Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #16
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 128
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Boox N96
I purchased the cracked Android DPT-RP1 from GoodeReader. I did not have a lot of expectations or needs, I only needed one feature to truly work and work well. That is VNC Viewer so I can use it as a wireless monitor. I am a writer and only need it for typing in a word processor. Browsing the internet is a distant second feature I wanted.

Here are some thoughts.

1. Google PlayStore. I was able to register my gmail account into the PlayStore and I do have access to the PlayStore, but it only works for about a minute at a time. It automatically updates itself and the update locks up the Playstore. I have to go into the application manager and uninstall the updates. I told google not to update any apps automatically in my account settings, but it still does. So I have to go through this process anytime I want to install an app from the PlayStore. Any ideas to fix this would be appreciated.

2. Apps. Apps are hit or miss. Some work flawlessly. Others slow down the device. Others won't work at all and crash while opening. PLEASE NOTE: I WILL NOT TEST APPs FOR PEOPLE. Every time it locks up, I wonder if it will ever come back. I am keeping only the apps I NEED on this device and can't have or use on another device.

3. Keyboard. The keyboard that pops up is a chinese keyboard with English options. There is a toggle to switch back and forth and I often have to indicate that I need the English version. When I kill all apps to free up memory, it resets the keyboard and I have to go into Input options and choose the correct keyboard.

4. Dragging files from my computer was more difficult than I thought it would be. Plugging it into my computer, it did not show the typical android folders that I was used it. In fact there was nothing there, but it did have about roughly 1 gig of space so I dragged files over anyway. In the File Browser, I had to select 'UPLOADER' and this is where it put the files. Took me a while to find this, It was a toggle in the bottom left corner to choose SDCARD or UPLOADER. I can then copy and move files back and forth.

5. E-Ink Wireless Monitor. This is the reason I bought the device. As a writer, my dream machine is an e-ink word processor with a Thinkpad keyboard. So I built it with a Thinkpad x301 and DPT-RP1. VNC VIEWER is solid on the hacked DPT-RP1. With that being said, there is a delay. Part of it is the Virtual Machine delay, part of it is the e-ink delay. Combined, it is a considerable delay but not not enough to deter me from using it.

Other valuable apps that I am using that WORK!
  • Button Savior (Pre-Installed) with home button, back button, page up, page down.
  • Floating Toolbox - An app drawer which expands on demand. It floats and stays on top of all other apps or documents. At any moment, I can tap it and switch to another app.
  • Kaspersky Battery Life - Essentially a task manager which I use to kill apps to save battery and prevent slowdown. I can exclude apps such as 'Button Savior and Floating toolbox'
  • White Screen by bkalman - Basically a page refresh to eliminate ghosting. Ghosting isn't as bad as I thought it would be on the DPT-RP1, but every once in a while, especially when using VNC VIEWER, it comes in handy. Select it and the whole screen goes white, and tap anywhere on the white screen to disengage it.
  • Moon Reader Pro - Is there a better app for epubs? I don't think so, and it works flawlessly.
  • Lightning Browser - My favorite e-ink browser. Increased contrast setting makes a huge difference on an e-ink screen.

In Summary:
After 3 days with the device, it is much more buggy than I thought it would be and surprised by how many apps DON'T work or lock up the device. Wi-Fi does kill the battery considerably more than when the Wi-Fi is off.

The apps I needed to work, VNC VIEWER and LIGHTENING BROWSER, both work great. Again there is a delay, but I expected it because of the nature of VNC technology and eink tech. I am overall happy with my purchase. Additional thoughts and some pictures to follow at some point.

Last edited by jra166; 01-02-2019 at 06:17 PM.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #17
silvertriclops
Junior Member
silvertriclops began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2018
Device: Nook Simple Touch, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post
I purchased the cracked Android DPT-RP1 from GoodeReader. I did not have a lot of expectations or needs, I only needed one feature to truly work and work well. That is VNC Viewer so I can use it as a wireless monitor. I am a writer and only need it for typing in a word processor. Browsing the internet is a distant second feature I wanted.

Here are some thoughts.

1. Google PlayStore. I was able to register my gmail account into the PlayStore and I do have access to the PlayStore, but it only works for about a minute at a time. It automatically updates itself and the update locks up the Playstore. I have to go into the application manager and uninstall the updates. I told google not to update any apps automatically in my account settings, but it still does. So I have to go through this process anytime I want to install an app from the PlayStore. Any ideas to fix this would be appreciated.

2. Apps. Apps are hit or miss. Some work flawlessly. Others slow down the device. Others won't work at all and crash while opening. PLEASE NOTE: I WILL NOT TEST APPs FOR PEOPLE. Every time it locks up, I wonder if it will ever come back. I am keeping only the apps I NEED on this device and can't have or use on another device.

3. Keyboard. The keyboard that pops up is a chinese keyboard with English options. There is a toggle to switch back and forth and I often have to indicate that I need the English version. When I kill all apps to free up memory, it resets the keyboard and I have to go into Input options and choose the correct keyboard.

4. Dragging files from my computer was more difficult than I thought it would be. Plugging it into my computer, it did not show the typical android folders that I was used it. In fact there was nothing there, but it did have about roughly 1 gig of space so I dragged files over anyway. In the File Browser, I had to select 'UPLOADER' and this is where it put the files. Took me a while to find this, It was a toggle in the bottom left corner to choose SDCARD or UPLOADER. I can then copy and move files back and forth.

5. E-Ink Wireless Monitor. This is the reason I bought the device. As a writer, my dream machine is an e-ink word processor with a Thinkpad keyboard. So I built it with a Thinkpad x301 and DPT-RP1. VNC VIEWER is solid on the hacked DPT-RP1. With that being said, there is a delay. Part of it is the Virtual Machine delay, part of it is the e-ink delay. Combined, it is a considerable delay but not not enough to deter me from using it.

Other valuable apps that I am using that WORK!
  • Button Savior (Pre-Installed) with home button, back button, page up, page down.
  • Floating Toolbox - An app drawer which expands on demand. It floats and stays on top of all other apps or documents. At any moment, I can tap it and switch to another app.
  • Kaspersky Battery Life - Essentially a task manager which I use to kill apps to save battery and prevent slowdown. I can exclude apps such as 'Button Savior and Floating toolbox'
  • White Screen by bkalman - Basically a page refresh to eliminate ghosting. Ghosting isn't as bad as I thought it would be on the DPT-RP1, but every once in a while, especially when using VNC VIEWER, it comes in handy. Select it and the whole screen goes white, and tap anywhere on the white screen to disengage it.
  • Moon Reader Pro - Is there a better app for epubs? I don't think so, and it works flawlessly.
  • Lightning Browser - My favorite e-ink browser. Increased contrast setting makes a huge difference on an e-ink screen.

In Summary:
After 3 days with the device, it is much more buggy than I thought it would be and surprised by how many apps DON'T work or lock up the device. Wi-Fi does kill the battery considerably more than when the Wi-Fi is off.

The apps I needed to work, VNC VIEWER and LIGHTENING BROWSER, both work great. Again there is a delay, but I expected it because of the nature of VNC technology and eink tech. I am overall happy with my purchase. Additional thoughts and some pictures to follow at some point.
Thanks for such a detailed response! I already had a device and was able to root it with the XDA guide. In regards to your ponts:

1. I didn't worry about installing the play store and play services on mine, and thanks for letting me know it wouldn't be particularly useful. I do have F-droid and it runs beautifully. For anything else, I've just been using apkmirror or downloading it to my phone or an emulator and copying the apk.

2. The most interesting thing I've found in regards to apps is that MS Word and Onenote run just fine. That is, until you try drawing with the pen, then they crash. As do most pen apps, and the few that do work have terrible lag, as in over a second between drawing and it showing up.

3. Not sure what's up with your keyboard as mine defaults to English. Probably something about the firmware being modified in China, where as I'm modding the US firmware.

4. I actually haven't tried enabling the USB storage while booted in android, but it is pretty easy to enable from recovery mode. As of now I've found it easy enough to just use ADB and Android Commander.

5. Have you considered trying apps like iDisplay or Splashtop XDisplay? I don't own either but they might run faster than VNC. Of course most of the delay is probably eink itself. It updates pretty fast when writing with the stylus; I wonder if someone will figure out how to make the rest of it run that quickly like they did with the Nook back in the day.

Now, I use mine mostly for writing notes that involve lots of math so I use the stylus, and would love to sync it without the crappy desktop and android clients. It's pretty stupid that sony's official DPT sync app requires android 6 while this runs 5.1, so you can't even install that app on it. What would be awesome is if someone could take janten's dpt-rp1-py and make an android GUI for it that could run on the DPT itself. Even better if it can sync directly with google drive and/or dropbox. One problem with that is it would cut storage in half since you're storing every PDF twice, but that can be solved by just syncing certain folders with the app- you put your textbooks on there with the crappy software and use the app to just sync notes that don't take up much space, and set it up to delete old notes if you want. I don't have the expertise or the time to create something like this but it would def be useful.
silvertriclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
Jmirko
Collector in recovery
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Jmirko's Avatar
 
Posts: 396
Karma: 1555507
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Device: see signature
Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail - very interesting!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 128
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Boox N96
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertriclops View Post

5. Have you considered trying apps like iDisplay or Splashtop XDisplay? I don't own either but they might run faster than VNC. Of course most of the delay is probably eink itself. It updates pretty fast when writing with the stylus; I wonder if someone will figure out how to make the rest of it run that quickly like they did with the Nook back in the day.

.
After one evening at Starbucks with VNC viewer, turns out the delay was too much so I looked for an alternative. Discovered 'Spacedesk' which may be the same thing as iDisplay and Splashtop, except it is completely free. WOW. What a difference! The only delay appears to be from the e-ink tech and it is probably as fast as the Boox Max HDMI input if not faster. And it works flawlessly on the DPT-Rp1.

Also started using Samsung Internet Browser which I like a lot. Very smooth and pinch and zoom on any webpage is possible. Between this and Lightning Browser, I think I'm set for browsing the web!

Right now, I couldn't be happier with the hacked DPT-RP1!

Last edited by jra166; 01-04-2019 at 01:27 PM.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:14 AM   #20
xms
Member
xms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it isxms knows what time it is
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 2304
Join Date: Aug 2012
Device: kindke dx us
Rooted with xda tutuorial - all works! Hint: use COMx instead of /dev/tty.xxx if you're using Windows.
Any hints how to change font in default web-browser? (or system-wide) Cause seems default fonts (orig.Chinese?) have enormous char intervals when displaying Cyrillic texts.
p.s. maybe it is useful to make a short list of tested apps (to save our testing time)
For example Rotation_Control_Pro_v.1.1.9 is very useful for forced landscape mode
xms is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 128
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Boox N96
Here is an image of my setup posted to Reddit:

https://i.redd.it/5fj1m5r5ln821.jpg

Last edited by jra166; 01-10-2019 at 10:14 AM.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #22
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 346
Karma: 1240117
Join Date: May 2014
Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xms View Post
Rooted with xda tutuorial - all works! Hint: use COMx instead of /dev/tty.xxx if you're using Windows.
Sounds like 1st confirmed rooting on Windows.

Now just how to enable Bluetooth keyboard functionality.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #23
silvertriclops
Junior Member
silvertriclops began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2018
Device: Nook Simple Touch, Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Sounds like 1st confirmed rooting on Windows.
I actually rooted it on Windows back in November. But the root scripts didn't work right on windows so I used WSL. Not sure if that counts haha.
silvertriclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
hiroshima
Junior Member
hiroshima began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: dtp-rp1
Xodo(reader)
GoldenDict(using with Xodo. http://feedback.xodo.com/knowledgeba...ictionaDropbox )
Dropbox
primitive ftpd(to directly receive files from pc or smart phone)
Lightning(browser)

These apps also worked.
hiroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #25
tomat
Junior Member
tomat began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Device: none
Hello.

Is it possible to do research for .pdfs on the DPT-RP1 in the browser and then open them directly in the native .pdf app?
tomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #26
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 128
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Boox N96
I wanted to add an update to my review of the hacked DPT-RP1.

I have started using the Spacedesk app with USB connection instead of the VNC Viewer. MUCH Faster! This device is everything I now dreamed it would be.

If you have a hacked DPT-RP1 (or any Android device) give Spacedesk a try as n external monitor. You won't be disappointed.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #27
tomat
Junior Member
tomat began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Apr 2019
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post

I have started using the Spacedesk app with USB connection instead of the VNC Viewer. MUCH Faster! This device is everything I now dreamed it would be.

If you have a hacked DPT-RP1 (or any Android device) give Spacedesk a try as n external monitor. You won't be disappointed.
Dear jra166,
I'm glad to read that you found a solution to your needs.
Does the touch function work in any way? It would be handy for example to jump to a certain place in a page of text
tomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #28
jra166
Enthusiast
jra166 doesn't litterjra166 doesn't litter
 
Posts: 43
Karma: 128
Join Date: May 2016
Device: Boox N96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomat View Post
Dear jra166,
I'm glad to read that you found a solution to your needs.
Does the touch function work in any way? It would be handy for example to jump to a certain place in a page of text
Touch is completely functioning and works as it should. As you say, it is great for jumping to a space in the text or accessing menu functions. I will say that with the fast USB connection, I use the mouse or arrow keys with relative ease. Much easer to use than on a VNC connection or even the wireless connection offered with spacedesk.

You should definitely try it out. Would love to hear your thoughts.
jra166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #29
buzicmd
Junior Member
buzicmd began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2019
Device: Sony dpt rp1
bluetooth mouse and keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra166 View Post
Touch is completely functioning and works as it should. As you say, it is great for jumping to a space in the text or accessing menu functions. I will say that with the fast USB connection, I use the mouse or arrow keys with relative ease. Much easer to use than on a VNC connection or even the wireless connection offered with spacedesk.

You should definitely try it out. Would love to hear your thoughts.
How can I connect a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard?
I got a root and installed an android
buzicmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #30
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 346
Karma: 1240117
Join Date: May 2014
Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzicmd View Post
How can I connect a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard?
I got a root and installed an android
By flashing special PKG made by HappyZ from github:
https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/PKGs-I-Made
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
goodereader bad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Javascript to transfer files without using Digital Paper App for Sony DPT-RP1 JS_F Sony Reader 14 09-10-2020 01:31 AM
Someone is selling the cracked version (Android 5.1.1) of Sony DPT RP1 JS_F Sony Reader 14 04-18-2018 08:42 PM
Boox N96 vs Sony DPT-RP1 vs Remarkable - Large eReader Comparison dkccerbero Onyx Boox 5 11-03-2017 08:41 AM
Sony must share the unlock of dpt-rp1 Duolive Sony Reader 4 07-25-2017 10:46 AM
DPT-RP1: The successor to Sony's DPT-S1 davester News 0 04-10-2017 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.