Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Mobi in Kindle for PC

I don't know if I'm just missing something, but I can't get any non-Amazon mobi files to open in Kindle for PC. I convert from HTML to MOBI via Calibre, and then transfer the created MOBI file to the Kindle folder on my laptop. When I open that file, it opens Kindle for PC, but then the file disappears from the Kindle folder, and never opens in the software.

Is this a new restriction from Amazon, or is there some simple thing I'm not aware of?

EDIT: I just tried to open a Manybooks.net MOBI file, and experienced the same problem.

Last edited by djulian; 03-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
What version are you using? K4PC 1.9.1 was reported to have a glitch where it wouldn't open any non-Amazon-supplied Mobi files, and was hastily replaced with 1.9.2.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ah-that would be the problem. Thank you! (I spent an hour searching and couldn't find this. My Google-Fu is not that strong, apparently.)
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yep. 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 both have the issue. It was fixed in 1.9.2.

Even with the versions that have that issue, you can still manually copy the non-Amazon mobi file to your "My Kindle Content" folder (or wherever you have your library) and you will be able to view the mobi after you open the app.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Well, I wondered what happened to Kindle for PC when all of a sudden it wouldn't open any of my MobiPocket (prc) files! Thanks for the update about the new version of K for PC!
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote