Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Oh yes - those knives never wear out!
And how many cars and cans did you cut with them?

I've never ordered anything from TV, but I do have a blender I found out is exactly the same as one they're now showing: the Magic Bullet. I've had it for years...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Oh yes - those knives never wear out!
And of course ideal for cutting ...... beef....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Pooh, you're always one step ahead of me!

I remember buying Ginzu knives (again, at a store). As I recall, the handles were poorly attached to the blades, and one kept coming off. Not recommended, in my experience.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have purchased several items "as seen on TV" but *never* *EVER* by calling a number or ordering from the net. I always waited until the item made it to regular shops. Very few items are genuinely good enough to make it to a regular shop. Most of those wonder products depend on people ordering them without seeing them in person. There is special "as seen on TV" shop in town and the vast majority of products there are ... not the quality I would be willing to use, even for free.
However, I do love watching those shows pushing questionable products.

Over they years I have purchased following wonder products:
- blue magic mop
- "Swedish" microfiber cleaning cloth, such as http://www.microfibersunlimited.com/products.htm . But much cheaper generic version. Fantastic for cleaning an e-ink screen and many, many other things.
- hot air oven (wouldn't buy it again), similar to this one https://www.asseenontv.com/detail.ph...09bbf0faa22348

I would never buy a knife from a TV commercial. I bought a simple chef knife in store where big caterers purchase professional equipment. Ugly, utilitarian, durable, made from a good quality steel. I have very well equipped workshop with several electrical grinders - including a wet stone one, so I can sharpen anything I need.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My wife bought a Tony Little Gazelle. I was shocked when we were able to sell it at a garage sale.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Pooh, you're always one step ahead of me!

I remember buying Ginzu knives (again, at a store). As I recall, the handles were poorly attached to the blades, and one kept coming off. Not recommended, in my experience.
Exactly! The blades last just fine .... the handles fall off .... but then that's one reason to always have a roll of duct tape in the house ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bought one of those little sandwich makers, though not actually off a TV advert. I really wanted a Magic Bullet, but could never convince myself to actually plunk down the money for it.

I'm seriously considering a Yonanas machine.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Recently I bought a friend who is interested in gardening a Topsy Turvy, the thing that hangs and allows tomatoes to grow upside down. It was cheap, something like $5.00 at Big Lots.

Well, it was like buying someone four quarts of oil, and then telling him to buy his own car. The item looked OK, but my friend needed to buy the tomato plant, the soil and the fertilizer. So he gave it a pass, and suggested that I get my money back.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Exactly! The blades last just fine .... the handles fall off .... but then that's one reason to always have a roll of duct tape in the house ...
I used a couple of Ty-wraps recently to fix a broken knife handle, but it wasn't a Ginsu knive. Ty-wraps have an advantage over duct tape in they go through the dishwasher just fine.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I have the Pocket Chair in my laptop bag. It's great for waiting for my ride at the train station.

It's not actually pocket sized, although it is smaller than a standard sheet of paper.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't believe I own any 'As seen on TV' products, but I have been tempted by the Tiddy Bear, especially as the seat belts in those Government trucks I find myself driving all seem to incorporate that patented "Python" technology in which every time you breath out, they tighten up just that much more.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I was given a Magic Bullet last year. It was on sale at Macy's they said and got one for me. I use it to make frozen smoothies, protein drinks and egg salad.

Also, was given Eggies. Tried it once and that was it. You have to grease the inside of the cups. Clean-up was difficult but the eggs did come out nicely hard boiled and in one piece. I dislike peeling eggs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
*blush* I bought a George Foreman grill - and quite liked it!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #29
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Speaking of the devil!

Time Magazine now has on its website "7 As Seen on TV Products That Actually Work".

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/05/30...#as-seen-on-tv
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I was given a Magic Bullet last year. It was on sale at Macy's they said and got one for me. I use it to make frozen smoothies, protein drinks and egg salad....
My wife and I enjoy playing with our Magic Bullet, too.

No, wait. That's our Silver Bullet. I think we're on different wavelengths here.