that would benefit of their use will only allow to read data and not write to them.
If, like me you have declared war on wires they are a good device to keep around.

I've also read that the Goflex Satellite is prone to lags, interruptions and crashes. Really not an option unless I'm lost away from civilization and bored to death...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #532
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Not quite.
I'm not too shure about all the models but you can access those devices from anywhere as long as you are in their range. They have their own wifi "router". They're called direct access wifi. They require that you ask permission to join at every connection. Pretty amazing, actually.
Their main caveats are power consumption and the fact that the devices that would benefit of their use will only allow to read data and not write to them.
If, like me you have declared war on wires they are a good device to keep around.

I've also read that the Goflex Satellite is prone to lags, interruptions and crashes. Really not an option unless I'm lost away from civilization and bored to death...
I understood that devices can connect directly to them, not through a router. What I meant is, do you carry them everywhere? And even if you do, this is an expensive solution to a problem we shouldn't have in the first place.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #533
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
I already own two of these. Battery's only good for 4 hours and I've had issues getting it to charge and work as wi-fi hotspot at the same time. Definitely not as convenient as a built-in expansion slot.

For me, the pros for the Nexus 7 (build quality, light weight, screen resolution, responsiveness) outweigh the con (lack of SD card slot). For the price, I do think it delivers amazing value. Just can't help but wish it had a built-in storage expansion slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Oh and lets not forget that memory cards cost money to and try putting in a cheap slow Class 4 card into a tablet and see it crawl along while it accesses large files like video.You will need a good quality Class 10 card.
Those speed class ratings only apply to sustained write speed. Read speeds are generally faster. Besides, a Class 4 card is able to write at 4MB/s (32Mbps). Even Blu-ray bitrate caps out at 40Mbps and I highly doubt you'll be watching lossless 20~35GB Blu-ray rips on the Nexus 7. Transcoded 1080p content should be fine even with a Class 2 card.

Quote:
The problem with these is that you only have access to them when you are at home -- and then I can just stream from the cloud. And don't tell me you would rather carry around one of these than have a device with an expansion slot in the first place?
The devices posted act as a portable wi-fi hotspot/wireless router. You don't need to be at home to access them.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #534
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Aurora shooting - 12 DEAD 59 injured
2012 20th july

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Aurora_shooting

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...-shooting-live

Less than 15 minutes ago as was listening to the internet radio and i was deeply saddened to hear that this slaughter had taken place in Aurora Colorado - USA .
My deepest condolences to all the victim's and victims family's involved.

ZDNET - Jason Perlow
'If you pick up a Nexus 7, I implore you to immediately download Apex Launcher and use it as your default home screen. It'll save you some money on psychotherapy and will definitely keep you from walking into Google's headquarters with a fully automatic weapon.'

when i first read above paragraph yesterday i was instantly enraged because some one had made such a childish as well as belittling statement of such a ACT that no sane person would ever wont to witness in there lives.

It truly saddens me when such people who have access to a large number of readers thinks such comments completely ok to print ,and and mass murder can be used in a joke like phrase.

I HOPE TO GOD that the suffering victims and family's will never have to read such rubbish from fools such as Jason Perlow. i am personally writing to the ZDNET and asking then to ether remove or edit the this foolish statement.

I hope any one else who feels the same way will also contact ZDNET with a complaint.

Back in august 1999 in Charleston west Virginia while i was living in the USA for 2 years i was in a bar one night and i witnessed one of my American friends being gunned down over a moronic fight over who was going to use the pool table next.

I still remember that night like it was yesterday and have at least some experience as to what the victims family's are going through.I truly wish such acts never happen again but i know that will never be the case.

Last edited by darksaber35; 07-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #535
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I understood that devices can connect directly to them, not through a router. What I meant is, do you carry them everywhere? And even if you do, this is an expensive solution to a problem we shouldn't have in the first place.
Well, it's different for everybody but when I need to take a tablet with me it's always in a carrying case with charger, cables and all related paraphernalia. A wifi HDisk will easily fit with all of it.

Still I would, as you, really prefer more onboard storage or SDs to an additional device...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-20-2012 at 09:16 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #536
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Does anyone remember what device had 2 SD cards.

One was inside the battery compartment and the other was on the case.

Or am I confusing 2 SD cards with 2 SIM cards?

I think there have been cases of both.

Anyone?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #537
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Does anyone remember what device had 2 SD cards.

One was inside the battery compartment and the other was on the case.

Or am I confusing 2 SD cards with 2 SIM cards?

I think there have been cases of both.

Anyone?
There are both, 2 SIMs and 2 SDs. I actually don't remember 2 SDs, but rather CF cards on the HP iPaq line.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #538
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
There are both, 2 SIMs and 2 SDs. I actually don't remember 2 SDs, but rather CF cards on the HP iPaq line.
Yes, iPaqs had both a CF and an SD card slot, that's true. I had a number of them over the years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #539
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Yes, I used a company one briefly.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #540
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I've had a couple of days to play with the Nexus 7 8 GB model -- CDN$209 less a $25 store credit at Google Play. Shipping, taxes, extra.

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is pretty slick on this device and, as Android moves through 2, 3 and 4 is it finally coming to a place of seeming "complete". I have a 3.2 tablet and moving to 4.1 on the Nexus is the ice cream on the sandwich ... erm ... with jelly beans on top.

The lightweight, long battery life, high pixel screen and easy access to the Google Play market makes it a very user friendly device for me. I am looking for a light weight colour ereader that gives me access to Kobo, Overdrive and Kindle material as well as web browser, Gmail, Facebook and this fits the bill quite nicely. In the Canadian market, where Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are not sold and the content outside of ebooks is not supported, the Nexus has a lot to offer. As I am almost always witin wifi range when I want to use a device like this, streaming works and the nominal storage meets my needs.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet