Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It calls me a "spaz"

I had to single that out. There are many and good reasons that no one here trusts Goodereader, but in using a deeply offensive and bigoted term invoking a disabled person as a term of opprobrium, they have achieved a new and disgusting low.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini5, iPad Pro 11, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, PB 6" Color
Well, I had no idea of the rep they seem to have here. Keep in mind, my first message was simply to ask for help in contacting them and I stated there in that first messages that " Their site seems to be a pretty nice store and comes across as run by nice people. I am guessing that this is some sort of foul-up and that I just need to reach someone there directly." Oh, well.

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
OK, PayPal came through for me and the refund was processed. I first received a note from PayPal. Then I received the refund from Goodereader. Then I received a letter from a corporate officer of Goodereader. I would myself characterize it as somewhat personally abusive.It calls me a "spaz" and asked me if I am "a damn child" for spouting "negative crap" about Goodereader and suggests that if I was an "adult" I would simply have rejected the package. And it closes with calling me an "idiot." Maybe he has a point. On the other hand, I still feel that given the lack of immediate and positive response to a near-immediate request for a refund there were few routes open to me. I cannot easily afford to lose $300. I do not think waiting for a nearly $300 package and refusing delivery would have been the way to go. I turned to my friends and community here for help. Perhaps, as this man implies, I did not need the help. Maybe it would have worked itself out on its own. Still, I wish to thank those who did try to help me in the conversation here and to let you all know that this turned out OK for me. (Oh, one other thing. To make sure that I have been fair about all of this I wish to clarify my message about having been erased from their site. Turns out that back email showed me I was using a wrong user name which was different from other areas on their site. So I WAS able to access my account there with the receipt.)
Please post it here!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini5, iPad Pro 11, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, PB 6" Color
Post the receipt? Not sure what you asking. But I think I am done with the conversation as it is all resolved now.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Post the receipt? Not sure what you asking. But I think I am done with the conversation as it is all resolved now.
I suspect that the post was referring to the email you received not the receipt.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
I'm glad you resolved your issue with 'that person'.

I just had to check them out again, after ignoring their site for a long time.

I see they want $524.69 - $770.21 for the ReMarkable 2, which is outrageous.

I can pre-order it from the tablet's creators for $399, to include free express shipping, a folio, and a marker.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-10-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Maybe he has a point.
No. A business that follows up unsuccessful transactions with abusive letters has no right calling anybody any sort of name.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #23
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I don't think that they're doing that any more. But their store is clearly sketchy. And they regularly publish articles where all of the information came from posts here on MobilRead, without any attribution. Nate always gives appropriate attribution for stuff from here.
Everyone makes mistakes and it is possible for malicious people to reform and redeem themselves.

But they have continued to behave badly to present even if they have stopped infringing copyright (although much of their plagiarism is word for word for long stretches).

I've updated my post #10 in this thread with more instances of their malfeasance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Here is the thread from 2010 where goodereader was outed as a copyright infringer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85235

Here is a thread pointing to their self-branded 6.8" ereader scam. The discussion continued for a couple of years.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285702

Here is a thread from 2018 that documents their Indiegogo self-branded 13.3" ereader scam and their rooted Sony DPT-RP1 scam,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292243

Here is a 2019 thread with pointers to a couple of 2019 goodereader editorials decrying copyright infringement but the thread also points to documentation that they were still infringing copyright in 2011 but were trying to disguise that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292243

Here is a thread from this January with an example of poor service and evasiveness:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=326706

This 2019 thread documents some behavior that may or may not cross the boundary from legal to illegal, but is certainly in sleazy territory.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321104

I've omitted the many, many threads documenting the many times they have copied information from mobileread and many other sources, not only without attribution, but also implicitly or explicitly passing it off as their own work.

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-10-2020 at 06:23 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I ordered a PocketBook from goodereader last year or so. I remember feeling uncomfortable about buying from them but they weren't available from anywhere else here in the US. The shipping seemed strange to me; it was shipped from China. I now wonder if it was a grey market one, i.e., one that "fell off a truck" so to speak, rather than from PocketBook Inc.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I ordered a PocketBook from goodereader last year or so. I remember feeling uncomfortable about buying from them but they weren't available from anywhere else here in the US. The shipping seemed strange to me; it was shipped from China. I now wonder if it was a grey market one, i.e., one that "fell off a truck" so to speak, rather than from PocketBook Inc.
The review unit I got from Pocketbook also shipped from China. I guess that is where they have their warehouse?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #26
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe. But it could also be a legitimate use of drop shipping, which can have advantages for all three parties and ecology as well. But the devil is in the circumstances. However, it should always be made clear up front, especially when delivery will be long after the order.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #27
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The review unit I got from Pocketbook also shipped from China. I guess that is where they have their warehouse?
Many items bought from US based amazon third party sellers ship from China (usually by slow boat).
Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #28
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe. But it could also be a legitimate use of drop shipping, which can have advantages for all three parties and ecology as well. But the devil is in the circumstances. However, it should always be made clear up front, especially when delivery will be long after the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

It also says "Made in China" on the back so I think you're both probably right.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #29
scionmessenger
Enthusiast
scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scionmessenger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Color PB633
Hey all, I only have my one experience with goodereader besides watching their videos. I preordered the color pocketbook the first day in April. A week before the July 15th opening day i messaged them to ask about an update. They said they were receiving them and it would take a week or to to ship. Then on July 15th they said they were delayed by 2 weeks, so they lied to me I guess, but 2 weeks later i got a shipping notification, shipped directly from japan, which they have a warehouse. It actually came from China. It came in a week and its awesome. All I saw after ordering was bashing of goodereader so I was worried, but it did come, so I feel lucky. Def wont be ordering from them again though, as it seems 99 out of 100 people have bad experiences!
scionmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmessenger View Post
Hey all, I only have my one experience with goodereader besides watching their videos. I preordered the color pocketbook the first day in April. ...
I think GoodEReader actually gets the products to you now, it just may take a little while. And I think they really are a PocketBook dealer as they seem to get promotional material early. It's just that "we'll receive" the devices "at such and such a time" makes you think they actually will have them in stock (and ready to ship), instead of meaning they'll be drop-shipped from China. Maybe the Color is an exception because it's brand new but I get a feeling all PocketBook orders are drop-shipped now (i.e., ordered from PocketBook after you make your order). You used to see in their store "such and such" number of units in stock for each model but I don't see that anymore. It's fine, so long as you understand the process and know what to expect.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad